PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report 11/15/2018

BS
11-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Did an all day Pyramid trip on Thursday 11/15/18.

My trip scheduled the week before this one was thwarted by a leaking radiator hose @ 4:30 a.m. (16 degrees outside) as my car was warming up. :mad:

Anyhow, I was on the water @ 7:15 a.m. and slogged out of the water @ 4:15 p.m..

Fished @ Wino with people coming and going all day long.
At most, there were nine of us fishing and at the least, three of us.
It's getting busier during the week....................

The banter was, "Shoulda' been here yesterday" and "The spinning rod guys were doing really good yesterday".

Well, for me it was one of those days where the fish just didn't want anything much under an indicator.
I went 1 for 6 landing a "somewhat larger than a rat" and, yep, I LDR'd and missed the other five take-downs.

The guy's stripping did MUCH better.........a pal that I met last year did really well stripping a white/chartreuse tadpole behind a bugger and he landed 16.
I was even "honored" to net a couple of larger fish for him............one of which was well over the 15 lb mark !!!
He was on the water at "Dark O'thirty" and called it a day at 4:15 p.m. too.

So, there you have it.

No "Big moon,no fish" for an excuse here..........

My sinking line is now in my gear bag waiting for the next trip. :o

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-17-2018, 05:28 AM
In the 1970s we mostly used a Fenwick 9' #9 fiberglass 2 piece fly rod, large reel filled with braided Dacron line for backing, then

~100' of mono shooting line, then 25 feet of lead core line for a shooting head.

Then a short heavy leader with a big dark (black & red) heavily dressed unweighted Wooly Worm (before the Woolly Bugger came

on the scene) trailing a smaller light colored (white) Wooly Worm.

We wore old fashion boot foot wader or Seal-Dri latex stocking foot waders.

This was pre-ladder fishing so we just waded out......

We cast out and let it sink for a while to get on the bottom.

Then we stripped it all back in.

I did notice that the hooks became shinny as the bronze finish wore off from plowing through the sand bottom.

In February our local Sacramento fly club, California Fly Fishers Unlimited, had an annual outing at Pyramid Lake.