PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River Update

cdevine
08-11-2018, 08:33 AM
The smoked filled skies of Norcal seems to be the theme these days. Some days better than others. Certainly not bad enough to keep you off the water though. Still warm to hot afternoons but a little cooler in the morning and a slight cool down expected over the next few days which will feel great.

The big T is still fishing well in the morning. Sunrise to about 11am. Water temps seem to have peaked at least in the canyon about 2 weeks ago though. I've been taking readings each outings. The picture I show is from the inflow of a cool tributary in the canyon and it was 11C at 7am. (52 degrees). The main body in the canyon was 59 degrees in am and 65 when I got off water at around 1130. As you get near Reno the river is probably approaching 70 at noon and up near the town of Truckee. Too hot to fish so enjoy a cold beverage.

Flows are terrific. 550 or so in the canyon which creates so many areas where fish are holding. They are in the fast oxygenated water. Find structure and white bubbles and you will find fish. Lots of 10-14 inch rainbows on the menu right now. You can have some good # days. I prefer to Czech style these pockets but a dry dropper could be fun as well.

Caddis, Stones, PMD's. Get flies down though. All fish I have been catching are deep...

Landed a 18 inch mountain whitefish which was pretty cool. Never got into one that big. Always a good sign of the health of the river system.

Crowds have been light. Maybe smoke has deterred? Not sure but a lot of river open and she's in fabulous shape.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2018, 08:50 AM
One Truckee River aficionado told me to find riffles that were deep.

Ones that were green and you could not see the bottom.

I guess get up early and fish from 6am till 10am, mostly deep nymping.

Maybe the last 2 hours of evening for a dry fly hatch?

Most use to recommend fishing from the town of Truckee downstream to the NV border.

The reality is that it is close for many and the possibility for large wild trout is there.

It is only about 1.5 hrs from Sacramento.

We use to drive up there after work for the evening dry fly fishing.

Ralph
08-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Many locals are voluntarily observing hoot owl restrictions on the Truckee right now due to warm water and its resultant stress on trout. They fish until noon and then find something else to do (or cooler water to fish) for the rest of the day. Last year there were some ugly altercations between hoot-owl observers and people who figured their enjoyment was more important than the health of the fishery. I wish California Fish and Wildlife would grow some balls, follow the lead of pro active states like Montana, and institute automatic hoot owl protection so it wouldn't end up in fights between user groups. Plus they might save a few trout that would otherwise provide great sport when the water cools.

cdevine
08-11-2018, 10:13 AM
I only fish from sunrise to 11ish these days. Water temps jump up in afternoon and fishing sucks anyway during that time. Plus I have to work. But you could make case from floriston to past farad there is less risk of fish kill due to water temps right now with 550 plus cfs and cooler temps. What makes me more pissed is people fishing with 6x and playing fish to death. That will kill fish.I certainly wouldn’t get into anybody’s face about fishing today on the truckee. 3-4 years ago if you were fishing you should be banned now. Totally different story.

No way is fish and wildlife going to do that. Hell they didn’t do that in the drought. Close the little T in the winter. That is more realistic.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Many locals are voluntarily observing hoot owl restrictions on the Truckee right now due to warm water and its resultant stress on trout. They fish until noon and then find something else to do (or cooler water to fish) for the rest of the day. Last year there were some ugly altercations between hoot-owl observers and people who figured their enjoyment was more important than the health of the fishery. I wish California Fish and Wildlife would grow some balls, follow the lead of pro active states like Montana, and institute automatic hoot owl protection so it wouldn't end up in fights between user groups. Plus they might save a few trout that would otherwise provide great sport when the water cools.

Thanks Ralph, I think this is really good information and we all need to hear it and pass it on.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I only fish from sunrise to 11ish these days. Water temps jump up in afternoon and fishing sucks anyway during that time. Plus I have to work. But you could make case from floriston to past farad there is less risk of fish kill due to water temps right now with 550 plus cfs and cooler temps. What makes me more pissed is people fishing with 6x and playing fish to death. That will kill fish.I certainly wouldn’t get into anybody’s face about fishing today on the truckee. 3-4 years ago if you were fishing you should be banned now. Totally different story.

No way is fish and wildlife going to do that. Hell they didn’t do that in the drought. Close the little T in the winter. That is more realistic.

Great info...thanks for the good heads up.

cdevine
08-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Big T continues to fish well as we near the end of the "dog" days of summer. Can't remember if it was JB or another guide but they gave me advice to carry a thermometer while back. Thank you! Really can't emphasize that enough especially on the T. Water temps shouldn't be an issue from here on out. 70's return to the mtns next week with overnight lows in the 38-40 range.

Its been mainly a crayfish and big stone game at least for me. Haven't seen as many PMD's coming off. I've been getting into some bigger fish lately. Mid summer was mainly the 10-12 inch guys. No complaints though . The health of river is awesome. This one topped out around 18.

BTW, really nice work on the MTN bike trail as you get into the canyon. Those guys have been busting butt all summer.

