PDA

View Full Version : Spotfin Croaker Fly

thunder28
01-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Has anyone out there found a fly that spotfin will hit? Years ago we did well on a brown and orange clouser. But this generation of spotfin don't seem to care for much of anything that we throw at them. Today there were several of them working the shallows in the surf. Some were in pods of seven or eight sticking their tails out of the water as they dug for worms or whatever they were eating. I've hooked a few before when I was able to cast right in the middle of the pod as they were feeding. Today I got three or four casts right in the middle of them to no avail. I know that they are focused on whatever they're eating but you'd think that if you had the right fly they'd take that as well. Anyone have the answer to this riddle?

Darian
01-03-2019, 03:04 PM
thunder28,.... If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest asking your question on a SoCal bulletin board that has a lot of posters/information about fly fishing in the surf down there. Here's a couple of links:

www.fliflicker.com

www.flyfishthesurf.com

There are other down there but these are the two that I'm familiar with.

BACK WHEN I lived down there, I fished for Spotfin around Belmont Shores with bait, so, I'm not much help with flies for them. Always enjoyed catching them, tho. :cool: