PDA

View Full Version : East Walker

TroutHunter10
08-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Hi All--

I'm headed up to the East Walker Thursday and wanted to see if anyone has been up there lately.

I'll be taking a friend who has never fly fished for trout before.

I plan on huking streamers for the most part but want to make sure he gets some fish. Any fly suggestions? I was thinking rubber legs and tan caddis or midge which never seems to fail me but suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

cdevine
08-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Daniel, I've stayed away for the last 6+ weeks because water temps got a little too unhealthy. The EW gets pretty warm during the dog days of summer because Bridgeport is relatively shallow and there aren't a lot of cold feeder streams. I know flows are perfect in the 200 ish range. Its been a little cooler lately so I would say you should be ok but I would fish early and get off the river in afternoon if it gets too warm. Throwing streamers is really fun on the EW. Crawdad patterns work well right now and so various caddis/midge patters. I plan on fishing it pretty hard in the fall. The crowds really thin out.

Stop in and see Jim at Ken's. He is a real good guy.

Good luck!

stanbery
08-22-2018, 07:08 PM
If fishing for trout is tough try the toilet bowl with hoppers or tan beetle for perch carp and chub with a trout thrown in every once in a while.

It was very good a few weeks ago.

Jon

TroutHunter10
08-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks all. Happy to report back. Will probably fish upper Owens and hot creek as well.

cdevine
08-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks all. Happy to report back. Will probably fish upper Owens and hot creek as well.

Thanks. You won't be disappointed. Hoppers at Hot Creek this time of year. Right under the undercuts. Bring a 3wt out there and have fun.

TroutHunter10
08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Quick report back.

Fished the EW Friday AM and had the entire miracle mile to ourselves. We did pretty well. Caught them on tan caddis, green mayfly, streamers, and dead drifted crawdads. Best fishing was from 6-8am. The water was relatively warm so we left around 10 to fish hot creek. The hoppers were flying and the fish were looking up. The creek was caulked full of weeds but if you could get a good drift, you had a good shot.

Fished the upper owens as well. A really fun stream and beautiful setting. the hopper hatch was good in the afternoon when the wind kicked up.

Overall, a good weekend of fishing. It was nice to not stare at a bobber all weekend.

cdevine
08-27-2018, 05:55 AM
Nice report. It’s amazing how “thin” the east side gets when kiddos go back to school and fall rolls around. Glad you enjoyed the solitary. Good job getting off EW early. Those water temps really get hot during dog days and best to avoid. With these 35-39 degree overnight lows it should start fishing much better and fish will start chasing soon. Look forward to getting over there soon.
Thx again for sharing.

Lew Riffle
08-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Keep in mind about not spreading invasive New Zealand mud snails. Fishing Hot Creek/ Mammoth you are in infected waters so it is best to fish the Walker first or do a good job cleaning your wading if you go there first.

cdevine
09-08-2018, 04:32 PM
East Walker running 167 CFS and early morning water temps now around 60 degrees. I fished from 7am until 12 noon. The afternoon temps got into the 66 degree range which is still on the warm side. Don't need to stress the fish out. Looks like next week the lows start getting around freezing in Bridgeport with afternoons in the 70's. It will be game on soon for the entire day. Hopefully flows stay at least above 100. When it gets boney its time to look elsewhere.

Hopper/Dropper setup worked well w/ a zebra midge trailer. Also nymphing up on cray patterns and small caddis. I would call the fishing average/fair for the EW w/ the temps having a lot to do with that. I expect it only to get better.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2018, 06:28 PM
It is in the 30s at night in Bridgeport so I think Fall is here.

A few years ago Andy Guibord and I went over into Nevada from Bridgeport to the EW on the Rosaschi Ranch and loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poltlVBn5Ik

Not us in the video........

Iconic Ken's sporting goods in Bridgeport, CA has one day NV fishing licenses......pretty cheap.

http://kenssport.com/

cdevine
09-09-2018, 10:29 AM
bill, 27 this morning. Pretty safe now and going forward. I would say as a precaution watch in afternoon if you go this week. 70’s will feel so nice.

I’m over this hot weather.