PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Bay Area fly shops??

TigerLilly
12-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Is Fish First in Albany still in business? Thier last on-line fish report is from May (I'm looking for current Yuba conditions) and their website leads with the predicted trout fishing conditions of last summer. With the California Fly Shop rolling up the carpet are there any fly shop left in the Bay Area? Are Kienes and FF Specialties the closest "real" full service fly shops left in the region? If not, where is the closest shop to Petaluma? Thanks.

Mark Kranhold
12-13-2018, 09:14 AM
George Revel left Leland’s and opened up Lost Coast Outfitters in SF. 540 Jackson street.

yubaman
12-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Yes, Fish First is still in Albany and going strong. Just bought a reel from Leo on Sunday! I am not sure what is happening with their Fishing Report. It used to be one of the best, but I think Mac lost interest in updating it? Also in Napa, is Sweeney's not still going?

John H
12-13-2018, 11:49 AM
I have been to the shop in Albany twice this year. It is a pretty good shop. Small space but they have a lot packed in there. I usually find something I need while my wife works the Solano Avenue shops. Zach’s pizza is not far up the street also.

loose_shoes
12-13-2018, 12:55 PM
What about Creative Sports in Pleasant Hill? Are they still open? I have not been in there in over a year - mostly because they have such a limited inventory. They were always willing to "order something for you" but I know how to drive the internet just as well as the next guy and that's not the reason why I go to a brick-and-mortar fly shop.

I'll pile on with the suggestions for Fish First! in Albany. Good inventory and really nice and helpful service. It's my pick for the the best fly shop in the bay area.

I've had my ups and downs with Lost Coast Outfitters in SF. I've had times with great service and advise and other times where I was completely ignored or treated as if I was annoying nuisance for trying to buy something. Probably 30% good, 70% not so much. I've been in the new LCO location a few times but always had the bad luck to be there at the same time when some blowhard was in the shop dominating the environment. Just a look of acknowledgement and a "I'll be right with you" would go a long way to improving the customer service experience there.

BenFishin
12-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Creative sports is still around and has moved to an even smaller shop. Limited supplies but as you said Jaime can get anything I need as a long as you're not in a hurry. I still prefer to shop local when I can

New address for creative sports is: 1712 Linda Dr, Pleasant Hill

What about Creative Sports in Pleasant Hill? Are they still open? I have not been in there in over a year - mostly because they have such a limited inventory. They were always willing to "order something for you" but I know how to drive the internet just as well as the next guy and that's not the reason why I go to a brick-and-mortar fly shop.

I'll pile on with the suggestions for Fish First! in Albany. Good inventory and really nice and helpful service. It's my pick for the the best fly shop in the bay area.

I've had my ups and downs with Lost Coast Outfitters in SF. I've had times with great service and advise and other times where I was completely ignored or treated as if I was annoying nuisance for trying to buy something. Probably 30% good, 70% not so much. I've been in the new LCO location a few times but always had the bad luck to be there at the same time when some blowhard was in the shop dominating the environment. Just a look of acknowledgement and a "I'll be right with you" would go a long way to improving the customer service experience there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-13-2018, 09:31 PM
10 to 20 years ago there were 60 fly shops in California.

Now I think there is 12?

lee s.
12-13-2018, 09:49 PM
If you can get to Sportsman's Warehouse in Rohnert Park when Jeff Is on, you can get fine knowledge and service in the fly section....though the selection is somewhat generic.

The Outdoor Pro in Rohnert Park is also somewhat generic in the fly section, but Scott, like Jeff, makes up for it with experience.

I also like dealing with Leo at Fish First in Albany.......always get the best from a conscientious owner, but man, I hate the drive!
.....lee s.

Norcal6
12-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Sweeney's in Napa is still going strong and has a good selection and great service. Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati has a good selection as well and very friendly.

Charlie S
12-14-2018, 11:02 AM
I miss McClintic’s on Grand Avenue in Oakland.

BenFishin
12-14-2018, 11:04 AM
I miss McClintic’s on Grand Avenue in Oakland.

I miss U.C.

BS
12-14-2018, 11:18 AM
I miss U.C.

Likewise. :(

Bob

Rossflyguy
12-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Internet killed the fly shops. And as far as manufacturers go, they say they’re pro fly shops but making fly shops buy $5-$10k worth of product (reels, rod, and appeal) to stay as a “dealer” is BS. Forcing fly shops to push over priced rods that don’t sell and then cutting them as a dealer because they’re not pushing $10k worth of product doesnt help the fly shops. This in turn doesn’t help the manufacturer. This is why we see sage and Simms in Bass pro/Cabela’s magazines. In my eyes those guys sold out.

Carl Blackledge
12-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Norcal,

I agree with you on the Outdoor pro shop in Cotati. That shop has 4 million in inventory and carry tons of flies including all of mine for Mexico plus Steelhead and salmon O yea all my Shad flies too.... They also ship

Carl Blackledge

Charlie S
12-15-2018, 08:34 AM
I’m here Ben, waiting for a visit during the fishing season.

Charlie S
12-15-2018, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=BS;187212]Likewise. :(

I’ve migrated to Central Oregon. 30-45 minutes to reach 9 fishable lakes. Ten + minutes to the Fall River. Two minutes to the Deschutes River. Bend is the best brew city in the US. What can I say?

BS
12-15-2018, 10:38 AM
"I’ve migrated to Central Oregon. 30-45 minutes to reach 9 fishable lakes. Ten + minutes to the Fall River. Two minutes to the Deschutes River. Bend is the best brew city in the US. What can I say?"

Yep, I do remember that.

IIRC Phil made the exodus first, then you, then Betty........

When we decided to leave California, Bend was on the radar for us too.
The wife wasn't too keen with the snow (specifically driving in it) so we we nixed that idea.

I use to live in Chico and became friends with Paul (Carpy).
Back in the day, on the NCFFB, I always enjoyed the exchanges/banter between you and Paul.
And even further back,............................ we met at a "Rod Bash" in Redding too !!!!!!

A few weeks back at Pyramid, I talked to a fellow that recently moved up to Bend and asked him if he had crossed paths with you, Phil, or Betty yet.
He hadn't, but don't be surprised if you're fishing up there and run into him and he mentions fishing at Pyramid.

In the past I've made a couple of fishing trips to fish Hosmer....... specificly to catch the Landlocked Atlantic Salmon (shows you how long ago that was) and REALLY,REALLY loved Bend.

Just some stuff from the past................................

Bob

Norcal6
12-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Norcal,

I agree with you on the Outdoor pro shop in Cotati. That shop has 4 million in inventory and carry tons of flies including all of mine for Mexico plus Steelhead and salmon O yea all my Shad flies too.... They also ship

Carl Blackledge

Carl, for the fisherman (fly or conventional), that store has a ton of inventory and one can really spend a lot of time browsing!