PDA

View Full Version : Kiene's Forum will be shut down permanently on April 1, 2019

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2019, 01:08 PM
We are moving to the new Kiene's Facebook Group now which is more modern and more viable.

You are all invited to join our new Kiene's Facebook Group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1979799958981611/

Thanks to all who have participated in the forum for many years.

JasonB
03-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Very sorry to hear that. It’s been fun while it lasted I guess. There is nothing in the world that will ever get me back on Facebook.

dude02
03-12-2019, 01:29 PM
That's too bad. I have enjoyed this site immensely. I do not have nor want a Facebook account.

I appreciate the efforts Kiene's has made to maintain this board through the years.

DLJeff
03-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Ditto for me too. Facebook and Zuckerburg can be buried in an unmarked grave in an old toxic waste site with a security fence around it so nobody can even come visit the grave.

HOpefully this is just an April Fools joke.

mogaru
03-12-2019, 01:43 PM
I will never go to Facebook. Never did, never will. See ya Kiene.com. Personally, I think it's the wrong decision.

Jake B
03-12-2019, 01:48 PM
I agree w all the above. Very sad. Not a facebooker
ADIOS

aaron
03-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Last nail in the coffin.

Smitty Fish
03-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Hopefully this is a joke!

Ben J
03-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Feels like a joke to move something to Facebook in 2019.

Scott V
03-12-2019, 02:28 PM
About time!!

Mark Kranhold
03-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Wow, this is no fun! Thanks for great times and great stories over the years Bill. To everyone else on the board thank you for all your support and help with questions, answers, stories and experiences over the years too. This is what made this forum family regardless of the occasional arguments and disagreements, all in all you’re all a great group of friends! Tight lines all and fish on!! Hope to see you on the water. Early April fools joke🤔

Terry Thomas
03-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Another end to a legacy. It’s been a great ride.

TahoeJoe
03-12-2019, 02:58 PM
:(

I too am sad that it's going. This site is one of my favorite places on the internet to visit. I probably won't follow much on facebook, I don't like it much.

Thanks for all the stories, advice, photos of cool flies and great trip reports everyone! I'll miss the classifieds too.

--Joe

EricO
03-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Not a FB'er either. I hope Kiene's rethinks this...there are so many people who do
not do FB at all.

And the trend is people leaving FB, not joining. No Bueno.

EricO

k.hanley
03-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Bummed to see this. Not much of a fan for FB.
Thanks Bill and crew for such a great platform over the years.
Cheers, Ken

Larry S
03-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Bill;
Sorry to learn about this, but, I understand the economics.
Will the store still have a web site?
Not a Facebook member and won't be one.
Thanks for your time, patience, and efforts over the years.
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

L Kenney
03-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear that. I don't have nor do I want a Facebook account.
Larry Kenney

mems
03-12-2019, 03:50 PM
April 1st, you are a funny guy, Mems

Larry S
03-12-2019, 04:01 PM
mems,
Some years ago, around the Fools Day, he announced the sale of the shop to Scott V.
Do you suppose? Have never met Scott, but we joined forces in a small fund raising
effort for the family of beloved Kiene member Shig. Why do so many of
our truly good ones have a meteoric existence? RIP, Shig!
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

BumpBailey
03-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Sorry to hear about this transition. This has been my go to site for all things fly fishing. I've learned so much from all of you on this board, I have even been inspired by more than a few and entertained by many. I hope I have added a little to the discussions and I wish you all well.

For what it is worth, I am on FB but I am actually moving away from it more and more. Just too many idiots out there. I like it to keep up with friends that don't live locally and I don't get to see regularly. That aspect of the book is great. But, I don't see myself going to Facebook to search out Kiene's.

The biggest bummer for me is that there are so many times when I go back to glean some information from older posts. It's sad to me that this resource will be no more.

Good luck all and tight lines.

Jay K. "Bump" Bailey

yubaman
03-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Wow, what a bummer! I think this site attracts a much different audience than Facebook, and I believe the posts probably support this. I would give this much more thought before making a final decision . . .

