PDA

View Full Version : I heard the flow has come down on Putah Creek.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Heard that it has been good over there from a local expert.

They are using very small #18/20 nymphs.....WD40s / PT / caddis larva / Midge lava

With the low flows it should be easier to wade now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Get over there with Putah Creek guide Rob Rusell if you want to learn the little tricks over at Putah.......

https://www.facebook.com/robrussellflyfishing/

1-707-888-2571

Mickey
09-04-2018, 06:49 AM
:(

They usually drop flows temporarily about now for maintenance then ramp them back up until mid October.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Thanks Mickey

Thought it was a little early.

Rob Russell Fly Fishing
09-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Hey All!

I am really excited for the Fall fishing at Putah Creek. This Summer was excellent and I expect more of the same going forward.

Fishing has been excellent recently and was great last weekend with good numbers of really healthy fish being hooked. Putah trout are fat! Flows are at 413 cfs tonight, up from the mid-300s cfs during the weekend. Big increases will slow fishing however sub-500 flows are less effected and fishing should remain good.

Give a call with any questions or to book a trip.

Rob Russell 707-888-2571

Insta @robrussellflyfishing

Facebook #robrussellflyfishing

Thank you for the mention Bill! -Rob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the excellent info Rob.

Exciting to hear Putah Creek has some good fishing in it now.

SST Flies
09-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Finally home! I euro fished a couple days last week, and after changing out several of the normal "go to's" on the creek, a small#16 BH Birds Nest (hares ear) finally netted a few little guys. Very little insect activity noted before noon.

Water is pushing 466 as I type. I am going to give it another go in the morning then I am headed east until the water drops to 350cfs and under

I counted half a dozen spin fishermen on the creek Wednesday and had to remind one gentleman about C&R as well as barbless hooks. Wasn't too happy with me... (I am over it!) Not sure if there is a "regs" sign posted at Canyon Creek, but t would be a good to do so, if needed.

cyama
09-05-2018, 11:31 PM
No fish in Putah Creek except carp... Stay away from that place.. My buddy Rob might be able to find some of the last fish remaining... Need to use a size 30 midge with 7x or something close. Go to the Truckee or North Yuba!!

Rob Russell Fly Fishing
09-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Omg Chris! Thanks! I guess?? Lollllll
P.s. will you be able to make the clean-up Sept 15th?
P.p.s. Will you guys be hanging at your secret lake this Fall before it closes?? Would be great to fish with some P.C. originals!!

cyama
09-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Had to try and scare a few people away for a day..... If you want to go pig hunting call Rob. Going to the cleanup and heading out to many lakes in Late Sept.

Rob Russell Fly Fishing
09-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Awesome man. I have more info on fly fishing and Putah Creek; but would be happy to answer any questions about pig hunting as well.:)

PMD
09-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Definitely need more C&R signs. Drove by a dude with 2 or 3 12" inchers on a stringer a month ago.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2018, 03:39 PM
There is no budget left in California for game wardens........

cdevine
09-12-2018, 04:40 PM
A stringer at Putah? Good lord. Seems like there are signs everywhere. I hope that is a rare exception. But I'm convinced I will get struck by lightning in CA before I see a warden and I fish a lot. I see NDOW quite a bit when fishing on the Truckee or EW in Nevada. Saw Wardens all time in Alaska fishing. I think you are right bill. No resources. Bummer,

Jake B
09-12-2018, 06:10 PM
You’d think they’d have signs about rafting the upper stretches of putah. Last night on way home there was a truck and trailer w canoes and a raft surrounded by chp fire ambulance and helicopter sitting in parking lot. With river lit up. Drove past next parking lot and same scenerio. Very sad and I hope the outcome turned for the best. Do not know any details, we all know how cold that water is and if not prepared you won’t last long in it. Be safe wading as well

cyama
09-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Last night on Putah Creek was pretty crazy. While suiting up around 6:30 pm a Winters fire truck pulled up sirens blazing. I was looking around for a fire... Fireman said did you call in an emergency. Not me sir. About the same time a search and rescue helicopter arrived and was circling around Access 4. That is fast for the helicopter as Winters is about five minutes to the creek. Fireman took off and didn't give any information. I walked around figuring it was a swift water rescue, but didn't see anybody or anything out of order. I talked to a sheriff who said an empty kayak was found and an emergency was called in. I looked at the news today but see anything in the local papers. Hopefully everyone is safe. What I can say is emergency services in the area are fast and we should all be thankful for those guys!!