PDA

View Full Version : Scott G (Original Series) 904-2 Fly Rod

JAWallace
02-18-2019, 12:51 PM
This 9' rod for a 4 wt. line needs no introduction--it's possibly the most iconic trout rod in history. It was first built in San Francisco in the early 70s; the serial number 58-15892 indicates a mid 90s build in Telluride, consistent with the stitching on the included case/tube.

Although known as the quintessential dry fly rod, the Scott G 904 has enough reserve in its buttery medium action for larger flies and trout. At only 2.4 oz. it's light in hand, casts a #4 DT, WF, or my preference, a Wulff triangle taper line beautifully.

Condition is excellent. Stripping guide, snake guides, ferrules are all in fine shape. Although not noticeable, the hook keeper was slightly separated from the wraps, but I reinserted without repairs needed, and it is again tight and fully functional (see pic).

SOLD cash, pickup in Fair Oaks

This rod can be shipped insured CONUS in the original case pictured at cost.

Mr T
02-18-2019, 03:50 PM
free plug for one of my favorite rods ever- had two of them and loved loved loved them.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-18-2019, 10:29 PM
The Scott graphite G904-2 is an iconic fly rod.

It was the big dog back in the day on Fall River and Hat Creek.

Cortland had to design and produce the 444 Peach WF4F fly line just for this rod.

Before that the Cortland 444 Peach WF5F was the smallest size in that model.

Many put on a Hardy Light Weight reel or an Orvis CFO III reel with a counter balance.

If you could not afford that high end setup we sold you a Fisher 9' #3/4 - 2 pc fly rod and a Pflueger Medalist reel.

JAWallace
02-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Bill, thanks, you're always so good with the history and stories.

The Scott G 904-2 was the first good fly rod I ever owned, and I bought it from Gary Eblen when he had the Orvis store. He asked me to cast it "to see what I thought", heh heh Gary, and I fell in love with it and still am. I still use my old Battenkill reel with this one just because it's what I've always had on it since day one when you sold me my first one. It's one rod I'll never, ever sell. At that time, the 2 piece cast and felt better than their 4 piece rods; I doubt that's the case with the new G series but I haven't tried one.

The rod I'm selling is identical to mine, but is part of a purchase from a friend who is moving where trout don't live, so I bought his trout gear--float tubes, rods, reels, flies, accessories. Slowly I'm taking pics and listing what I won't be keeping.

Thanks again for the memories, Bill.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2019, 04:54 AM
Yes John.....we lived a lot of fly fishing history together.

The G882-4 pc was the big deal for many 20 years ago........8'8" #2 in 4 pieces.

My friend Don Rotsma used his for everything small.

https://www.scottflyrod.com/rod-series/view/g-series

Mike Bosworth
02-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Good evening. Is this rod still available?

JAWallace
02-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Yes, but I just listed it on eBay and once the minimum bid hits it won't be available here.

JAWallace
03-03-2019, 07:32 PM
SOLD, thanks for all the nice comments and history.