Tony Buzolich
03-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Damn Bill,

I hope this is just a joke like Mems hinted at. April Fools on the first. I don't like Facebook either and resent having to give out personal information about myself just so I can stay in touch with my forum buddies. This will be the end of a very enjoyable association with Kienes. Sharing stories and making new friends on the board has been a great source of enjoyment and I hate to see it go.

Tony Buzolich

Mel1c
03-12-2019, 04:34 PM
I will never go to Facebook. Never did, never will. See ya Kiene.com. Personally, I think it's the wrong decision.

+1 Too much evil in and around FB

BS
03-12-2019, 04:43 PM
I don't have a FB account and never will either.

I REALLY hope this is just an upcoming April fools joke.

If not,.............................................. I'm out.:(

Bob

SteveD53
03-12-2019, 04:54 PM
WOW! That sucks!! No FB for me either.....

Carl Blackledge
03-12-2019, 06:09 PM
No problem- A very good fly fish forum is "the north american fly fishing forum" I been on it for a few months....lots of action----------I will never go to Facebook

pvsprme
03-12-2019, 06:29 PM
18 posts before someone note “beginning April 1....”?
You guys are slooow today.
Well done Bill.

robdog
03-12-2019, 09:43 PM
sad to see the messageboard go - I am another person that doesn't do FB - tight lines everyone & I hope to see you on the stream

Mr T
03-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Seeing the date as being April 1, I hope this is a joke?

If not then I guess I’m done- never have had a Facebook presence and not about to start. I do hope this is a joke-

ErikB
03-13-2019, 04:19 AM
I agree with everyone that this would be a very bad decision to go to FB. Met some really great people on this forum and was able to buy and sell some really great gear which has created some fantastic memories. Hopefully this is only a joke and will reconsider this decision.
Otherwise I am out as well.

Tight Lines Erik B.

Scott V
03-13-2019, 07:24 AM
mems,
Some years ago, around the Fools Day, he announced the sale of the shop to Scott V.
Do you suppose? Have never met Scott, but we joined forces in a small fund raising
effort for the family of beloved Kiene member Shig. Why do so many of
our truly good ones have a meteoric existence? RIP, Shig!
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Thanks for all you did Larry! That prank by Bill was great, he didn't even warn me. I was getting messages left and right from people.

Bill Markwood
03-13-2019, 08:16 AM
I too will miss this forum. I check it every day with my morning coffee. Please reconsider your decision. Perhaps even charge a nominal fee to participate. I WON'T be seeing you on Facebook.

Vintage1953
03-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear the news. I’ve learned quite a bit on this local forum from some very knowledgeable fly fishers.

I have never and will never use Facebook.

Possibly a poor business decision for the fly shop. Only time will tell.

Take care and best of luck to Kiene’s.

Lew Riffle
03-13-2019, 09:39 AM
ditto that...facebook is a step in the wrong direction. been good having this forum

Mark Kranhold
03-13-2019, 10:00 AM
18 posts before someone note “beginning April 1....”?
You guys are slooow today.
Well done Bill.

10 posts by the way!

Jeff F
03-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Oh no! Horrible timing too. There might be a riot at Kiene's shop if they can't get Jeff's daily shad reports! :D

And on a serious note, I agree with all the above. I despise Facebook, never had an account and would never go there either, as echoed by the regulars on this board. Hope you reconsider. I look forward to logging into this board every single morning when I get to the office. It would be a shame to not have this board anymore.

~Jeff Fisher

JasonB
03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
This board was a gold mine of information for me when I was a newbie, and I find that I continue to learn from the many fine anglers that make up this community. I don’t see Facebook facilitating the kind of community that you’ve built here, and for a whole slew of other issues Facebook will alienate a certain percentage of people. I can’t tell you how much I have appreciated this forum Bill, and I’ve been fortunate to have met some very good people through it. I imagine this wasn’t an easy decision, and I thank you for providing this platform for all of us over the years. I’d bet this made a pretty significant contribution to the local fly fishing community, and I think there will be quite a void that it will leave.

