PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To The Perch?

thunder28
09-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Larry S and I have been fishing Black's Beach for @ 18 years now. When we started perch were everywhere. We'd easily have over 30+ fish days in the few hours spent. We took them for granted always in search of corbina,spotfin,halibut or other more "respectable" fish. When all else failed, we knew we could count on the perch being there willing to bite. Over the years though their numbers began to shrink. Especially the last five years. We blamed it on water temperature, lack of sand crabs, bean clams, etc.. But they didn't return even when those conditions were great. This year we've caught only a few and this month so far none. I was wondering if this situation is common on other beaches or unique to Black's. Anyone have any theories? I really miss those guys.

Darian
09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
You might have to expand your horizons a bit. Perch are being caught in other areas of SoCal, according to Facebook group "Cali Coast Surf Fishing (California surf anglers)" posts/photo's. Maybe a trip or two is in order.... :cool:

Larry S
09-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Darian,
Our stretch of Black's probably covers close to three miles; from just north of Scripps
to just south of the LG towers at Torrey. I frequently check the flificker site as well as the the surf
report on SD Fishing forums. In addition, I read the weekly Surf Fishing reports in the Western
Outdoor News. Pretty much have to look north of Santa Barbara for perch activity.
My guess is that the perch are feeding in other zones, probably in deeper water.
Why? That's the $64 question.
Best,
Larry S

Lew Riffle
09-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Think about it. All it takes is a few people fishing for take anywhere they can find perch. They take everything they catch for culture or need it does not matter beyond that it goes on regularly everywhere on beaches were perch can be had. Bottom line the size and number of perch goes down. Populations have been in decline ever since they changed the regs from a limit of 5 fish in the mid 90's. El Ninos are not good on perch. Yes barred perch do move to deeper water especially the larger females which can carry the spawning number because they produce more offspring but they eventually get taken and new ones never happen because of the fishing pressure, which does not need to be much when you think about it when it gets to diminished levels. A problem for only the people who want of fish for them. The size and numbers are down but the species as whole is not threatened I would think. Just not in numbers and size like they used to be. Maybe I can find someone to take a look at the populations at Sands Elwood Beaches here in Santa Barbara after being in a no take MPA for close to a decade. Not likely to help us catch more perch unfortunately because there is little reason for anyone in CDFW do anything about it. Think about it.....

thunder28
09-23-2018, 09:26 AM
What you say makes a lot of sense. The mystery that Larry and I can't figure out is that the area we fish has been closed to the taking of fish because it's in the MLPA. That's been effect now for @10 years. So if anything you'd think the population of perch wouldn't be affected that much.