PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Knee pads

stefanoflo
04-26-2019, 12:02 PM
anyone use knee pad along with your waders while fishing?? I see they use them on the International competitive level .also
I was glancing over my Harbor Freight catalog and i see they sell magnetic Wrist Bands , that might be something to look at for putting a few flies on it for a quick change so i can add and subtract flies in a hurry.

EricO
04-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Hi Stefano,

I use sliding knee pads (the kind for baseball) depending on the rivers I am fishing...like the Pit, Upper Sac, and
even Big Truckee. Have banged my kneecap too many times. The ones I have are fairly thin but give enough
protection. I primarily use them wet wading, but do put them under my waders on rough wading spots.

Last year I bought some soccer shin guards. With the gel knee pads to cover my kneecaps I'm covered
pretty well. And when wet wading it helps quite a bit with brush and thorns. The jury is still out whether
the shin guards will last...the Pit tore em up pretty good last year.

Eric

pgw
04-29-2019, 10:43 AM
..I recycled my soccer shin guards from my Tach Squad days for protection fishing the Pit. I wear long socks into which I cram the shinguards before the waders went on...I started using them again on the Gallatin River in some of the boulder gardens...works well, sepecially wnen leaning against rocks in speedier water.

OceanSunfish
04-30-2019, 12:30 AM
All great suggestions. Makes me wince just thinking about the times I've banged my knees and shins on rocks while wading. I do not wade like that anymore..... no more rock-hopping.

EricO
04-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Completely agree.....I've had some doozies where the swelling didn't go down for months. Jeff F
had to have his knee drained a couple years ago...twice I think. OUCH.

Must...........move...............slower..........

Ralph
04-30-2019, 01:58 PM
I used to wear knee pads extensively. Never understood why people put them on under their waders though. When they slip it's a hassle adjusting them while wearing waders. Knees are one of the first places to go on my waders and shin guards on the outside add a huge level of protection to the waders. Now I need a butt guard.