Jeff F
03-13-2019, 11:07 AM
This board was a gold mine of information for me when I was a newbie, and I find that I continue to learn from the many fine anglers that make up this community. I don’t see Facebook facilitating the kind of community that you’ve built here, and for a whole slew of other issues Facebook will alienate a certain percentage of people. I can’t tell you how much I have appreciated this forum Bill, and I’ve been fortunate to have met some very good people through it. I imagine this wasn’t an easy decision, and I thank you for providing this platform for all of us over the years. I’d bet this made a pretty significant contribution to the local fly fishing community, and I think there will be quite a void that it will leave.

Exactly.......I just learned about "slapping a reel" yesterday on a post on this board! I had no idea what the hell that was and it led me to google it. Now I know. Although I don't know if my Galvan's are "slappable".

~Jeff

Carl Blackledge
03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Let hope that the powers that are shutting down this board are "slappable" LOL just kidding Bill

Grassgrower
03-13-2019, 11:35 AM
That is a shame. Seems to me it would hurt business online and at the shop.

Sean

Lincoln Gray
03-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Great Forum, Great People, So very sad!!

Jeff Stephens
03-13-2019, 12:08 PM
If true this is another Bonehead move by management . It seems they want things to fail.

Ted S
03-13-2019, 12:25 PM
I too hope this is just an April Fool's joke. I will not be using Facebook.
Thanks for hosting a great forum.
Ted

JD
03-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Will not be moving to FB if this is not a joke. Very poor decision.

Ard
03-13-2019, 01:22 PM
I'm not one to simply pile on because it seems popular Bill but... I don't do face book and find the decision disappointing. I have been absent from the forum here for some time but had been visiting recently to see who was doing what. I've been silent because Alaska is far removed from most posters but still have enjoyed this group.

Ard / Hardyreels :)

BumpBailey
03-13-2019, 01:27 PM
No problem- A very good fly fish forum is "the north american fly fishing forum" I been on it for a few months....lots of action----------I will never go to Facebook

Spey Pages is also great for everything two-handed and steelhead/salmon related. Plus they have an awesome forum on tying! I will check out the North American Forum

Dave E.
03-13-2019, 01:59 PM
I added the FB Page to my feed just in case, but I've been yanked by Bill's late-winter wit before.

47 posts to one thread in a day....it's one way to get people to tune in and sign on, but I'd rather talk about which product lines, guides, presenters are going to be at Kiene's Fair in four weeks.
Any news there?
It's a five hour run to Bradshaw for us.

BTW: The Fred Hall Show ( be it, what it may ) in Bakersfield is this Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

Dave

PV_Premier
03-13-2019, 03:09 PM
If this is an April Fools Joke two weeks early, I am annoyed, because really (and respectfully, Bill)...who does that?

If the forum is actually shutting down, I am even more annoyed. I direct most of my local FF business to Kienes and a large part of the reason is to "pay back" the wealth of information I gain from this forum.

Either way I am annoyed. And either way, I will not be going to FB for my fly fishing discussions. It is a cesspool of political, social, and adolescent garbage.

mogaru
03-13-2019, 04:24 PM
Since Bill has not replied to confirm that everything is true.......I suspect it might be April's fools day.........on the other hand it could be true. No matter what I will not be going to Facebook garbage......never did I never will.

Dick
03-13-2019, 04:48 PM
Not a regular poster but regular reader. No facebook for me either. Hope that we don't say goodbye after April 1st.
Dick

booneshaya
03-13-2019, 04:55 PM
If this is a joke, kind of a sick joke by now. Regardless, I think I’ll be taking my business elsewhere. I went to Kiene’s to support their business cause I really enjoyed the forum over the years even though the other shop in town is much more convenient for me. Telling as good joke is knowing when to stop when people get upset. So long!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-13-2019, 05:37 PM
Sorry, it is not a joke.

I am not happy about it because being retired I am on it 2 or 3 times a day.

It will further separate me from many old friends.

