PDA

View Full Version : Salmon trolling rods?

Sheepdog8404
09-04-2019, 01:33 PM
I was curious what rods are preferred by anyone who does a lot of salmon trolling. It sounds like anything from 8.5-10’ and medium heavy-heavy is pretty standard. But I was just curious if there are any models in particular that stand out. Probably under 200 bucks would be nice. Mainly interested in downstream trolling with Silvertrons and Kwikfish.

Thanks for the help!

Mr T
09-04-2019, 01:43 PM
I am a big fan of fiberglass for trolling rods, for shock absorption. In the ocean, I use Lamiglas Classic Glass series, they make 'em in 8-9 ft ranges and price out around $120 each.

No reason that would not work for you.

Silvertrons and Kwikfish pull quite different in the water though. I use a lighter rod for spinners.

John Sv
09-04-2019, 01:46 PM
subscribed...
I'd like a salmon trolling rod that is ocean-able and river-able... are they too different?
(not to hijack this thread...)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2019, 06:12 PM
I think it is two rods / outfits......both conventional rods and reels

Trolling in the ocean is one conventional rod...heavier action and heavier tip.

Down rigger or drop weight fishing.

Mooching in the ocean can be a lighter rod.

Trolling in fresh water can be the same rod as mooching in the saltwater.

Pulling plugs in fresh water can be the same rod as the SW mooching and fresh water trolling.

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/classic-glass-series

I think fiberglass is more durable than graphite but slower/softer and heavier.

tcorfey
09-04-2019, 08:05 PM
With conventional rigs my general rod of choice is a Seeker SH804SA 8' rated 8-20lb test, I use them with a Shimano Charter Special TR 1000 Lever Drag reel and 17lb test line. This setup is very versatile and I use this to fish for Salmon, Halibut and Stripers. They work well regardless of if I am using a downrigger, a plug or for bouncing.

Regards,

Tim C.

Mr T
09-04-2019, 08:33 PM
I think it is two rods / outfits......both conventional rods and reels

Trolling in the ocean is one conventional rod...heavier action and heavier tip.

Down rigger or drop weight fishing.

Mooching in the ocean can be a lighter rod.

Trolling in fresh water can be the same rod as mooching in the saltwater.

Pulling plugs in fresh water can be the same rod as the SW mooching and fresh water trolling.

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/classic-glass-series

I think fiberglass is more durable than graphite but slower/softer and heavier.

With conventional rigs my general rod of choice is a Seeker SH804SA 8' rated 8-20lb test, I use them with a Shimano Charter Special TR 1000 Lever Drag reel and 17lb test line. This setup is very versatile and I use this to fish for Salmon, Halibut and Stripers. They work well regardless of if I am using a downrigger, a plug or for bouncing.

Regards,

Tim C.

All spot on comments.

For drop weight fishing I use an Ugly Stik, they make a series of 7 foot that have a very soft tip for the first third and get real strong the lower third, it shows a bite well, and still has the lifting power to muscle that 2.5 lb ball around. And lets face it its a hard life, so a tough rod here pays off.

I like a 2 speed reel for this, usually an avet MXJ 6/4

For down riggers, full flex is my favorite, as it will flex all the way to the butt- sometime you have a 150-200 foot drop to the down rigger clip. When you get bit, that's a lot of of line out there flopping around.

Again the Avet MXJ 6/4 is about right.

For mooching, Tim nailed it. Lots of guys will use the same 8.5 ft 8-20 rod they use in the river for flossing with a low profile bait caster. Because you have to use circle hooks when mooching, a slower-ish action is good there.

If you are going to go with one rod/reel for spinners and Kwikfish in the rivers, Tim's suggestion is great. I've used Seekers for tuna for years now and they are just top notch gear. The same can be said for the Charter Special - Shimano has made that reel for over 20 years now and they almost never leave a line out there that long. That says something!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2019, 10:51 PM
My wife and I are big Ugly Stik fans, as are many others.

Not sexy but tough and cheap, especially when you have lots of grand kids.

Rossflyguy
09-05-2019, 06:15 AM
Trolling the Sac or Rio Vista I use the Okuma Guide Select 10’6” rods.

I use the 360 flashers with cut plugs or 3.5 spinners. I rig them with 10-16 oz weights depending on current speed and depth. So my rods are long enough for an 8’ leader setup and heavy enough to handle the weight and flasher drag. They are awesome rods for the price. Just as important is having a line counter reel to keep track of your rig depth. I use a Lexa 300 line counter.

