PDA

View Full Version : KVIE documentary on the Salton Sea in Southern California.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-04-2018, 06:38 AM
I guess in the 1960s it was a big deal for fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=303&v=8TjGAWxL23c

Peter S
10-04-2018, 08:07 AM
I remember the Salton Sea as a hot and smelly place. I fished the east shore of Salton Sea back in the late 60's into the early 70's with my father and brother.

We caught some huge Corvina. We used amphibians for bait, I think they were called Waterdogs, which we had to buy or catch.

The Sea is very shallow and is well below sea level. All of our fishing was done at night. We would wade out into the mud flats as far as we could go then heave the waterdog and sinker as far as it would go. Then, open the bail and wade back to shore, placing the rod in a spike holder. Then we would wait till a fish took the bait. The sea eventually became too saline to support the Corvina fishery. I believe the term "shithole" was coined at the Salton Sea.

Mr T
10-05-2018, 07:43 AM
I was in the are in August and went to see it, a truly depressing scene. Hot, smelly, and for all intents and purposes dead. Very sad to see.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-05-2018, 01:58 PM
It would cost billions to get clean ocean salt water in and out of the Salton Sea but it would become a real paradise and huge economic boom to Southern Cal.