PDA

View Full Version : Delta Smallmouth fishing with my son

MHeuch
07-04-2019, 10:00 AM
My son and I went smallmouth fishing with Captain Bryce Tedford on the Sacramento in the Delta.
caught about 20 fish (1/2 of them dinks). Fished mostly poppers, 3 real good sized fish, one was caught on a Clouser. Had a good time. (see pic)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the post......

Hope to get the photo upload problem fixed.

Captain Bryce Tedford is the Delta Smallmouth guy......

It is good all summer.......and into the fall (June - Oct?)

Bryce it is a good trip for taking out a seasoned fly fisher with a beginner fly fisher.

Top water early and late.

MHeuch
07-09-2019, 06:21 PM
2nd attempt to upload a picture

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Nice to have the photos again.......

Trouter925
07-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Hi MHeuch. How was the river current in the areas you were fishing? I have a kayak and have been staying away as they were still very strong when I did some recon a couple weeks ago.

Rossflyguy
07-11-2019, 08:03 AM
You should look at the tide schedules to determine current strength

MHeuch
07-11-2019, 07:05 PM
There was quite a bit of current. The best fishing seems to be when the current is flowing the fastest (low tide). We were on the main river channel of the Sac. where the passing boats go full speed, so the wakes would be a bit challenging for a kayak.

I have fished the Georgiana slough from my canoe, lauchning from the public fishing access park. I launch near high tide, paddle up-stream and fish low tide. I use an anchor to hold in the fishy spots. Downside, not as many rod-bending fish, mostly little ones.

MHeuch
07-11-2019, 07:25 PM
FYI you can find tide info for the area on the site:
https://tides.willyweather.com/ca/sacramento-county/georgiana-slough.html