PDA

View Full Version : I fly fish most of the time with a weight forward floating line.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2019, 02:41 PM
....a knotless tapered leader and a light fly, barbless................for almost everything that swims.

To be able to catch anything doing this I need to seriously select my places, the time of year and the time of day.

For trout I like to fish dries on top or strip or swing wet flies so I am looking for hatches.

For bass I fish the spring time for top water and fish early and late in the day with poppers spring, summer and fall.

For Steelhead I fish in the Fall, Sept/Oct/Nov, with a leader as long as my rod and an unweighted Classic dark winged fly, AM and PM or in the shade.

For tropical salt water flats fishing most everyone fishes a floating line for Bones and Permit.

For Tarpon I like the AM in shallower flats in the warm months with smaller aggressive size fish. Poppers, Hairbugs and unweight flies all work, especially if it is calm.

I use mostly a floater in Baja for everything but many might never use a floater. I like poppers and airheads for Dorado, Jacks, Trevally and Roosterfish.

You can catch Shad with a floating line very late in the day....

I don't mind a sink-tip but I don't like casting fast sinking lines and Clousers and not a big fan of indicators.

The main reason I fish this way is the fact that it is fun and challenging but also the casting is so nice.

I don't recommend this style to everyone because you have to be happy with catching less fish.

When I started fly fishing there were no sink-tips, 30' shooting heads were just invented, there were no indicator until the 1980s?

If I go out in the Delta I would fish a Rio OBS #6 sink integrated line with a Clouser type fly.

If I floated the lower Sac I would probably fish the traditional 2 fly indo rig but maybe swing flies in the PM?

In lakes in the day time with no hatch I would use a WF5I clear slow singing full line. Indo fishing in a lake has to be the worst?

I don't have to get high numbers of fish so my system works for me.

cmcdhuibh
08-10-2019, 09:48 PM
How much has your technique changed after you learned to use a double hand rod?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2019, 09:59 PM
Because I am 74 now I only fish Steelhead in the Fall so I only use a Scandi floating head with a 12' long tapered leader and an unweighted classic winged fly. Early and late or in the shade I use dark flies.

I would use a Scandi with a fast sinking Poly/Versi leader to get down in the day time or colder months.

I am not a great Spey caster yet because I just have not put in the time.

Top two hand/ Spey Steelheaders Al Perryman and Jason Hartwick use mostly floating Scandi heads with long leaders in the Fall.

I am excited that the younger and tougher crowd is Spey casting for winter Steelhead.

I think they use floating Skagit heads with MOW tips and tube flies.