PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies in California?

Idadon
08-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Sorry but I got a pretty good giggle out of this. Just read an article in our local Idaho Falls paper about a plan to re-interduce Grizzlies to the Northern Cascades in Washington. Seems that they were part of the picture back in the 1800's and farther back

I was wondering if the subject has come up in California? As I recall CA had a rather large population back in the early days, so large in fact that it's on the state flag.

Just a thought, relocating a couple to the banks of the AR there in town might help solve the homeless problem. Might make bank fishing somewhat of a risky proposition though.

Something to think about!

Tony Buzolich
08-02-2018, 08:34 AM
:) That's a great thought. Not just the AR. Got me to giggle too.
Tony

Larry S
08-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Here's a link to a 2014 story.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-adv-california-grizzly-20140803-story.html

Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Rossflyguy
08-02-2018, 08:48 AM
It’d give us CA residents a better shot at getting CC permits.

John H
08-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Having a place in California wild enough for Grizzlies to live would really be something but with 40 million people in this state it is not likely to happen. Maybe we could buy all the ag land in the San Joaquin Valley which would allow us leave the water in the rivers thereby saving the salmon, stop the pumping which would save the Delta and convert the restored San Joaquin valley Riparian areas into Grizzly lands. Sounds good but probably a little ambitious.

Sheepdog8404
08-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Sorry but I got a pretty good giggle out of this. Just read an article in our local Idaho Falls paper about a plan to re-interduce Grizzlies to the Northern Cascades in Washington. Seems that they were part of the picture back in the 1800's and farther back

I was wondering if the subject has come up in California? As I recall CA had a rather large population back in the early days, so large in fact that it's on the state flag.

Just a thought, relocating a couple to the banks of the AR there in town might help solve the homeless problem. Might make bank fishing somewhat of a risky proposition though.

Something to think about!

Genius idea!!!

Bob Loblaw
08-02-2018, 01:55 PM
I got a good laugh reading the Chronicle this morning where the valley almond farmers were griping about Trump's trade war with China and that they weren't going to get any of the $12BN in taxpayer bailout for farmers impacted by the tariffs. They were complaining that they export hundreds of millions of dollars worth of nuts to China and that they should be first in line for federal aid.

Wait what? they are growing almonds to export to China???? I guess the next time they say they need more water "because they grow food and food is important!" we should ask them who exactly they are growing it for?

We laugh at the Chinese as they pillage and pollute their country to make i-phones and all sorts of cheap plastic crapola for us...but we are destroying our rivers so they can have almond chicken! the joke is on us.

goby
08-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Having a place in California wild enough for Grizzlies to live would really be something...

Dude, come to Trinity County. Grizzlies would be fine here. We have 6 people per square mile.

Rossflyguy
08-02-2018, 05:06 PM
I got a good laugh reading the Chronicle this morning where the valley almond farmers were griping about Trump's trade war with China and that they weren't going to get any of the $12BN in taxpayer bailout for farmers impacted by the tariffs. They were complaining that they export hundreds of millions of dollars worth of nuts to China and that they should be first in line for federal aid.

Wait what? they are growing almonds to export to China???? I guess the next time they say they need more water "because they grow food and food is important!" we should ask them who exactly they are growing it for?

We laugh at the Chinese as they pillage and pollute their country to make i-phones and all sorts of cheap plastic crapola for us...but we are destroying our rivers so they can have almond chicken! the joke is on us.

Agreed 100%

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Back packing would never be the same........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2018, 07:12 PM
The Grizzly man.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWA7GtDmNFU

Idadon
08-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Yup! There's some things that are best left alone. I had a big grizzly pace me from across the Madison by Slide Inn one day in April. I'm sure if he really wanted to he could of crossed over and caught me before I could of got to my truck. Just seemed curious as to what I was doing. Fortunately it wasn't a female with cubs!

John H
08-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Backpacking would still be doable but you would need to keep your eyes open. I have backpacked in Yellowstone and have not seen a grizzly but did have our camp on Slough Creek destroyed by one while we were out fishing and hiking. We packed up what was left of our stuff and hiked out. All the food was hung and untouched but the tents and everything in them was wrecked. One guy was reading Seabiscuit and there was a canine tooth hole almost all the way through it. That was not the only camp that bear had jumped and it was later relocated. I assume he did not like humans in his territory.

bigfly
08-03-2018, 10:07 AM
What humans, and the planet need most....is a good alpha predator..........we would be more fit...and humble.

Jim

Randy Lee
08-03-2018, 11:04 AM
They have goats along the American river cleaning up vegetation, I imagine a Grizz would work wonders on the homeless encampments.
Randy

aaron
08-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Grizzly bears are scary and kill thousands of people a year, best to avoid ID/WY/MT.

winxp_man
08-04-2018, 12:33 AM
One of my personal bear encounters in Alaska.....

https://instagram.com/p/BYr8C4bBPmw/

Carl Blackledge
08-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Grizzly bears are scary and kill thousands of people a year, best to avoid ID/WY/MT.