Larry S
03-13-2019, 05:47 PM
In a previous post, I mentioned a Kiene former
member named Shig, He was a true classic fishing
fanatic; buit his own gear and shared his work with us.
I hope the forum posts are preserved, cause his are classic.
As are others like Ed Wahls and such.
Try this on for size =
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?28326-Got-high-by-myself-this-weekend&highlight=Shig

Best to you all.
Larry S
Sun Diego

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-13-2019, 06:24 PM
I am working on taking it over myself.......Bill Kiene's Forum.

DLJeff
03-13-2019, 06:29 PM
I was hoping this was all a joke but I it appears it isn't. Bill - I visit another board that a guy set up from his home. He used a site called ProBoards. They had the option of a free board but you have to suffer through ads. Or they have a a paid option that prohibits the ads. Let me know if that is something you're interested in and I'll see if I can find out more.
Doug

BS
03-13-2019, 07:30 PM

Atta' boy Bill.

If Dan Blanton can do it, I'm SURE you can too !!!!

PV_Premier
03-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Sorry, it is not a joke.

I am not happy about it because being retired I am on it 2 or 3 times a day.

It will further separate me from many old friends.

I’m not sure who’s making this decision, or why, but before they pull the plug I recommend sharing the content of this thread with them.

I’ll be stopping by the shop to share my feedback and pass along how it will likely curtail my spending there as well.

Odonata
03-13-2019, 07:43 PM
I rarely post either, but have enjoyed reading the many interesting trip reports and stories of old times. Sorry to hear this.

I quit Facebook last year, along with a few other folks I know. I do follow a few select Instagram feeds these days though.

troutless
03-13-2019, 08:42 PM
This board has been a trove of information and dialog. There are generalist fishing boards, but, one like this, focused on regional information, is a bit unique. It is part of what made, in my opinion, Kiene's one of the premier fly shops in the Western US. It would be a great tragedy to see it go. It's simply not possible to have dialogs of the quality common here on a forum like Facebook.

cyama
03-13-2019, 08:44 PM

If you could take it over that would be great!! This is an important part of fly fishing in Nor Cal. It provides a lot of information on what is going on out there. If there are fees for the forum I am sure you could get double the fees if you started a go fund me page. I for one would donate money.
Thanks

hwchubb
03-13-2019, 08:52 PM
Bill, add me to the list of those who would happily chip in if you continue this forum on your own. It has been a great resource over the years, and local knowledge of far flung places around the country (and globe) is especially valuable.

I’m not a FB’er either. Have an account, try to check it once a year whether I need to or not, but the last couple of years have escaped my attention.

Wayne

BobVP
03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Like so many other replies I was hoping this was a long-term April Fool's joke and am very sorry it is not.

This forum is the only one I regularly visit and it is very unlikely I will use it on FB, even though I am a FB user.

I would love to read something from the person(s) making this decision. Anything! No, you do not owe us, forum users, anything but it seems common decency would be to give us all some idea why you are making this change.

I cannot begin to count the number of things I have learned here. Very sad to this go.

Bill.....If you can wrangle a way to keep it going I will do whatever I can to support your endeavor.

Big Jim
03-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Bill.
Like many others here, I have been participating in this forum since its inception and have really really enjoyed and appreciated it. However, all is lost if you move it to facebook. I personally hate facebook, and more and more people are beginning to feel the same way. I will be really sad to see it go. I haven't read all 7 pages of responses, and probably someone else has already suggested making it subscription based, to defray costs. I would certainly pay a subscription fee. I already do so on some other fishing sites (Coastsiders, for example).

