PDA

View Full Version : Cal Trout on Hat Creek

tcorfey
08-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Nice Film about Hat Creek restoration efforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QofGI6Z64I&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=California+Trout+List&utm_campaign=75802c819f-Hat+Creek+email+%231&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cf2a51cf18-75802c819f-300273953

Regards,

Tim C.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Everyone watch this if you love trout fishing.

We fished it a lot in the 1970s.

It was much deeper then. You edge waded it then because it was deep.

It was a great fishery but still very hard for most.

May/June and October are some good times.

Bob Quigley was one of the best anglers up there.

Dick May use to love to fish Hat Creek.

Dick Galland was the Mayor of Hat Creek.

Hal Janssen was a legend up there.

Young hot shot fly fishers think they are inventing fly fishing today.

Everyone drove north to fly fish trout in the 1970s.

Pupa
08-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Bill, I'm 48 and I'm pretty sure I invented fly fishing in Pennsylvania. It was the 70's.

cyama
08-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Mikey Weir has produced some great videos of fly fishing!! Hat Creek has been fishing well in the Spring and Fall for the last few years. Often frustrating when fishing only dries, but none the less if you get desperate put on a HBI and a size 24 midge and you will out fish everyone. The yellow sally hatch is the best during late spring early summer.. Oh don't forget to bring a bunch of Quigley cripples in various colors and sizes. Thanks Cal Trout

Bob Loblaw
08-08-2018, 07:11 PM
I love fishing Hat Creek. I fish the riffle in the morning and then walk downstream for a good dose of humility.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Bill, I'm 48 and I'm pretty sure I invented fly fishing in Pennsylvania. It was the 70's.

"I love you man......."

tcorfey
08-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Maybe this has been heard before but when I was up on Hat Creek earlier this year there was something like 15 fly fishers standing in line in the PH2 riffle all indicator nymphing.

One guy in the parking lot was commenting on the bugs he was seeing when another piped up saying "Well I can see there is a serious bobber hatch going on". :cool:

cyama
08-08-2018, 09:57 PM
The great thing about Hat Creek is that there is much more to the creek than PH2. It is similar to Putah Creek. Walk and figure it out or at least get the $2 map from The Fly Shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Fishing on top in the flat water can be brutal.......but so cool.

Mel Jeffs, Larry Kelly and I were up there on opening weekend in the 1970s.

It rained, hailed and then the sun came out.

Every bug in that creek was hatching.

It was a sight to see.

Everyone edge waded it in those days because it was deep.

We were caught some hot wild Rainbow trout on top....very cool.

We were near the Carbon Bridge and Dick May was above us.

He was fishing a small split can rod, Hardy reel and a dark floating snail pattern he was working on.

It was working for him.....

tcorfey
08-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Bill, just this past May I was fishing in the rain/hail/sun near the new Carbon Bridge. Still catching rainbows on top with a BWO pattern. Some things don't change....

Regards,

Tim C.