PDA

View Full Version : Custom made wooden prams, Seattle, WA.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-08-2019, 08:41 PM
SeaDog Boats

http://stevetheseadog.tripod.com/pricing.htm

Carl Blackledge
06-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Bill,

With all due respect-anybody that buys any kind of wooden pram is in for a lifetime of maintenance....in the northern Calif and southern Oregon rivers I fish, you can't even go one season on a new paint job without it being scratched and dented in several spots and i am really careful...If I had a wooden pram like so many of my buddies i would be constantly be redoing all starches. Anyplace that is scratched is a potential leak and possible dry rot spot later---NO thank you, perhaps light lake use, certainly not a River-my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

tcorfey
06-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Nice looking Pram and lightweight too. This would be perfect on Baum Lake or any of the smaller lakes in the Sierras. Pricing seems reasonable too. I applaud these small boat builders for keeping up the tradition!

Regards,

Tim C.

Scott V
06-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Bill,

With all due respect-anybody that buys any kind of wooden pram is in for a lifetime of maintenance....in the northern Calif and southern Oregon rivers I fish, you can't even go one season on a new paint job without it being scratched and dented in several spots and i am really careful...If I had a wooden pram like so many of my buddies i would be constantly be redoing all starches. Anyplace that is scratched is a potential leak and possible dry rot spot later---NO thank you, perhaps light lake use, certainly not a River-my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Mistake number 1 is painting a wooden pram. Why would someone paint one?

Carl Blackledge
06-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Scott,

Lots of the guys who build wood boats put paint in the fiberglass, then when you scratch it, it's easy to see and fix. If you actually scratch it deep enough and water gets on the wood it will start to rot.

I have aluminum pram and don't have to worry about scratching it and getting a leak, however I still don't like to scratch the pain job, hope that makes sense.

Carl

atuvilla
07-13-2019, 10:44 PM
I have a 2004 Tatman drift boat that looks like new. I have only put one thin coat of varnish in its lifetime.... and we definitely us it.

atuvilla
07-13-2019, 10:47 PM
Hopefully i can get a picture uploaded.

stonefish
07-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Those are nice boats.
Lots of folks use this type of boat strictly for lake fishing in the PNW.
They are perfect for that purpose.
SF