PDA

View Full Version : Some Western steelhead rods - bamboo and glass

L Kenney
04-26-2019, 03:54 PM
FS or trade 9’3” 2/1 Winston semi hollow bamboo 5 1/2 oz. Excellent condition with Winston downlocking Bakelite reel seat and fixed 2.5” fighting butt. This is a 1971-built single tip rod by Doug Merrick (serial number 99xx) in excellent, largely unfished condition. Winston catalogs list it for WF9 or ST10. NCP putty wraps, original buyer’s name on butt under the Winston signature. Factory red Winston cloth sack and Winston labeled aluminum tube. $575 shipped in CONUS.

FS or Trade: 9’5” Jack Schneider 6 7/8 oz. 2/2 solid built, refinished bamboo #9 line.
Schneider was a champion tournament caster and bamboo rod builder from San Jose, California who died in the mid 1950s. His rods were fine casting tools, characterized by an idiosyncratic thumb rest “hammer” grip that came out of his tournament casting. I bought this rod from a board member and it was in poor shape. Based on Jack’s signature n the butt, it had been first built by him. But It had since been crudely redone by someone and had seen hard use. The ferrules were worn and loose, the grip pretty trashed, the reel seat hood crushed and the guides a combination of early ceramic strippers and Foul Proof snakes. I was looking for a project and ended up stripping the rod entirely save for Schneider’s signature (to which I added a note that it was redone by me in 2018.) I refinished the blank in poly spar, replaced the ferrules, replaced the reel seat with a bronze all aluminum one and, and rather than try to construct Schneider’s odd cork thumb rest grip, built a new 6.5” grip with a Wells shape (that was heretical, one friend told me.) New black nickel snakes and two Mildrum stripping guides were wrapped in dark red/chestnut nylon, double wrapped at the foot for 8-10 turns like Winston, Powell, Howells and Schneider used to do. One tip is a bit finer at the top than the other, and I’ve read that other Schneiders were built that way too. Both tips handle 9 weight forward lines and 300-330 grain heads. It’s a very nice casting rod, though clearly no lightweight. I put more into the rod than I’ll ever get out of it, but it was an interesting project and I hated to see the rod moulder away. So……$295 and it’s yours, shipped, in a cloth sack and PVC tube.

FS Winston Fiberglass 9’0” 10 wgt. 2/1, 4 7/8 oz., factory built rod, with SF Winston logo decal, so pre 1976. White spigot ferrule with excellent ferrule fit. Wrapped red with (faded) white trim at HK, ferrule and tip top. Mildrum stripper plus 3 stainless ring guides as was Winston’s practice. Bright snakes and top. Winston SF Tournament Decal. Champagne colored downlocking Cal Air CA3 morticed aluminum reel seat. SF factory red cloth sack and Winston SF tube. Sack has shrunk a bit and there’s one dent in the tube. A superb rod for coastal steelhead and salmon. Excellent condition. $225 shipped in CONUS. I have the 9 wgt version of this rod available also at the same price.

FS JK Fisher Fiberglass 8’9” 10 wgt. (330 gr shooting head) 2/1 5.0 oz. Built by me on an early Fisher blank as a rod for coastal king salmon. It has a painted bronze finish rather than the normal brown finish, so likely an early blank. Black spigot ferrule with excellent fit. Wrapped in chestnut brown with yellow trim at grip, ferrule and tip top. Mildrum stripping guides and Snake Brand snakes. Cloth sack only. Very good condition with a paint scratch or two on the butt. A nice casting rod with enough beef in the butt for king salmon. $145 shipped in CONUS.

Check or money order preferred. If you’re into trades, I’m looking for an 9 ft 5 1/4 oz Winston bamboo, or a comparable EC Powell at 9 ft to 9’6”.

PM me with your email for images.

