PDA

View Full Version : Stonedaddy fly: alternatives?

fishbonz
08-30-2018, 08:56 AM
Hello members,

I have read about how good a fly the Stonedaddy fly is, imitating stonefly or crawdad, especially in the Truckee river which is where I'm doing my fly fishing lately. However, despite finding it in the Umpqua online catalog, there does not seem to be anywhere that SELLS them. Though I did tie flies in past, I just don't have time to do so anymore. So I won't be doing the obvious: tie them myself. Which leads to my questions....:

1. Does anyone have info on why it is not available commercially? What happened? Or if you know where they CAN be purchased, then where?
2. What is your favorite Alternative fly to the Stonedaddy fly (that is available for purchase)?
3. If I do have some free time, what Simple pattern would you suggest to tie, using common materials (not uncommon expensive ones)?

Thanks in advance.

John Sv
08-30-2018, 09:17 AM
A simple pattern to tie that I use for both stones and the crayfish molt is a plain old bird's nest with a bead head. I'm not sure if it is as catching as a stone daddy but I seem to have luck.

berryessie
08-30-2018, 08:42 PM
The hardware store in Truckee has them. And so does at least one of fly shops in Sacramento. Call around.

Ralph
08-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Doug Oulette is the source. Text (775) 722-2267. I no longer have his email.

bigfly
08-31-2018, 08:42 AM
One lesson you learn on a high pressure fishery like the T, is that "killer fly" won't be for long if everyone fishes it.
Let alone posts it up.....
Love Doug's patterns, but went through this with Haddon's cray...which used to be killer. Now the fish say..."Tim's sz 8 cray, no way!
Often the fish looks, but doesn't buy.
Tye your own for best results, you only need one..........the fish in the T could help with inventory at Mt hardware.......
Because it is the only shop in town.......

Jim

EricO
08-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Agreed, check Mountain Hardware in Truckee. They have a nice selection of flies
for the Big T and Little T.

Eric

Ralph
08-31-2018, 12:39 PM
One lesson you learn on a high pressure fishery like the T, is that "killer fly" won't be for long if everyone fishes it.
Jim

We'll put Jim. Mix it up. Use the new "hot" patterns, then sneak in some old stand by that used to be the rage but few use any longer. Not a whole lot of fish swimming in the river today have seen a spruce matuka or a gray ghost. There is a reason those names have lived through eternity when so many flash-in-the-pan patterns disappear in a few seasons. The beauty of tying/inventing your own patterns is that they are always fresh meat and not some recycled product that trout simply roll their eyes at.

bigfly
09-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Years ago, Andy told me flies are tied to catch fishermen.........
He would know....he caught a bunch.
I learned from him to tie for the fish. Guide flies are often not pretty, but fish well....because fish don't see them.
It's not unusual here, to see a fish "bird dogging" a fly for 10-20 feet or more. Careful shopping is how it looks to me.
An unaffected drift is as important as fly choice.
But just as importantly, I don't fish the same thing all the time or in the same spot, or even using the same techniques.
And if I do use store bought flies....they may not look exactly like they did when sold..................
Think outside the box for best results.
I always say....don't fish like the other guy......

Jim

BobVP
09-01-2018, 10:12 AM
This reminds me of what my old friend David Schacter told me years ago, when he was guiding: When he was lucky enough to be on top of a hatch, he would take a look at what was hatching and tie on the opposite! If it was light colored he would go to dark and vice-versa. What he did say was he would stay near the size but he believed throwing something "odd" (color wise) caught the eye of fish better. Considering he was so successful so much of the time (at least when I fished with him) I trust there must have been some truth to this. Then agin during a wild hatch, who knows?

Years ago, Andy told me flies are tied to catch fishermen.........
He would know....he caught a bunch.
I learned from him to tie for the fish. Guide flies are often not pretty, but fish well....because fish don't see them.
It's not unusual here, to see a fish "bird dogging" a fly for 10-20 feet or more. Careful shopping is how it looks to me.
An unaffected drift is as important as fly choice.
But just as importantly, I don't fish the same thing all the time or in the same spot, or even using the same techniques.
And if I do use store bought flies....they may not look exactly like they did when sold..................
Think outside the box for best results.
I always say....don't fish like the other guy......

Jim

cdevine
09-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Hello members,

I have read about how good a fly the Stonedaddy fly is, imitating stonefly or crawdad, especially in the Truckee river which is where I'm doing my fly fishing lately. However, despite finding it in the Umpqua online catalog, there does not seem to be anywhere that SELLS them. Though I did tie flies in past, I just don't have time to do so anymore. So I won't be doing the obvious: tie them myself. Which leads to my questions....:

1. Does anyone have info on why it is not available commercially? What happened? Or if you know where they CAN be purchased, then where?
2. What is your favorite Alternative fly to the Stonedaddy fly (that is available for purchase)?
3. If I do have some free time, what Simple pattern would you suggest to tie, using common materials (not uncommon expensive ones)?

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of good flies on the T or any other stream for that matter. I've used the stone daddy as a staple for quite sometime as crawfish and stoneflies are a big source of protein for trout on the bit T. I wouldn't say there is any secret sauce though. Its just as much reading water type and drift as it is fly selection. I was in Kienes the other day and they didn't carry the pattern. I know Fly Fishing Specialities and Mtn Hardware have it.

Here is a pic from last week on the T. Yeah the little guy took the Daddy. So much for those smart Truckee fish.14333

Good luck.

bigfly
09-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Generally the smart Truckee fish are over 20"+......
But some little guys can be precocious.....

cdevine
09-02-2018, 07:00 AM
I've caught big ones and small ones. With some luck and effort that will hopefully continue. I don't discriminate. For me its all about the experience. The fish are just icing.

As for the poster question don't beat yourself up about that "key" fly. Some patterns work better than others. Just get out on the river and if you are in the right type of water with a good drift you will get your opportunities.

Fall is my wife's and I favorite season. Shorter days, cooler nights/days, and less crowds.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

bigfly
09-02-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm not here to heckle. I agree the Daddy is a good fly, just saying you can wear it out.
If you are catching fish here, it means you are doing something right.....good for you!
What I'm trying to say, is there is another level to this.
The little guys need to be caught, so they grow up smart.
But, I do discriminate.....and the sticks that are serious up here hunt Walter, because he IS smarter and better at being a fish, which means I have to get better at catching.
So this is not about luck, this is serious........and any little thing I can do to get better, I will.....we don't just go through the motion of fishing up here...we raise the bar.
Andy taught me to give it away, (Raiph too) ...so I do. If people get some good out of it, I'm psyched...
I can help someone get better at the fly, because that's what I do everyday.
If they don't want to listen, that's fine too.........
But when seasoned fishers say something in agreement, it could be true.............maybe try to hear/understand them..
Totally concur that getting a drift is key, but that's just a start........to consistently pick one weight class of fish requires study, and specialization, and practice.....
If you are trying, but not catching bigger fish here with regularity, there IS room for improvement.
Mostly, I don't hook little fish at all, due to the style I fish. Tip#1
Fishy locals tie their own flies, for advantage. Tip#2
And if you ever meet your own fish hero on the road, kill him. Tip#3
(Ancient Budist fishing proverb...)
I live by this....

Let me know if I can ever help.......

Jim

PV_Premier
09-03-2018, 03:50 PM
I just use a rubber legs. And I catch enough fish, including some big ones.