Tight lines! Hope to run into you on the water.14316

EricO
08-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Whoa, that's a nice fish, CD!! The anal fin looks massive.

What rod do you typically fish on the Big T....6 wt? I used to fish a 5 wt, but
going forward, now that I have a 6wt in my arsenal I'll be using that...in case
I encounter a fish like yours.

Eric

cdevine
08-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Whoa, that's a nice fish, CD!! The anal fin looks massive.

What rod do you typically fish on the Big T....6 wt? I used to fish a 5 wt, but
going forward, now that I have a 6wt in my arsenal I'll be using that...in case
I encounter a fish like yours.

Eric

Thanks Eric. Been catching a lot of little guys this summer which is fine by me. Any tug on the rod and I'm cool. But I carry 2 rods almost always on the T. One is a 10ft 4wt ESN Sage. This is my high stick rod. The other is a 10ft 5WT Sage X. for the Bobber. In the Fall I will bring a 6wt Streamer rod out for hopefully a big brown. I don't fish dries often on the T. When I do its usually a dry dropper type with a big foamy.
I've bee fishing heavy tippet lately. 3x and 4x. That has helped me land some fish I think.

River is in great shape. Been a good recovery from the drought days of 2012-15.

EricO
08-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Very cool CD. I'm jonesin to get over to the Nevada side this Fall as I've heard
it's come back quite well...not the big boys on the Cal side, but would be fun to
see new water.

I forgot, I also have a 4wt, 10'6" Cortland rod for high sticking...it has some great
backbone and a fighting butt, which helps a ton. I need to start carrying two rods,
but then there's the whole, "Dude where's my other rod?" issue.

I agree, I almost always fish 3x now on the Truckee...gotta be able to turn a big
boy without snappage.

Eric

cdevine
08-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Erico-

I will def get over to NV side in Fall/Winter. I've heard the same thing. That is the wonderful thing about the T. So many miles of water! Explore! You can really have much of the river yourself.

You don't know how many times I've almost "lost" that 2nd rod. Somebody one of these days is going to get a nice present. ITs amazing how much you lose yourself in a river.

I've always heard for the price point those Cortland rods are good. Never tried one.

Good luck out there!

yubaman
08-21-2018, 04:16 PM
I started fishing the Nevada side, down by Verdi and Mogul last year. There are some nice fish down there, as well as a bit lower. Streamers can bang down there on some nice browns. I plan on spending more time there. Plus, nothing beats stopping in the Sasquatch after a day of fishing and knocking down a couple of cold ones. It's in Verdi. Go in the front door, and the 10' tall Sasquatch is there to greet you.

EricO
08-22-2018, 07:59 AM
Hey CD,

Love fishing new water.

I found this little rod holder awhile back. Clips right on your belt.

Very convenient midstream when you lose a rig, not having to juggle your rod
between your legs while retying, or you could stick your other rod in it.
But you have to be careful with the angle of your rod because it can dip
in the holder and bust the tip off when hiking.

Ya, the Cortland is great.. I bought it several years ago for $220...now they run $250.
Very soft tip, so perfect for detecting subtle takes, probably like your Sage ESN.

Man I'm pumped to fish the Nevada side now!

Eric

EricO
08-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the tip Yubaman! Looking for to meeting the Yeti.

Eric

cdevine
09-19-2018, 12:18 PM
UPDATE:
I've been exploring new sections of the river both in CA & NV. Everything though east of Boca because flows above are very thin right now. Water temps aren't a problem so go out and spend the entire day on the water. Its really a great time of the year. Bring some layers though because AM temps are getting chilly.
Flows toward state line are between 475-500CFS. Water is crystal clear.
Baetis nymphs were prevalent during my time on the water. Size 16-18. Smaller seemed to do trick.
Fish were holding in faster water beefing up for the winter ahead.
Here is a quality rainbow I landed from the other day. A lot of fun with a 10ft 4wt.

yubaman
09-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Man, a Truckee beauty!!!!!!!!!!!

cdevine
09-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Thx yubaman. I've had some better than "normal" outings lately. I think part of it is just exploring new water. I was getting into the old habit of hitting the same spots. Needed to get out of my comfort zone.

yubaman
09-19-2018, 06:35 PM
I found myself falling into the same zone. I finally starting hitting some new water last year. Nevada side as well, Middle Fork of the Yuba below Jackson Meadows and a few others. It was a good change of scenery.

EricO
09-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Now that's a thick one. Nice job CD...I bet that was fun on the 4 wt!

Eric

cdevine
09-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Now that's a thick one. Nice job CD...I bet that was fun on the 4 wt!

Eric

Hey thx Erico. Been much more of a rainbow game for me lately on the T. Hopefully get some clouds/rain in the fall to get a little color in the water to throw some meat for those browns.

EricO
09-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Ya, that's one thing I need to remind myself on the Truckee...throwing streamers or sculpins
to entice a hungry brown.