PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba river

TigerLilly
12-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Fished upstream of the bridge. Beautiful, perfect weekend but the trout apparently are taking a long holiday. A few smallish fish on #18-20 pt variants and red wire nymphs, but pretty far and few between. Unfortunately, the record low salmon run means record low nutrients and probably doesn't bode well for the 2019 fishery. Fingers crossed for better salmon returns next summer/fall. Warden hanging out, which is good. Remember your new license on Tuesday.

PV_Premier
12-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Strange, if you believe the hype on social media, the fishing has supposedly been off the chain. Not sure what to believe but I might find out on Tuesday unless we go to the Truckee.

Woodman
12-30-2018, 07:03 PM
I had probably my best day ever on the Yuba about ten days ago. I'm going to hit it as often as I can while the flows cooperate.

TigerLilly
12-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Where you downstream? The Y fish seem to be groupies. Upstream of bridge was bleh.

cdevine
12-31-2018, 01:06 PM
I haven't fished it recently but from folks I've talked to the fishery is on the rise from the tough drough/high water years we've had. I think you can say that for almost all of our fisheries. I know the Truckee, East Walker, Upper Sac, and a few others I like to fish have been as good for me as ever. Need another good water year and its going to be great in many places.
As for the Yuba probably just a tough day. That is why they call it fishing right? hahah. I would give it another go. I bet you have more success.

Don't forget to get your new licenses! They are a gorgeous orange this year.

GLC
12-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Not to highjack this thread, but I just double checked my new 2019 license, and it's a light blue color not orange. Does CDF&W issue different color licenses for the same year?

Dick
12-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Not to highjack this thread, but I just double checked my new 2019 license, and it's a light blue color not orange. Does CDF&W issue different color licenses for the same year?

Hey GLC,
Mine is a greenish color. The same color as last year's. I don't have any idea what the deal is with that?????? That means that if a warden checks your license he/she will have to look for the valid dates.
Dick

DAVID95670
12-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Fished upstream of the bridge. Beautiful, perfect weekend but the trout apparently are taking a long holiday. A few smallish fish on #18-20 pt variants and red wire nymphs, but pretty far and few between. Unfortunately, the record low salmon run means record low nutrients and probably doesn't bode well for the 2019 fishery. Fingers crossed for better salmon returns next summer/fall. Warden hanging out, which is good. Remember your new license on Tuesday.

Went three for three Christmas Day

Fishing was nice. Swung up fish, bobbered up fish, man that river has changed from four years ago

DAVID95670
12-31-2018, 07:32 PM
Could not post photo. Can be found on my instagram page speyfishingcowboy

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-31-2018, 07:39 PM
Here is our fish report:

https://www.reports.americanflyfishing.com/lower-yuba-river

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-31-2018, 07:54 PM
Just got a text from a good friend and veteran angler who says he is doing well on the Yuba on top.

To me this would be Baetis / Blue Wing Olive paradun or cripple #18 on 5x down steaming on the top especially on overcast / foggy days.

He predicted that it might be very good soon if no rain with Skawala and Brown Drakes and Baetis.

Troutstalker55B
01-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Fresh report from the last week here; https://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2018/12/lower-yuba-river-fly-fishing-report_31.html

Lots of great info as well, enjoy and take care - J.

Ralph
01-01-2019, 09:36 AM
My regular license is green and guide's license is orange. #667.

Troutstalker55B
01-01-2019, 09:49 AM
My regular license is green and guide's license is orange. #667.

3 digits = Long time legendary guide. Can you believe new guide licenses are 7 digits?

- J. #2847

Ralph
01-01-2019, 10:08 AM
3 digits = Long time legendary guide. Can you believe new guide licenses are 7 digits?

- J. #2847

WOW!!! I had no idea. My original license was #81. I dropped it for a few years and they gave me 667 when I re upped. Probably will retire the tag this year. I think Lisa's was 900 something. Glad life is on the upswing for you Jon. Happy new year and beyond.

Troutstalker55B
01-01-2019, 10:19 AM
WOW!!! I had no idea. My original license was #81. I dropped it for a few years and they gave me 667 when I re upped. Probably will retire the tag this year. I think Lisa's was 900 something. Glad life is on the upswing for you Jon. Happy new year and beyond.

I really appreciate all the support from you and Lisa, thank you. Happy new Year!!!

hwchubb
01-01-2019, 07:38 PM
My 2019 license, picked up at DFG Nimbus office, is orange, as is steelhead card. Not a guide, just a regular schmoe. Maybe it’s whatever tape they have in the machine?

roywest
01-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Orange 2019 license and steelhead card here, too.

Ralph
01-01-2019, 10:58 PM
My 2019 license, picked up at DFG Nimbus office, is orange, as is steelhead card. Not a guide, just a regular schmoe. Maybe it’s whatever tape they have in the machine?

Quite likely. Green fishing license is from local hardware store while orange guide's license was mailed from CDFW in Sacramento.

Woodman
01-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately I have no license yet. My kids wanted to buy me my license for Christmas, but went for the gift voucher option from CDFW. That doesn't provide an online renewal so I have to wait for them to send me a piece of paper in the mail.

Sheesh...