PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning

PV_Premier
02-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Two other popular online fly fishing classified ad boards are being plagued by a dishonest gear broker of late.

The guys real name is Mike M**** and he lives in New Jersey (PM me if you’re worried you’re dealing with him and I’ll give you his name, or go search those “other forums” we all know of. I don’t want to be accused of slander by posting it). I’m expecting him to eventually show up here but fortunately this board flies a little further under the radar so hopefully not. He often uses “names” and shipping addresses of his “son” and “daughters” in transactions to protect his “identity”.

He has a habit of exaggerating the condition of the gear he is selling and/or not honoring deals. He also buys stuff from other board membersf then tries to resell for a higher price very shortly after.

I hate calling him out on here before he shows up but given the harm he has caused in other places I can’t help but try to protect others here.

I don’t want to say “exclusively deal local” because there are many honest people here from all over the country and the world. But be careful and use the systems in place to protect yourself especially when dealing with things that sound too good to be true or new members. (Sorry newbies it is not personal...)

JasonB
02-08-2019, 06:37 PM
I normally hate calling people out in online forums, or other public forums for that matter. Two sides to the story, hate to further rumors, witch hunts, etc. This particular warning seems legit, and warranted. In reading through some of the documents that he himself posted to legitimize a bizarre (to put it mildly) rod sale, it’s clearly contradictory and not entirely honest and accurate. Let’s see: in a post about a rod that was suposed to be for his daughter, he includes an email where he’s asking for a friend who can’t log in because her father had issues with the admin... gives the fathers name and his name (which do not match). Hmmmm?
Really too bad there are a few bad apples, most of the fly fishing gear I have bought here and on speypages has been very well represented and priced! Buyer beware I guess
JB

Charlie S
02-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Several years ago I had a bad experience with a seller on eBay. I sent the money for the items and didn’t receive them. I researched who he was, found out he was a college student so if filed a lien on him. Panic ensued because he was able to get his student loan of the next year until. I was contacted by his father’s attorney at which time I turned it over to a good attorney friend. It was finally resolved when I received a check for the amount I was defrauded and for my expenses. It wasn’t a large amount but it was the principal and I hope he gained some insight to what honesty meant.

McFish
02-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Not to make this a lengthy "I got scammed too" thread; BUT ... I listed a boat here and on local Craigslist. One Craigslist respondor sweetened the offer; I said OK. Then the excuses began. After 3 days I said forget it and sold to another offer. First offer then said I had received money ( I did not) and if I didn't refund, he would call in "local police, FBI and CIA". Obviously a scam, but still I called the sheriff. Sheriff said they could do nothing; I had to press them to make them (the sheriff) take the details. Sheriff only responded when I said if someone else got scammed in a similar fashion, I would corroborate publicly that Sheriff had prior information. Key point here; if any buyer/seller starts to delay sale, or asks for unusual arrangements, take extra care. I like this forum as it is unlikely to attract scammers like a larger (Craigslist, Ebay) might.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2019, 12:31 PM
My wife and I did not receive any bad checks from fly fishers in the 30 years we had our Kiene's Fly Shop.

I hear similar things about the honesty of golfers too.

That said, we can not imagine that they are people who actually make a living cheating others.

goby
02-12-2019, 04:50 PM
I will never buy things by mail from someone who is not from the Sacramento or Northern California area. And won't buy something that is ridiculously low priced. And I won't buy from someone who hasn't been a member of Kiene for long, or has only a few posts.

I've bought a few things off this board and they have always been amazing deals from wonderful fly fishers.

dynaflow
02-13-2019, 12:17 AM
While their exchange rates suck,Paypal offers buyer protection and the once or twice I've had to claim over many years
they came good.I've never had a bad experience in dealing with members of this Forum,and even though they were shipping halfway around the world (Australia) I've only ever had courteous and efficient communications and transactions...but then Americans are decent law-abiding people more often than not.