Larry Kenney

R.L. Troutman
04-05-2023, 07:57 PM
FS or trade 9’3” 2/1 Winston semi hollow bamboo 5 1/2 oz. Excellent condition with Winston downlocking Bakelite reel seat and fixed 2.5” fighting butt. This is a 1971-built single tip rod by Doug Merrick (serial number 99xx) in excellent, largely unfished condition. Winston catalogs list it for WF9 or ST10. NCP putty wraps, original buyer’s name on butt under the Winston signature. Factory red Winston cloth sack and Winston labeled aluminum tube. $575 shipped in CONUS.

FS or Trade: 9’5” Jack Schneider 6 7/8 oz. 2/2 solid built, refinished bamboo #9 line.
Schneider was a champion tournament caster and bamboo rod builder from San Jose, California who died in the mid 1950s. His rods were fine casting tools, characterized by an idiosyncratic thumb rest “hammer” grip that came out of his tournament casting. I bought this rod from a board member and it was in poor shape. Based on Jack’s signature n the butt, it had been first built by him. But It had since been crudely redone by someone and had seen hard use. The ferrules were worn and loose, the grip pretty trashed, the reel seat hood crushed and the guides a combination of early ceramic strippers and Foul Proof snakes. I was looking for a project and ended up stripping the rod entirely save for Schneider’s signature (to which I added a note that it was redone by me in 2018.) I refinished the blank in poly spar, replaced the ferrules, replaced the reel seat with a bronze all aluminum one and, and rather than try to construct Schneider’s odd cork thumb rest grip, built a new 6.5” grip with a Wells shape (that was heretical, one friend told me.) New black nickel snakes and two Mildrum stripping guides were wrapped in dark red/chestnut nylon, double wrapped at the foot for 8-10 turns like Winston, Powell, Howells and Schneider used to do. One tip is a bit finer at the top than the other, and I’ve read that other Schneiders were built that way too. Both tips handle 9 weight forward lines and 300-330 grain heads. It’s a very nice casting rod, though clearly no lightweight. I put more into the rod than I’ll ever get out of it, but it was an interesting project and I hated to see the rod moulder away. So……$295 and it’s yours, shipped, in a cloth sack and PVC tube.

FS Winston Fiberglass 9’0” 10 wgt. 2/1, 4 7/8 oz., factory built rod, with SF Winston logo decal, so pre 1976. White spigot ferrule with excellent ferrule fit. Wrapped red with (faded) white trim at HK, ferrule and tip top. Mildrum stripper plus 3 stainless ring guides as was Winston’s practice. Bright snakes and top. Winston SF Tournament Decal. Champagne colored downlocking Cal Air CA3 morticed aluminum reel seat. SF factory red cloth sack and Winston SF tube. Sack has shrunk a bit and there’s one dent in the tube. A superb rod for coastal steelhead and salmon. Excellent condition. $225 shipped in CONUS. I have the 9 wgt version of this rod available also at the same price.

FS JK Fisher Fiberglass 8’9” 10 wgt. (330 gr shooting head) 2/1 5.0 oz. Built by me on an early Fisher blank as a rod for coastal king salmon. It has a painted bronze finish rather than the normal brown finish, so likely an early blank. Black spigot ferrule with excellent fit. Wrapped in chestnut brown with yellow trim at grip, ferrule and tip top. Mildrum stripping guides and Snake Brand snakes. Cloth sack only. Very good condition with a paint scratch or two on the butt. A nice casting rod with enough beef in the butt for king salmon. $145 shipped in CONUS.

Check or money order preferred. If you’re into trades, I’m looking for an 9 ft 5 1/4 oz Winston bamboo, or a comparable EC Powell at 9 ft to 9’6”.

PM me with your email for images.

Larry Kenney

Larry, do you still have this rod? I’m researching and writing a book about Jack Schneider and would like to acquire one of his rods. Also interested in how you came by this rod. Does it have Jack’s signature on one of the flats? Thanks, Richard Landerman

Rich Morrison
04-06-2023, 12:19 AM
Rather than revive threads that are old you’d be a lot better off sending private messages to the original poster.