PDA

View Full Version : Basic Striper Set Up For The American?

Troutsource
07-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Would a 6-wt switch rod, standard floating line, a stout leader and a streamer cut it for stripers while wading / shore fishing?

Thinking of going for halfpounders & stripers Saturday evening. I've fished halfpounders many times, but never stripers. What about swinging a streamer for the stripers, with a Fox's Poopah trailer for the halfpounders (letting it swing into the shallows)?

Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-17-2019, 06:06 PM
A 6 weight Switch rod has the effective power of an 8 weight single hand fly rod so you will OK.....

I would go to Paradise Beach early and late for Stripers.

Call Andy Guibord or go by Kiene's fly shop on the weekend when he works for better advice than I can give you on the Lower American River.

Troutsource
07-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Bill.

David Lee
07-25-2019, 12:18 PM
There's a method of fishing for Stripers from the East Coast - fishing Flatwing Streamers on a dry line . A switch setup would lend itself quite nicely to it . Google 'Striper Moon' and have a look . Only think I'd suggest is fishing a longer leader than usual - start w/ 12 feet , and try 14-16 when you feel confident (Stripe can see everything , and the larger ones are leery and aware like mad !) .

I fish Flatwings for different species , as I don't fish freshwater anymore - do your research and give it a try !!

D.~