I doubt if Grizzly bears kill more then one person per year. Would you mind stating your sourse?

Carl Blackledge

Darian
08-04-2018, 09:41 AM
"Grizzly bears are scary and kill thousands of people a year, best to avoid ID/WY/MT."

Good one Aaron.... :D :D

Fly Guy Dave
08-04-2018, 09:44 AM
I doubt if Grizzly bears kill more then one person per year. Would you mind stating your sourse?

Carl Blackledge

I'm sure it's pure hyperbole. When I used to surf around the San Francisco/Santa Cruz area, we often perpetuated the myth that tons of surfers we killed every year by sharks. We did it to keep the surfers from down south from overcrowding "our" water. Sounds like the same tactic to me. :)

JayDubP
08-04-2018, 10:07 AM
A bear disrupts film crew in BC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MhhxqAnie4

Jake O
08-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Obviously the thousands remark was tongue and cheek. However, fatal bear attacks happen a couple times a year on average. Candidly, I was shocked to read how many fatal black bear attacks there have been. I have had numerous black bear encounters as nave many others in ca and the vast majority of the time they spook and run away while the other time they just are curious and don’t seem to care. I have never seen one act even remotely aggressive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

aaron
08-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Carl Blackledge

I read it on the internet, in the same article it talked about how wolves are killing more and more visitors to the North Rockies annually and it also shed light on how aptly named Cutthroat are, people don't realize just how dangerous those little critters are.

Carl Blackledge
08-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Just another victim of fake news, I guess

Scott V
08-06-2018, 02:23 PM
On average in America, 2 - 5 people are killed yearly by bear attacks.

EricO
08-06-2018, 04:13 PM
On average in America, 2 - 5 people are killed yearly by bear attacks.

And that goes high on my list of ways I DO NOT want to go.

Bob Loblaw
08-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Our Education Secretary Betsy DeVos says we need to arm teachers because of the proliferation of grizzly bear attacks in schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xBGq3bvcQ

Scott V
08-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Our Education Secretary Betsy DeVos says we need to arm teachers because of the proliferation of grizzly bear attacks in schools.

That must happen only in private schools only, because she doesn't know squat about public schools.

Bob Loblaw
08-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Well her boss says we need to stop diverting our rivers to the Pacific Ocean so we can use the water to put out wildfires, so "not knowing squat" seems to be pervasive.

aaron
08-07-2018, 08:05 PM

We got a good laugh out of that in these parts.

tcorfey
08-07-2018, 09:21 PM
2005 CDC report average
# OF DEATHS IN THE UNITED STATES PER YEAR

Cause of death ………………… # dead
Cardiovascular disease …….. 856,030
Transportation accidents …. 48,441
Drowning ……………………….. 3,582
Hypothermia ……………………699
West Nile virus ……………….. 119
Hornet/bee/wasp stings ….. 48.5
Snake bites …………………….. 5.2
Bear attacks …………….. 2

National Park Service
Type of Recreational Activity: Risk of Grizzly Bear Attack
If you remain in developed areas, roadsides, and boardwalks: 1 in 25.1 million visits
Camp in roadside campgrounds: 1 in 22.8 million overnight stays
Camp in the backcountry: 1 in 1.4 million overnight stays
Travel in the backcountry: 1 in 232,000 person travel days
All park activities combined: 1 in 2.7 million visits

Regards,

Tim C.

KSB209
08-17-2018, 08:48 AM
With that info I assume CA will start regulating cardiovascular health very soon like they do guns. I mean if we can save just 1 life I think we should just make sure our kids cannot “get” a cardiovascular disease and if you by gosh give someone a Twinkie you should be held accountable!!!!

winxp_man
08-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Just stumbled into these articles.

https://goldenstate.is/behind-the-effort-to-bring-the-grizzly-bear-back-to-california/

https://psmag.com/magazine/how-to-bring-back-a-bear-reintroducing-grizzlies-to-california

OceanSunfish
08-18-2018, 12:15 AM

Well said.....

OceanSunfish
08-18-2018, 12:32 AM
Anybody see the PBS version of "Night of the Grizzlies"? Obviously, human error. Still, watch it late at night when it's quiet and similar conditions that the campers faced...... Real life horror.

John Sv
08-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Just stumbled into these articles.

https://goldenstate.is/behind-the-effort-to-bring-the-grizzly-bear-back-to-california/

https://psmag.com/magazine/how-to-bring-back-a-bear-reintroducing-grizzlies-to-california

Thanks for digging these up-interesting reads.

k9mark
08-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Yes! Best to stay away from these states!

JCam
08-20-2018, 05:22 AM
If we are going to import some grizzles can we put a few dozen in the Capital.

EricO
08-20-2018, 07:48 AM
If we are going to import some grizzles can we put a few dozen in the Capital.

LOL! Nice.

hwchubb
08-20-2018, 10:28 AM
If someone is starting a petition to reintroduce them to the Lower Parkway, I’m in!