PDA

View Full Version : Bend OR

spekstrom
08-28-2018, 04:12 PM
I'll be in Bend in the middle of September and will have a couple of days to fish mid-week. I'm super excited because I haven't been on any moving water for a couple of years. I sure would appreciate any tips on where to fish that's inside of an hour's drive from Bend. Streams and rivers are my favorites but lakes from the shore are also OK.

Thanks!

Steve.

tommylee
08-28-2018, 05:17 PM
The Metolius River near Sisters just north of Bend. Check in with the fly shop in downtown Sisters, should be easy to find. They were very helpful when I was there last October. They can guide you or help with some good access points of the river, local fly patterns etc. The Metolius is a very beautiful and easy to wade river.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2018, 05:33 PM
There are some fly shops around Bend and Sun River...........Google them.

hwchubb
08-28-2018, 06:02 PM
The Deschutes river for Steelhead (a little over an hour)... Wickiup Reservoir for BIG fall Browns... the Upper Deschutes above Crane Prarie for Labrador sized Brookies... the aforementioned Metolius... the Crooked outside Prineville for smaller but very willing rainbows...

My friend, you have options!

Bob Scheidt
08-29-2018, 08:07 AM
You might try East Lake. Calibaetis hatch and a streamer near evening. Bend area gets a lot of fishing pressure but the fishing can still be good.

Spicytuna1
08-29-2018, 11:02 AM
They call it the Crooked river because it steals your flies.

Every time you set up and miss a fish your flies end up in the bushes along the bank.

Charlie S
08-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Forget Wickiup. I was there today and it is as low as I’ve ever seen it. Other recommendations are good. Don’t forget the Fall River that runs along Century Drive on the way to Crane.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2018, 07:48 AM
Charlie.....any fly shops up near Bend that you are comfortable recommending?

drdan
08-31-2018, 10:43 PM
Charlie.....any fly shops up near Bend that you are comfortable recommending?

I had a good experience with the Patient Angler in Bend. Very knowledgable, gave me a map and a great discount on a new net. Check them out!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Our late "Oregon Salmon", old Galen Geller use to live in or around Bend for a while.

He told me that he liked the guys at "Patient Angler" so that wonderful news, again.

Thanks Dr Dan.

spekstrom
09-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. Less than two weeks to go and I'll be on the water - can't wait!

Steve.