PDA

View Full Version : Klamath - Salmonfly hatch

Trouter925
04-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Looking for a little timing advice for CA Klamath salmonfly hatch. Just trying to ball park and I was wondering about 1st week of June?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Call Bob at the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, California.......

http://www.tedfay.com/

Call the Ashland Fly Shop in Ashland, Oregon........

https://www.ashlandflyshop.com/

On the upper Rogue River they have a big Salmon fly hatch too.

Andy
04-25-2019, 11:44 AM
Late May into June is in the ballpark with a hot spell to get the ball rolling. The majority of fish are steelhead smolts and I often feel guilty impaling them on the big bug, to each his own; an occasional adult can make the day. Once the dams come down the fish quality will likely improve. The Rogue Holy water has better trout looking for the big bug at about the same time.

Good Luck,

Andy Marx

Bob Smith
04-26-2019, 05:53 AM
There are a fair amount of resident adults in the stretch between Iron Gate and Interstate 5 but as Andy stated - lots of smolts as well. You might also want to check out the Klamath River above Copco Reservoir which has an excellent population of large, adult fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Early June is the salmon fly hatch on the Deshutes River too.

Trouter925
04-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the input. I think I'll plan on the Rogue.

Rossflyguy
04-26-2019, 12:51 PM
I was looking to possibly hit the salmonfly hatch as well but was looking 3rd week of June. Would that be too late?

pvsprme
04-27-2019, 02:42 PM
I was looking to possibly hit the salmonfly hatch as well but was looking 3rd week of June. Would that be too late?
Yes, typically the hatch starts mid-May, depending on the weather on the D. It’ll be essentially over early June. Best fishing is before the adults emerge with nymphs, as it progresses they get stuffed and selective. Not sure about the timing on the Rogue. Call Ashland Fly Shop for information.
Upper North Umpqua has some great trout fishing, Diamond Lake also for later in June.