PDA

View Full Version : fishing buddy question

Deckstar
07-09-2019, 10:33 AM
So I recently went fishing with my go-to fishing buddy, we drifted our regular favorite river.
While I was on the sticks his rod got a birds nest so I let him use my rod which was rigged up ready to go. While he was casting the rod broke in the middle of one of the sections on a back cast, almost looked like a section came apart while casting. but it was broke clean through. I don't hear so well so I can't tell if he hit the rod with split shot while casting. it was rigged up with a standard double nymph set up.

He thinks since he 'was just casting it' that it wasn't his fault and thus isn't obligated to cover the repair costs. I am choosing to be a bit mellow about this but it still doesn't sit right with me. If I was using his rod, I'd offer to cover the cost or at least 1/2 of it. this rod is an XP so instead of the normal $75, it's $150. for me, it's not about the money as much as the principle of it. the rod is already getting repaired as I write this.

so my question is do you think I am being unreasonable if I ask him to chip in and help cover the repair cost?

WLREDBAND
07-09-2019, 10:40 AM
This is just me, but if I broke the rod while it was in my hands, I'd pay the Sage rod fix-it fee, all of it. Methinks you need to find a new fishing buddy!

Darian
07-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Like WLREDBAND, if I broke the rod while it was in my hands, I'd pay the repair fee. But, are you sure that the cause of the break was your buddies casting?? You said you couldn't hear a shot strike the rod.... To me, whether you should find a new "....go-to fishing buddy...." or not this is big enough issue to end a friendship. Does the friendship extend beyond fishing activities and do you want to give 'im a break??

JasonB
07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
I think you’ve answered your own question when you say that it doesn’t sit right with you. My gut reaction is similar others opinion: if I broke a rod my buddy loaned me I would pay to repair or replace it. I suppose it does depend a bit more on circumstances though. For instance, if I was just making a few normal casts with nothing that should stress the blank and it was more likely the blank was already compromised somehow and just happened to finally give out while my hands, that might feel a bit different. I’d hope anyone I was fishing with would be forthcoming in such a situation too. If in doubt I would offer to pay either way, personally.
Sounds like you feel it was unclear if your friend caused the breakage, or if the blank was somehow compromised. You were also doing him a favor. I don’t think you should foot the bill yourself here, at least splitting the cost seems reasonable to me. I’d let him know it’s sitting funny with you, and I’d mention that above all else it’s important to not let a small sum of money tarnish a good friendship. I’d guess he would feel the same and perhaps you guys can work something out to put it to rest. Good luck
JB

Siskiyoublues
07-09-2019, 04:04 PM
It sounds like it broke over something that had happened prior to the rod breaking mid cast. He just had the bad fortune of holding it when it finally went. It is what it is. I would pay the fee myself and get over it.

Deckstar
07-09-2019, 05:48 PM
thanks for the input fellas. i appreciate getting different perspectives. it'll be water-under-the-bridge once i get my rod back from sage. i guess the fact that I'm "missing my baby" is making me hyper focus on it a bit. there honestly was no way to really tell what caused it to break. i take care of my gear but I also use it so I guess that's just part of fishin and why I always fish with Sage rods. I had a nice Winston B2X 5wt and after a repair took a couple months, I sold it once I got it back. time to get a decent back up rod. My buddy and I are good, just maybe next time I'll just anchor up and wait for him to re-rig up before offering my gear. but seriously, i hate missing good water and a chance at a good fish more than what occurred. peace out, trout! JD

JohnR
07-09-2019, 07:46 PM
I've got an even more pressing decision regarding keeping or dumping my fishing buddy who broke one of my rods on Saturday. My buddy quietly wandered behind me while carrying my loaner rod, while I was backcasting, and my backcast wrapped and busted the tip section like a hot knife through butter.

The issue is we own a house and two dogs together, commingle bank accounts, and we even sleep in the same bed. Not sure this is the hill I want to die on...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Rods usually break sometime after they have been fractured by something.

More than likely it would have broken on who ever cast it at that time.

It could have been fracture months before and then just got the right load to break it.

Without the unconditional lifetime warranty on fly rods it would probably be $300 for a new tip section.

The best thing that happened to shop owners was the onset of the lifetime warranty.

Orvis started it all with their 25 year unconditional lifetime warranty............

Deckstar
08-17-2019, 05:06 PM
update: so i decided to keep things mellow with my buddy, just got my rod back from Sage today, since it took about 2 months to complete the repair, they refunded the $150 repair fee, so that is amazing customer service by Sage! they ended up rebuilding 3 of the 4 sections and refinished the cork grip, so basically I have brand new Sage XP 697-4 ! and no, it's not for sale!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Good......

Carl Blackledge
08-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Deckstar,

I have lent many -many rods to my friends, and to keep them my friends I always have an understanding with each guy. " If I lend you my rod and it breaks, you agree to pay for all repairs and postage?" By being 100% clear from the gate, there won't be any
misunderstanding with a friend, Now after that being said, If I am with him and on the first or 2nd cast the thing breaks, I am going to think that the rod was "wounded" befour i handed it to him, and wouldn't charge him anything. but that's just me. My buddy in Mexico this year strung up his new rod in the room and the fly line hung up on the bed spread, he pulled the line tight and the rod snapped in half, Now If I had lent him that rod, that would have been a tough one to call, It's better to buy your own stuff and don't test your friendship ...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

amoeba
08-18-2019, 10:57 PM
It sounds like it broke over something that had happened prior to the rod breaking mid cast. He just had the bad fortune of holding it when it finally went. It is what it is. I would pay the fee myself and get over it.

I agree with this point of view.

amoeba
08-18-2019, 11:12 PM
Deckstar,

I have lent many -many rods to my friends, and to keep them my friends I always have an understanding with each guy. " If I lend you my rod and it breaks, you agree to pay for all repairs and postage?" By being 100% clear from the gate, there won't be any
misunderstanding with a friend, Now after that being said, If I am with him and on the first or 2nd cast the thing breaks, I am going to think that the rod was "wounded" befour i handed it to him, and wouldn't charge him anything. but that's just me. My buddy in Mexico this year strung up his new rod in the room and the fly line hung up on the bed spread, he pulled the line tight and the rod snapped in half, Now If I had lent him that rod, that would have been a tough one to call, It's better to buy your own stuff and don't test your friendship ...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

And I don’t agree with this point of view.

Carl Blackledge
08-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Amoeba,

I think I said in my post that, "If i thought the rod had been wounded"? Then I wouldn't ask my friend to pay for it. So actually I don't understand your post. However your welcome to your opinion, Just like I am.

Carl Blackledge

WLREDBAND
08-19-2019, 07:39 AM
I agree with this point of view.

Remind me to never lend you two any of my fly rods!!! :rolleyes:
I'm with Carl on this one.

Siskiyoublues
08-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Remind me to never lend you two any of my fly rods!!! :rolleyes:
I'm with Carl on this one.

That was confusing. because my name is Carl too.
:rolleyes:

avidangler
08-20-2019, 12:09 PM
That was confusing. because my name is Carl too.
:rolleyes:

I'm with Carl :p