PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Update

cdevine
10-20-2018, 08:00 AM
I've been bouncing between the NV and CA side of the Truckee the last few outings. Blue Bird warm afternoons after chilly mornings. Best fishing for me has been from 11-4pm on the CA side. Not a bad idea to get that second cup of coffee when its 22 degrees out. Reno and East is warmer so the morning temps haven't been as cold. Little bit wider fishing window.

At least the last few outings have been mainly medium size rainbows on the CA side keying on small baetis and midge patterns. Don't be afraid to use a tad of flash like a rainbow warrior. I have sized down to 5x on dropper fly because water is gin clear. Water temps were 56 degrees mid day.

On NV side a little more "stain" to the water so I've stuck with 4x nymphing. I've been getting into some bigger (fatter) rainbows east of town but not the quantity as on the CA side. You get some pretty solid BWO hatches on those partly overcast days down in the desert. Never a bad idea to have that dry fly rigged and ready.

I've been mainly tight lining, bobber nymphing, and throwing dry droppers. I haven't brought the streamer rig out yet.

Colors are amazing out there. Hiked up to Marlette Lake for some exercise and sight seeing. Def get out and enjoy. Not too many peeps around.

yubaman
10-22-2018, 10:50 PM
Fished this past weekend was down low, but still in Ca. Worked my way up with articulated streamers. Had one bump with no hookup, and got a long chase from the Field Marshall himself, appeared to be a nice brown in the 20" range, but turned away after about 15' inspection. Worked back down nymphing and landed several fish including a couple of decent bows. Did not miss the Niner game one bit. Glad I went fishing. It is definitely fall up in the mountains!

cdevine
10-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Hahhahah.. The niners are dog doo. Not sure even with Jimmy G how many wins they would have mustered up. Good choice. Sounds like a good outing and its good to know the chase was on.

One thing I didn't mention was I'm finding fish in lots of water types. Its always that transition period where fish can be holding tight to the bank, faster lanes, slower runs, etc. Cover some water like you did. Water temps in afternoon are still fairly mild. I know well as I took a swim the other day. Getting old...