PDA

View Full Version : Yuba blown? Skwalas?

Pupa
02-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Assuming the Y continues to be blow and the high waters have scrubbed the skwalas into oblivion. Would love to hear otherwise...

Tony Buzolich
02-18-2019, 06:34 PM
If you haven't already looked take a peek at last Thursday's jump. It went from a little over 2 K cfs to almost 18 K. It has now since dropped back again to the low 2K's.

That would have scrubbed the willow bushes pretty good of any skwala's.
Tony

Troutstalker55B
02-18-2019, 07:28 PM
If you haven't already looked take a peek at last Thursday's jump. It went from a little over 2 K cfs to almost 18 K. It has now since dropped back again to the low 2K's.

That would have scrubbed the willow bushes pretty good of any skwala's.
Tony
Current flows are at 3,791 and stained. Those skwalas are a very hardy bug, as are other species. They've been on this earth over a millennia and continue to perpetuate their species from hell to high water. There are still a few out there hiding out and still mating and ovipositing. After 2017 I thought for sure the Yuba was done for years after 6 events of high water from 25k to 88k. That following December the hatches were so prolific I never put a nymphing rig on my clients rod until the river blew out big time on March 13th. Every year, month, and day is different. You won't know unless you go. My advice Pupa - Go find out for yourself and find some adventure. - J.

Pupa
02-22-2019, 06:54 PM
Hell yeah Jon - adventure cannot be denied!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-23-2019, 04:45 AM
Thanks Jon........mother nature is powerful and exciting.

Gary R
02-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Thanks Jon........mother nature is powerful and exciting.

Hit the Yuba above the bridge. More scouting than fishing. Clarity was still poor. Saw a few sqwalas and mayflies but no fish rising. Water is still high but fishable.