PDA

View Full Version : Rod Holder for folding kayak

EricO
12-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a fly rod holder for a folding kayak?

I have a Sea Eagle 300x. Looked on their site and they only have one for a baitcaster
but not for a fly rod.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

JayDubP
12-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a fly rod holder for a folding kayak?

I have a Sea Eagle 300x. Looked on their site and they only have one for a baitcaster
but not for a fly rod.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

SCOTTY makes a "Fly Rod Holder" that fits into their normal mount. I have used it on several inflatables over the years. I have also used the Scotty mount for an anchor rope.

If you are not familiar with how Scotty mounts work on an inflatable, go to scotty.com. There are 3 pieces: 1) for your 300X you need a glue-on "frameless base"; 2) a Deck Mount that screws onto the frameless base; and 3) a removable fly rod holder------ or various other "holders"- for cameras, anchors, etc. that push into the Mount.

Kiene's probably sells Scotty. Or search online for "Scotty fly rod holder" - make sure when you buy the glue-on base that it includes the glue.

Jim

EricO
12-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info JDP!

JayDubP
12-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info JDP!

Don't laugh, I have seen this several times where the rod holder (or anchor) ends up in the wrong spot. especially on a smaller boat where space is critical. So plan it out before you glue.

1) mark where the boat folds so the glued down pad does not interfere with folding the boat,

2) then inflate the boat, sit in it to determine best location for the rod holder: exact top of the tube; close enough where you can reach it easily, but far enough away to not interfere with your paddle stroke. Mark that location, deflate the boat and glue on pad.

I remove the screw-on mount when i fold up my inflatable for storage.

Jim

EricO
12-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Great info...didn't cross my mind about placement, but that would suck if it was
installed on a crease!

Thanks again.
Eric