PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Stripers/Rod and Reel Suggestion

avidangler
12-10-2018, 11:24 PM
Hello all. I am looking into getting into fly casting clousers and deceivers for striped bass in the forebay/delta/local lagoons where I live and wondered what I need to look for in a combo,weight,what to look for in a reel,rod action,and lines. I am thinking one of the Rio sink tip lines. I am clueless as to reels in this size. The rod I plan on building ,myself as I am into that sort of thing,I was just hoping someone on here could give me some insight. Thanks in advance. I may use this rod in the surf ,and for steelhead on the trinity,if that's even possible.

McFish
12-11-2018, 03:33 AM
You will want an 8 weight rod as an all around choice. Some people do fish 7 wt, and some use 9 or 10 in the delta if targeting really large fish.

You will ultimately want 4 lines; I would start with a type 6 sinking; a leadcore like a T-10 or T-14, an intermediate or type 3, and a floater. The reel needs to hold the line and about 150 yds or more of 20 lb backing.

If you may be in the surf you want a fully sealed drag. I would check Google for articles rating reels; Piscafun Platte is an excellent value at about $160; or check out this article to see a wide range of reels and prices.

https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/8-weight-fly-reel-shootout-and-review-whats-the-best-saltwater-fly-reel/ or see this for a review of best value reels under $200; https://www.skilledangler.com/best-saltwater-fly-reels-for-the-money/

An 8 wt set up like this will cover almost all striper fishing, as well as surf, black bass, and steelheading.

A local fly fishing club can be an excellent resource as well, and often have used equipment sales or bulletin boards.

This board has good information, and Dan Blanton's board has more west coast striper info than any other, at least IMHO.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Excellent info McFish.......

Today people are using #6 to 9 weights for Stripers in California.

East Coast with bigger flies in the salt water is #9/10 lines.

This depends of fly size and fish size in most cases.

Steelhead and Stripers would maybe be a #7 line for a compromise.

Stripers only would probably be a #8 line outfit.

A Striper outfit can be anywhere from $300.00 to over $1,000.00.........this is up to you and your budget.

**I would take any tackle you own with you and go to Kiene's Fly Shop in Sacramento on the weekends and see Andy Guibord.

avidangler
12-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Thank's Bill. I am actually a rod builder so I am looking at a custom build for myself. I am researching so I make an informed decision before I proceed. I will definitely come in the shop one of these days.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2018, 10:12 PM
After you build the rod, bring it in and let Andy sell you a reel and put a good line on it.

Also look on our classifieds for a good deal on a used reel.

avidangler
12-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Thanks Bill. I was thinking that very thing. I'll be researching and on the lookout for good deals on fly reels ,and I'll for sure come in and see Andy. I could use casting lessons lol. I'm not used to these bigger weight lines and rods.

Rossflyguy
12-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Most people I know who striper fish use 9wts. A 15lb striper will make an 8wt feel like a 5wt. The line if choice is the colwater custom sink line. You cut the line down to desired grains to get the fly down.

McFish
12-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Ross; Not aiming for an argument here, but; Most ff I have talked to catch 100 fish under 10# to every 1 of 15#. I much prefer to feel the fight with the vast majority of my fish. remember, this is a newbie, not a trophy hunter. With 15 lb tippet it is pretty hard to blow up a rod; admittedly my few fish over 15 lb on my 8 come from Baja with far fewer obstructions, but that's what tippet is for. Ease of casting and feeling the fight far outweigh landing the occasional larger fish, IMHO.

avidangler
12-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Well I think I have it narrowed down. My first order of business was to pick a blank I wanted to build on. I am going to build a single handed Rainshadow Eternity2 ETEF908-4 9' 8 wt,and upline the reel to a 9. As for reels I am torn between the Orvis Hydros SL IV, Piscifun Platte 7/8,or a Nautilus CCF- X2 8/10. I will try and see if I can score some crazy deal on the Nautilus,because I want a reel in blue and the Orvis doesn't have that(I could look past that) and I am skeptical that the Piscifun would hold a candle to these other 2 reels. It seems the Orvis is damn near as good as the Nautilus at half the price. So thank you for your advice here I really am grateful for that. I promise to buy my line at Kiene's fly shop! :cool:

dynaflow
12-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Out of these three....get the Orvis and damn the aesthetics...lol!

tascaso
12-17-2018, 10:00 PM
You could always get a Galvan reel, family made up in Sonora CA!

avidangler
12-17-2018, 11:19 PM
You could always get a Galvan reel, family made up in Sonora CA!

Was totally eyeballing a grip 8. Great looking reel with great features,and I think the price is good for what you get. I dunno. I'm stumped lol.

