PDA

View Full Version : TFO Lefty Kreh Signature I IM6 Fly Rod 9' 7 wt. 2 pc.

JAWallace
02-19-2019, 08:20 PM
This is an inexpensive rod, but I'll write a little about it, because I had the 6 wt. version, sold it on here, and it's one of the few rods I regret selling. This one is a 7 wt, feels about the same but with a little more backbone and a fighting butt.

I'm a big fan of IM6 because I'm not fond of super fast rods, and the IM6 blanks cast very similar to fiberglass which is what I use 90% of the time, except they are lighter.

For whatever reason, the Signature II rods that replaced the Signature I don't have the same smooth feel. They aren't as bad as the Professional Series, but close, IMO.

I fought and landed an 8 lb. trout with my 6 wt. Signature I, and I think I was pretty much at 100% of the rod's capability, approaching tip to cork, but what fun!

TFO calls this a "starter rod," and the action certainly qualifies for that, but to us fiberglass fanatics this rod casts like a rod should--smooth but not noodle like, and with enough reserve to land an American River steelie.

This is another rod I picked up from a friend moving to where trout are not, and it's in fine shape. This a two-piece rod, and comes with a sock only, typical of TFO.

$85 cash pickup price. Shipping isn't economical for this rod, but I'll do it at cost if necessary. The new version is $135. This one is returnable--if you don't like it after a few days, just bring it back. Thanks.

JW

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-20-2019, 05:20 AM
Lefty Kreh's favorite size fly rod was a 9' #6 line 2 piece graphite fly rod.

TFO made up a special run of them with a light maple wood insert in the reel seat and Lefty signed them all (on the reel seat).

They sent them as a gift to some of their dealers and I got one.

Funny, that is my favorite size fly rod too.

I have it here in Florida and use it all the time for bass.

For the Greatest Generation a split cane fly rod that was 9' for a 6 or 7 line in 3 piece was the standard fly rod before World War 2.

After World War 2 Baby Boomers used a hollow tubular fiberglass 8' #6 line fly rod for trout.

After graphite came of age the 9' #5 line in 4 piece was and is the big deal for trout.

OceanSunfish
02-21-2019, 12:26 AM
The pretty green colored TFO blank is a heck of a fly rod, especially in specific lengths and weights. The #6 you had was a very good one..... ouch, as was the #4 at 8'. That is a heck of fly rod too. All are two piece.

What I liked about that series was that I felt they were made only to what the materials would allow only a great casting rod to be made..... if that makes sense. In other words, only one #4 and that was an 8 footer. No ubiquitous #4 at 9'. The #6 was the sweet spot at 9 feet. Not a full line up of 9 footers just to have them..... Only in configs that were good.

I've casted the #7 with T-11 and I would have no qualms using it for Shad or Stripers. Plenty of backbone with a nice IM6 action. Strong blank.

JAWallace
02-22-2019, 04:04 PM
It's nice to see others appreciate the casting and fishing of the IM6. OceanSunfish, your comment about the sizing is something that never occurred to me--maybe that's why they seem to be so sweet. I'm torn between pulling this one down or selling it after your comment on the 7 wt. I guess I should cast it. Still for sale though for now.