Saying that, I’ve now committed to catching salmon in the Rio Vista/Walnut Grove area solely on the fly. Been wanting to do it since last year and reading Anglers Coast was the push to just focus on it. BUT I’ll have a jigging rod just in case. ha ha ha. Gotta fill the freezer.

mems
09-05-2019, 09:50 AM
https://edgerods.com/salmon-and-steelhead

Try these.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2019, 12:58 PM
A friend who has trolled over on our West coast of CA for about 30 years uses electric down riggers.

His favorite rod is the Lamiglas CG 90 DR

https://www.lamiglas.com/products/cg-90-dr-classic-glass-15-30-9-salmon-troll-plug-downrigger?variant=58876083083

His favorite reel is the Shimano Triton 2000 Charter Special

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-CHARTER_SPECIAL.html

Sheepdog8404
09-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I was at Sportsman's today and checking out the Lamiglas X11 series. They have a 8'6" Heavy rod rated for 12-25lb line that sounds about perfect. They're only 100 bucks so I was thinking of picking one up. I don't feel like dropping 300 bucks on a first trolling rod right now and have heard that spending more on a reel seems to be a better investment than breaking the bank on a rod... at least right now. Any experience with these rods?

Rossflyguy
09-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I was at Sportsman's today and checking out the Lamiglas X11 series. They have a 8'6" Heavy rod rated for 12-25lb line that sounds about perfect. They're only 100 bucks so I was thinking of picking one up. I don't feel like dropping 300 bucks on a first trolling rod right now and have heard that spending more on a reel seems to be a better investment than breaking the bank on a rod... at least right now. Any experience with these rods?

Sent a pm for ya

Sheepdog8404
09-05-2019, 05:07 PM
I am a big fan of fiberglass for trolling rods, for shock absorption. In the ocean, I use Lamiglas Classic Glass series, they make 'em in 8-9 ft ranges and price out around $120 each.

No reason that would not work for you.

Silvertrons and Kwikfish pull quite different in the water though. I use a lighter rod for spinners.

Mr T,

When you say you like a lighter rod for spinners, are you referring to trolling with big silvertrons? What action are you preferring then?

John Sv
09-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Rossflyguy, please keep us in the loop on your fly success!!

Trolling the Sac or Rio Vista I use the Okuma Guide Select 10’6” rods.

I use the 360 flashers with cut plugs or 3.5 spinners. I rig them with 10-16 oz weights depending on current speed and depth. So my rods are long enough for an 8’ leader setup and heavy enough to handle the weight and flasher drag. They are awesome rods for the price. Just as important is having a line counter reel to keep track of your rig depth. I use a Lexa 300 line counter.

Saying that, I’ve now committed to catching salmon in the Rio Vista/Walnut Grove area solely on the fly. Been wanting to do it since last year and reading Anglers Coast was the push to just focus on it. BUT I’ll have a jigging rod just in case. ha ha ha. Gotta fill the freezer.

Mr T
09-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Hey Bill, I know we veered off the rails as far as a fly fishing board goes, thanks for tolerating the chat!

Mr T,

When you say you like a lighter rod for spinners, are you referring to trolling with big silvertrons? What action are you preferring then?

Sheepdog, I am. When I troll(ed) spinners, I used okuma walleye trolling rods in the 8-20 range. The latest version are called the dead eye series.. I fished slow downstream just enough to get the blade to flop- not spin like crazy. using a 2 oz bait walker sinker, i could hold right off the bottom going down current pretty well.

Rossflyguy, please keep us in the loop on your fly success!!

Rossflyguy, please do update us - as an aside I've started fishing for the landlocked kings in Oroville and have a good time using the traditional hoochies, but wanted to try a fly to imitate the smelt that dominate the food chain.

So I came up with a tube fly that might work well.14973

Rossflyguy
09-05-2019, 08:27 PM
I’ve been tying flies used in the estuaries back in the 50’s. Different color variations and a little more weight. Was even playing with a Comet on a jig hook with some weight. The most efficient way of salmon fishing the lower lower Sac is jigging. Not sure why I can’t mimic a jigging action with a fly near the bottom like the conventional setup.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2019, 10:20 PM
The best rivers to catch fresh run King salmon are the Eel, Smith and Chetco.

November is a good time to go there.

One of the problems is they have a low flow closure to protect this fish.

The mouth of the Rogue and Klamath rivers in September can be good too.

Getting them as they come through the Delta sounds good.

I know that some Delta fly anglers have caught them while fishing for Stripers.

They can be caught at the mouth of the American, Feather and Yuba rivers too.