Jim

Rockman
03-14-2019, 07:38 AM
I am very sad to hear this and disappointed that someone won’t keep this going. I use FB less and less. This is due to the fine print in the use agreement. The amount of data mining, the loss of ownership of your photos so others can use them, the hacking potential. This forum site has become my regular morning read with my coffee in the am. I am hopeful that maybe a nominal subscription fee may make administrating the site a worthy endeavor. I will miss it for all the info that is shared, the friendships that were made on the water, the opportunities to buy and sell on the classifieds, the fish reports and photos of people who are out enjoying the resources that are available to us. If the reason for dropping this is that Bill is spending more time then he ever dreamed of being the admin guy, and less time being a retired fishing guy, I for one can not fault him for that, as all of us only have so much time to be here to do what we love, and that is flyfishing with friends and sharing embellished stories of the adventures we have taken. Some of us are now pushing the envelope to have enough time to scratch some of these off of our bucket list.
So if this is the reason, I say congrats to Bill for all his contributions to this sport we all love, the sharing of his knowledge which is how we all learn, the store he built, and the time he has spent admining this site.
No matter what the reason for closing the site, well done Bill Kiene and FISH ON!!

Ralph
03-14-2019, 08:18 AM
The board has apparently been identified as an unacceptable expense by the bean counters. So be it. It is a great public service, but beyond simple good will, it is hard to see where the financial pay off is. The people who truly get a free ride here, at the expense of the hosts, are the guides who are often in direct competition with Kiene's stable of guides for business. Guide ads posted under the guise as fishing reports are enjoyable, but are counter productive if you own a fly shop with your own staff. I have never figured why this board allows competitors to post out right ads for tours, classes and clinics when Kiene's offers the same. Why not do what Blanton does and charge a strong annual fee for guides and services to advertise/post? It might be enough to keep the board above water or at least break even. Staff written fishing reports could easily fill the void by guide reports without sacrificing business.

EricO
03-14-2019, 08:40 AM
If you could take it over that would be great!! This is an important part of fly fishing in Nor Cal. It provides a lot of information on what is going on out there. If there are fees for the forum I am sure you could get double the fees if you started a go fund me page. I for one would donate money.
Thanks

I would donate in a heartbeat too. Good idea on the GoFundMe if money is the issue.

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Gregg and I will be working on getting it in our control and it will be "Bill Kiene's Form".

Gary at the shop thought it was a good idea and is good with it.

Thanks to all.....will keep you posted.

Carl Blackledge
03-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Ralph, Very well said.

Carl Blackledge

PV_Premier
03-14-2019, 09:53 AM
but beyond simple good will, it is hard to see where the financial pay off is.

Several, myself included, have already noted there is a direct correlation between the presence of this board and what we spend in the Kienes online/brick and mortar shop. My spending will definitely go down at Kienes if the board goes away, reason being that it is not at front of mind as often when I am not regularly visiting the online forum.

The people who truly get a free ride here, at the expense of the hosts, are the guides who are often in direct competition with Kiene's stable of guides for business. Guide ads posted under the guise as fishing reports are enjoyable, but are counter productive if you own a fly shop with your own staff. I have never figured why this board allows competitors to post out right ads for tours, classes and clinics when Kiene's offers the same. Why not do what Blanton does and charge a strong annual fee for guides and services to advertise/post? It might be enough to keep the board above water or at least break even.

Another forum I frequent handles things this way. If you are a vendor and want to post advertisements or promotions of your services, you have to pony up for a commercial account. I think it's $59 or something per year, not a huge expense for the readership honestly. For the every day Joe who just wants to browse and talk fishing, it's free. If you start moving from being an everyday Joe to posting promotional threads about your hobby fly tying business or your 3rd party hosted fishing reports, you get contacted for lack of compliance and you either transition your account to a commercial account or you get banned if you keep posting promo threads under your personal account.

Another option to fund the board could be to charge a modest fee for posting classified ads. I would gladly pay $1-2 to post an ad.

There are a million ways to fund this that most people here would be happy to entertain various combinations of. There might even be some IT savvy people who post here and would be willing to donate time to help host the board. To just cut the cord without even thinking about it unfortunately appears to be turning a deaf ear toward customers even if that is not the intention.

I'm glad to hear that it seems there may be a solution currently on life support. Bill, let us know how we can support you in this effort.

Jake B
03-14-2019, 10:47 AM
I’d gladly pay!!!

Langenbeck
03-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Bill: How about the guy who made this decision come on the Board and explain his rationale. Right now he is pissing off lots of loyal customers.