JasonB
12-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Those Eternity rods are sweet. Very light, and very fast! I built a 6wt a while back, but have been very tempted to build an 8wt for silver salmon in Alaska.
Enjoy,
JB

Mr T
12-18-2018, 10:08 AM
get the orvis, cheaper, and go get lines!

fast sink and an intermediate are the two lines I use 90+% of the time.

avidangler
12-18-2018, 10:54 PM
LOL cheaper yes,but I'm a glutton for spending money! I have a vision of a reel that matches my rod. I dunno. Yeah Jason B I'm really looking forward to building on this blank. Plan on using it for a lot of different applications.

OceanSunfish
12-19-2018, 11:23 AM
get the orvis, cheaper, and go get lines!

fast sink and an intermediate are the two lines I use 90+% of the time.

I'm with "Mr. T.".......... The reel is actually used far less than anything else while fishing the Delta for striped bass. THE most important thing is matching the lines with the rod for your particular casting style, period. Many have decades old fly rods (including me) matched with a particular fly line that are just golden together..... so much so, that some will stock up on the fly line since they tend to change every so many years....... Once you have the "golden" combo why change?

$395 will nab you a nice fly reel........ $395 will also nab you a 7" CHIRP/GPS unit capable of using a Navionics or Lake Master SD card for chart work. Now that I think about it, the fly reel may be the least important thing on the long list of items needed to effectively fish the delta for striped bass.

avidangler
12-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Once you have the "golden" combo why change? I don't have any combo

$395 will nab you a nice fly reel........ $395 will also nab you a 7" CHIRP/GPS unit capable of using a Navionics or Lake Master SD card for chart work. Now that I think about it, the fly reel may be the least important thing on the long list of items needed to effectively fish the delta for striped bass. So I should just buy some piece of trash fiberglass jobber and an old martin reel and call it good? I guess I see what you're saying,but I stated clearly that I don't mind dropping cash on everything I need,and I plan on using this outfit for multiple species such as steelhead,among others. I'm one of these guys who enjoys using high end gear and I am building this rod so I kind of want the reel to compliment it aesthetically ,you know,so I look cool ,and the photos look snazzy lol.

OceanSunfish
12-21-2018, 02:51 AM
I don't have any combo

So I should just buy some piece of trash fiberglass jobber and an old martin reel and call it good? I guess I see what you're saying,but I stated clearly that I don't mind dropping cash on everything I need,and I plan on using this outfit for multiple species such as steelhead,among others. I'm one of these guys who enjoys using high end gear and I am building this rod so I kind of want the reel to compliment it aesthetically ,you know,so I look cool ,and the photos look snazzy lol.

No, not that at all...... "decades old fly rod" doesn't mean it was "cheap", on the contrary, it was on the higher end at the time. Still, about half of what the current model..... 3rd generation sells at today. However, the rod matches perfectly with a specific ROS sink rate line and there's no reason to change the rod out for a newer model.

Feel free to buy what you enjoy...... who are we to say. The word of caution is that when building a fly rod, you will not know how it will match with lines, if at all. Hopefully, you have access to a built rod with the same blank to try first. Even the current model rods sold off the rack do not necessarily match perfectly to the preferred sink rate lines for striped bass fishing.

As for the photos..... do not forget to place the rod and reel on your shoulder while holding the fish...... ugh. <wink>

Mr T
12-21-2018, 09:21 AM
If you have the money, the time and the inclination to put together a high end combination, then by all means go for it~ I don't think that anyone, including myself are going to tell you not to do that. Its all about what works for you. I find that for myself, I want to have a couple rods rigged and ready to go when I fish, so it does become an issue of cost- fly fishing gets pricey...

avidangler
12-21-2018, 11:50 PM
If you have the money, the time and the inclination to put together a high end combination, then by all means go for it~ I don't think that anyone, including myself are going to tell you not to do that. Its all about what works for you. I find that for myself, I want to have a couple rods rigged and ready to go when I fish, so it does become an issue of cost- fly fishing gets pricey...

Lol yes it is pricey

E.Drucker
01-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Galvan and Stripers are meant for each other!

Spend the $ and book a day with First Hatch Guide service..pick his brain hard. Very worthwhile investment.

Darian
01-29-2019, 11:04 AM
avidangler,.... I'll second the suggestion to book a day with Maury Hatch. Great guy and guide. The only thing I would add is that he offers use of his equipment without charge which includes Galvan reels/SAGE rods. You could use the opportunity to decide what set-up you want to buy....

scall
10-08-2019, 07:57 AM
avidangler.....Curious to know if you ended up building the rod you mentioned earlier and what lines you are using and reel. I am considering building the same blank and wanted to get some feedback/you opinion on our set-up. I will mainly be using in San Francisco bay area for surf rod.

Thanks

avidangler
10-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Hey I ended up curtailing that build and went in a different direction. I just know I've heard great things about the blank but have no experience first hand. Sorry bud.

steveg137
10-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Another vote for Maury Hatch !