PDA

View Full Version : Frenchman's or Lake Davis reports?

EricO
06-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Hi All,

Was just wondering if there were any good reports on either of these lakes.

I think a month or two ago there was one, but haven't seen anything since.

Thanks,
Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2019, 05:24 PM
June should be very good but I will check......

Kaiyasdad
06-10-2019, 10:10 PM
I put the report a while back. We went a few weeks after that report to Frenchman and fished same area by launch ramp and worked back toward where water comes in by campground. We till caught quite a few but it was was slower and fish were much deeper. we had to fish 20-30ft depths. Might wanna try other side of the lake toward other ramp or Turkey Point area. I think we just lucked out cause the main ramp and even the campgrounds were closed so there was no one else there. No boat traffic at all.

Think everyone is fishing Pyramid Lake right now.

EricO
06-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Thank you KD...I recall you did well....looks like a full sink line might not even get to them.

Thanks for the reply.

Eric

Kaiyasdad
06-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Thank you KD...I recall you did well....looks like a full sink line might not even get to them.

Thanks for the reply.

Eric

We use sa uniform sink 4 most of time.

OceanSunfish
06-11-2019, 11:46 PM
20-30' ?!

Water temperature already too warm?

Kaiyasdad
06-12-2019, 05:25 PM
20-30' ?!

Water temperature already too warm?

Fish r not on bottom but in 20-30ft suspended. Probably 10-15ft down.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-12-2019, 09:34 PM
My friend Don Rotsma who lived on Davis Lake and guided there just told me he would be going out to Davis and Frenchman soon and......

...........would report back to me.

He said that Davis Lake is going to be planted by CF&W soon because it doesn't have many fish but they are big.

Last night Don was just running his big boat for the first time this summer on Frenchman.

He said there was a Blood Midge emergence.....

OceanSunfish
06-12-2019, 11:30 PM
Fish r not on bottom but in 20-30ft suspended. Probably 10-15ft down.

Thanks. On the bottom at that depth happens............ glad, not yet.

OceanSunfish
06-12-2019, 11:37 PM
My friend Don Rotsma who lived on Davis Lake and guided there just told me he would be going out to Davis and Frenchman soon and......

...........would report back to me.

He said that Davis Lake is going to be planted by CF&W soon because it doesn't have many fish but they are big.

The bigger the trout, the more bass fry they'll eat.................. need balance restored in that lake...... snails too.

Miss the "old" Davis Lake...... sans Pike, Ick and too many bass.

Can you believe it's been 20+ years since the first treatment?!?!?! 10+ since the 2nd treatment. Never been the same.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2019, 09:29 AM
"Lake Davis is an artificial lake in Plumas County, California near the Sierra Nevada community of Portola. It's waters are impounded by Grizzly Valley Dam, which was completed in 1966. The lake is named for Lester T. Davis (1906-1952)."

I have been in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento for over 50 years so I remember Davis Lake in the 1970s.

The first 10 to 20 years of any new reservoir are always fantastic fishing with all the biomass breaking down.

Back then we heard stories that people from Reno, Nevada would drive to Davis lake with a Boy Scout troupe.

Every kid would get a limit of 10 fish to take home.

It was so wild that people gave away their catches so they could keep fishing.

I was not really know as a fly fishing lake back then.......it was know as a fish factory.

Jet
06-16-2019, 06:00 PM
I fished both last Saturday thru Wednesday and water temps were getting high. Davis was 68 and not many damselflies and fish were spread out. Wind can ruin your whole day and it seems more frequent now. I picked up nice trout and large mouth. Damsels are week/s off and temps could be too high for C&R.

I think I’m done with Davis for a while and will spend more time learning Frenchman’s.

Mornings and evenings were more productive and some killer action during night hatches. Only fished lurker cove and the 3 coves to the north. Large populations of minnows cruising the shores with some larger fish gulping along the banks. Water temps are a little better than Davis. If I had to choose I would go to Frenchman’s. We had a double digit day and some were 16” or more as I lost a 3-4 lbs rainbow. I think the fish size will continue to grow with that abundant food source.

Gene also post report on Granite Bay Facebook page.
Good luck and tight lines.

Jet

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the detailed report.....

OceanSunfish
06-18-2019, 01:05 AM
I see the Davis Lake is about 3K from full pool! That's great. "Damsels are weeks off" Any particular reason? Long winter with only a recent spike in water temps?

Jet
06-19-2019, 05:52 PM
I was basing that of intel from the Grizzly store on Davis lake. Not sure what others are seeing but the last few years have been good for water quantity but temps seem to get higher earlier and bugs seem to be later than normal.

OceanSunfish
06-20-2019, 12:45 AM
Thanks for sharing the info.

The lake is in need of good fortune and luck. Sad.