PDA

View Full Version : Main Stem & SF Eel, Van Duzen

Troutdoorsman
11-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

With the first good rain of the season currently coming down, my brain is in full steelhead mode. I am planning a trip 12/2-12/9 to check out the SF & Main stem of the Eel and the Van Duzen for the first time. Was wondering if anyone had information on Drift boat put-ins & take-outs and locations to camp on these waters. Also if there are any hazards or things to beware of during these floats. We will be primarily swinging flies! I am looking forward to adventuring the famed Eel river watershed, and I greatly appreciate any information on this area.

Tight Lines!

jack_salmon99
11-30-2018, 08:22 AM
I don't have any first hand information to offer you but take a look at the Humboldt Tuna Club discussion board. They have a section devoted to inland waters (http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?board=35.0). You'll run across some intel in some of the posts that may help you get started.

Petundra
11-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Main Stem looks blown out right now 11,000CFS...the south fork might come into shape this weekend (I like to fish it below 1800CFS at the Miranda gauge) but with more wet weather coming next week it will probably be blown out too by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I would go to the Trinity or Klamath but that's just my opinion. Good Luck

Troutdoorsman
11-30-2018, 04:47 PM

Awesome thanks for the information I greatly appreciate it . Do you float the south fork petundra? looks like it might be in those levels sun-wed. Thinking about checking out the SF & Main stem for a few days and see how it goes and then head to the trinity the last few days if the eel blows out. I love the trinity and have fished it a few times this season. I always enjoy the adventure of fishing in new locations! After spending some time looking at the main stem on google earth it seems that you can launch from the large gravel bars at many different areas. if anyone has floated at around the 3-4k cfs how many miles are we looking to cover to fish a full day swing fishing, if anyone has any info on put-ins or take-outs for the eel I would really appreciate it!

Tight Lines Everyone! Thanks!

mircetich
12-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! With the first good rain of the season currently coming down, my brain is in full steelhead mode. I am planning a trip 12/2-12/9 to check out the SF & Main stem of the Eel and the Van Duzen for the first time. Was wondering if anyone had information on Drift boat put-ins & take-outs and locations to camp on these waters. Also if there are any hazards or things to beware of during these floats. We will be primarily swinging flies! I am looking forward to adventuring the famed Eel river watershed, and I greatly appreciate any information on this area.

Tight Lines!

PM Sent, Call if you wish

Jeff F
12-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Probably a little early for any good numbers of steelhead to be in the Eel system. But I'm sure there are some around. Probably lots more salmon than steelhead as the salmon were stacked up at the mouth waiting for rain. Flows should be fine midweek on all rivers. As for floating the main Eel, I would concentrate on the lower river. Meaning, Stafford, Scotia, Fortuna areas. For reference, in February, we usually float from Holmes down to Stafford. That's about 6-7 river miles, I think. That's an all day float. Lots of water to get out and fish. With lower flows, there's way more water to fish.

I really don't fish the SF anymore. For me personally, I've just found that the fish aren't real grabby when it comes to swung flies. If you do go there, I would be throwing egg patterns under an indicator. That's what the majority of the guides do with their clients. Beautuiful river though.

Good luck and please post a report upon your return.

~Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
I think February is the top month for coastal winter Steelhead.........on average.

Trouter925
12-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Jeff F, I don't suppose you know anyone that runs shuttles in the area?
Thanks,
Earl

Troutdoorsman
12-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my post. Unfortunately some things came up and I was unable to make the trip this week. I am still considering going up this coming week or next dependent on water levels and rain. Jon thanks so much for the information and I will definitely give you a call for a shuttle when I'm coming up. Jeff thanks for the info, I am very grateful. I will keep watching the flows and hope to get up there ASAP!! I will give a report when I'm on the road up there and after I have fished. Thanks again everyone!

Sam

Jeff F
12-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Jeff F, I don't suppose you know anyone that runs shuttles in the area?
Thanks,
Earl

Earl, no I don't, as I usually fish with a friend and we have two cars. But I'm sure Jon who posted on this thread does. You might wanna PM him.

Jeff F
12-03-2018, 03:14 PM
PM Sent, Call if you wish

Hey Jon, are you guiding again up there?

mircetich
12-04-2018, 06:32 AM
My daughter and I will run shuttles when we are available for the Eel, VD, and lower SF. PM me for a phone number

mircetich
12-04-2018, 06:33 AM
No, Just fishing for myself now! but available to help out when needed. Feel free to give me a shout for info or up to date conditions. I know it is a hour to get here

mannamedstan
12-31-2018, 01:34 PM
I’m looking for a shuttle later this week on the south fork. Does the shop in Garberville have any leads for shuttles? Any info is much appreciated.

Thank you- Stan

Larry S
12-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Stan,
You might want to call Grundman's Sporting Goods in Rio Dell.
707-764-5744 ; Good folks there.
Brown's in Garberville is 707-923-2533.
Hope you post a report.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

mannamedstan
12-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Thank you Larry -

I was planning on posting a report - I will update it to this thread. My wife and I are hoping to fish until Saturday. We might end up on the Trinity later in the week, but it looks like they already have plenty of boats, so we thought to explore the S Fork.

hwchubb
01-01-2019, 07:32 PM
I was up on the Mad Saturday and Sunday. Both it and the Van Duzen were stilll pretty off color, and the Mad didn’t seem to have many fish in it. I did manage one 9# wild buck and had another on for 2 head shakes, but saw virtually nothing else hooked. Hit the Trinity on the way back, level and color is perfect, but no one told the fish. Nothing at Willow Creek, one grab in JC, lots of activity between JC and Big Bar. Must be a reason?

Heard Redwood Creek was clear, don’t know about anything south of Eureka. Have fun, and please post a report.

avidangler
01-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Word around the campfire is fishin has been slow ,scratch fishin at it's finest. Can't catch them from the sofa,though.

Half Pounder
01-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Yep. Fishing on the coast has been slooooooooow. On the upside, the wading is nice and easy with lower flows and improved clarity.

mannamedstan
01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Fishing was slow for me. Rode the public bus to shuttle the trailer - worked well. River looks great and I was told a guy landed 3 in Leggett a few days ago. We spent our time focusing on Benbow to Garberville, awesome drift and works well with the bus. Fish might be in a different section of the river, but we didn't cross any.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Timing is so important with winter Steelheading.

No rain

Too much rain

DAVID95670
01-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Blood wolf moon

mannamedstan
01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Still a great trip to start 2019

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49395811_10100342640208610_6850376797356294144_o.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=6cc7c5e1fca4394749a8d629464b222f&oe=5CD901A7

First time for my lady on our new boat floating the Eel. I made it from Okoume plywood, and old growth larch reclaimed from Lake Coeur D'Alene, ID (https://www.timelesstimber.com/). No plans, and I used a jigsaw, and a bandsaw - lots of sanding. I had a yard stick and a lot of clamps, and got it floating in 7 weeks. No screws - stitch and glue. Weighs ~175# empty, draws 3" with wife and dog, loaded with chairs and table for riverside lunch (stove + cooler). Oarsman chair has 14" of range - 12" between the forward and aft oarlocks.

Larry S
01-04-2019, 05:22 PM
@manna,
Love the old school approach. Now, if we could just bring back the old runs.
Best!
Larry S Sun Diego

avidangler
01-04-2019, 06:55 PM
That boat is sweet!!