BumpBailey
03-14-2019, 02:48 PM
This makes me think. What came first, the shop or the site? Of course I know that answer, now. But, for me, the site came first. I never would've learned of the shop, bought fly tying material nor would I have taken a spey casting lesson from Andy.

I hope this is a knee jerk decision and the person in charge realizes he might be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Rossflyguy
03-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Starting April 1 guys. Relax, the forum is part of their online store. They’d have to totally revamp the website. Happy April fools day.

Gregg Machel
03-14-2019, 04:52 PM
I'm afraid this isn't an April Fools Day joke. Just a coincidence. I talked to Bill today and we are working on something to keep the board alive. More to come soon. And hello to everyone who I used to know here, I've been gone a long time.

Cutthroat
03-14-2019, 05:21 PM
I haven't read all of the 8 forum pages about this decision, but I'll be really sorry to see the forum go. I have been a member for two or three years. I have learned a lot and I have contributed. I have never joined Facebook, nor do I intend to. Thanks for the great service you have provided.

Ed Wahl
03-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Hello to you too Gregg. It has been a long time buddy.
Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Stop worrying....................Gregg and I are on it..........Gary at the Kiene's is giving it to me.........yahoo.

"Bill Kiene's Form" is coming soon.

Only the name will change.

Bob G
03-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Hi Gregg and Bill -

Wonderful news! Best, Bob

Jake B
03-14-2019, 07:13 PM
RIGHT ON!! Great news!Thanks Bill. I’ve been a Kienes supporter from way back. So long I still have some hand written receipts from the old shop from way back when Jeff Putnam was only 17

JasonB
03-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Stop worrying....................Gregg and I are on it..........Gary at the Kiene's is giving it to me.........yahoo.

"Bill Kiene's Form" is coming soon.

Only the name will change.

Best news I’ve heard in days Bill! I hope you realize the depth and scope of your contributions to our local fly fishing community. I think you may have had a more substantial impact than you realize. This board has been a real benefit to our community; I know I’ve sure benefited a lot! Looking forward to the new version ��
JB

Quinnphoto
03-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Great news Gregg and Bill!!! We all here, whether we contribute often or just lurk, appreciate you and the forums. Some of us like to share information or educate others learn and apply. Where ever we are in the spectrum of Kiene's forum followers we all are avid fans of fly fishing. I for one love to vicariously live through the travels and destinations of the posters. It gets me outdoors when I am stuck at my desk, it gives me a healthy fun outlet. It helps to cheer me up. Thanks for all the great stories in the past and looking forward to future posts. Thanks guys!!!!

njbeast
03-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Glad the board will survive in one form or another. I would like to thank all of you for your posts, knowledge, humor and for sharing the excitement of fishing. I have not been able to wet a line in some time and have fished vicariously through you all. God spped and tight lines to all.

avidangler
03-14-2019, 08:59 PM
I'm glad this board will live on. I have learned a lot from it. I wouldn't have know about the shop if it weren't for this board.

Ralph
03-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Hats off Bill! Class act.

Ron B
03-15-2019, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Bill! I certainly appreciate your willingness to keep the forum alive.

k.hanley
03-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Now that's solid! Well done Bill. You have always understood the value of community and friendship.
Gregg your techno contributions are certainly essential to the success of this community. Thank you.
Cheers!!!

Mark Kranhold
03-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Great news Bill! Thank so much for keeping it alive, you have a lot of friends that you have kept happy... the legend lives on!

betty
03-15-2019, 11:48 AM
This is just a shame. I’ll miss this forum.
No Facebook for me. Thanks to all who gave me help and advice on this board
See you out on the lake somewhere. Happy fishing
Betty

Darian
03-15-2019, 01:16 PM
OK,.... my question may've been answered in a prior post but, just in case, will the archived threads/posts be retained or lost???

