PDA

View Full Version : Northern California Fly Fishing Calendar

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Northern California Fly Fishing Calendar

Timing is as important as the location for fly fishing success. You can go to the most famous Nor Cal fly fishing destinations but if you are there at the wrong time of the year it normally won't be that good. After 50 years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento, fishing is what I know and I enjoy sharing it with others.

Dec/Jan/Feb is the time for winter Steelhead on out coastal river for the hearty anglers.

April/May is prime time for Bass and Panfish at the low to medium elevation lakes.

April/May is also popular for the spawning run of the Stripped Bass up near Colusa.

May/June, when the cherries are ripe, is the time for the American Shad in our rivers.

June is a top month for fishing mid-elevation trout streams and lakes in the Sierras.

July/August/Sept is the best time for hitting the high country for trout.

October is the other timing for mid-elevation trout streams and lakes.

Sept/Oct/Nov is Fall Steelhead time in the longer Nor Cal rivers.

Sept/Oct/Nov is also when the Fall salmon spawning run takes place.

If you need help planning a nice fly fishing trip for a day or a week just email, text or call me. I can advise you on all aspects of fly fishing. I can get you connected with an instructor, or fly fishing guide. I can also help you plan a week long trip to almost anywhere in the world.

gwris
12-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Thanks Bill