Larry S
03-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Earlier, I posted a link to the late"Shig's" comment.
Another one I used to enjoy immensely was Bill K's
friend, Galen. He posted as OregonSalmon.
Some publisher should have signed him up.
His writing was epic and hilarious; think
of a raunchy Sheridan Anderson; and yes, hide
the kids many times.
Here's a link to one of his offerings; once logged
in to the forum, do a search for "OregonSalmon."
for more wit and wisdom.
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?14376-Soon-the-Kings!!!&highlight=OregonSalmon

Best to all, and thanks to Bill and Gregg,
Larry S
Sun Diego

JasonB
03-15-2019, 04:57 PM
the kids many times.
for more wit and wisdom.
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?14376-Soon-the-Kings!!!&highlight=OregonSalmon

Larry S
Sun Diego

Larry,
Thanks for reminding me, I hadn’t thought about his crazy posts in a while. Truly a one of a kind (not sure the world could handle more than one), he managed to be remarkably offensive while still managing to not offend. Mostly. I admired that, and he always made me laugh. Always!
Cheers,
JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Gregg Machel is helping us so he will really be our hero here.....

Galen Geller / Oregon Salmon grew up around my shop with some of his high school buddies, Paul Keel and Phil Romig.

I am so happy that we will not loose his witty posts.

Jeff C.
03-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Thanks Bill and Gregg! I appreciate what you have done from the bottom of my heart!

dynaflow
03-15-2019, 08:05 PM
I read every page with a heavy heart until finally and gratefully lifted out of my despair when Bill confirmed his Lazarus-like reincarnation.Many like me from the other side of the world hold this Forum in high regard,not only for the quality of its content but its knowledgeable and helpful members.Long may you run Bill.
P.S.Like many others I'm not on FB...or any other social media for that matter.

Ed Wahl
03-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Bill Kienes Forum. That I can sink my teeth into. Good for you Bill, you're a legend in this part of the country. We go back a ways, and when you make the split I'll retell my story of how I've grown to trust you and your people in the shop. I'm sure a lot of your "old timers" can relate.
Ed

goby
03-16-2019, 09:46 AM
This is stupid. New management has wasted this forum, and now they're going to kill it?

The only reason I went to Kiene's was because of this forum. I didn't spend much (maybe $100), but it was found money to them since I'm a few minutes from The Fly Shop in Redding.

ifsteve
03-16-2019, 03:19 PM
The problem is FB is a lousy platform for the types of things (Q&A) we do on a forum. LOUSY!! So good on you guys with keeping it going under a different name. But please keep the format like this. I get some good info from Blanton's forum but sorry his format sucks. No offense to Dan as its his to do with as he pleases but man it is so awful to follow a thread.

BumpBailey
03-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Thank you for sharing that Larry. I almost did a spit take reading the it was a Roseanne year, real ugly comment! The credibility check was funny too!

Keep Rocking, Bill. When I grow up i wanna be you!

Jay- The guy who still hasn't fished The Eel the year, AAAAARGH

the kids many times.
for more wit and wisdom.

Larry S
Sun Diego

Larry S
03-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Jay (Bump),
Click on the link I posted for more of his offerings.
If I were in the book publishing business, I would have
signed him up. I believe that he was quite an
accomplished fly tyer, as well. We struck up an online
friendship. Never got to meet up.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Ed Wahl
03-17-2019, 08:59 PM
Hey Larry, I had an open invitation to drop in on him anytime I wanted, I'm betting you had the same offer. And like you, I never made it up there. Man, the missed opportunities there are mind blowing. Dude was a comic genious. I'm a poorer man for not having fished with him.

Larry S
03-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Ed,
So glad to see that you are back on a fairly regular basis. Another poster that I miss is David
Lee; he used to report on his Cabo adventures with his wife. Most of his fishing
was done from shore. Had some great pix. He became disillusioned with what he
believed was happening to the board.
Galen had a "gift" of expression that made you want to stay aboard his ship.
RIP!
Best to all,
Larry S

Darian
03-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Larry,.... I've been told by someone who knew David and Candida that they moved to Baja somewhere.

Terry Thomas
03-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Nope, still in the area. They did just return from Baja.

Larry S
03-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Terry,
If you see David, give him my best. He gave great reports on his
Baja treks; complete with many pix.
Thanks.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego