PDA

View Full Version : Floating lower sac info

Rossflyguy
07-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Gonna be taking my new drift boat up to the lower Sac for the first time in a couple weeks. Gonna float above the Sun Dial bridge since it opens a few days before we arrive. Anyone have any recommendations on patterns this time of year? Also, any locations for launch and take outs?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Check with the guys at The Fly Shop?

goby
07-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Check with the Fly Shop. Caddis are incredibly important on the Lower Sac.

Jake O
07-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Tan caddis pupas and spear guns

dude02
07-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Posse Grounds, Park Marina (next to Aqua Golf), Bonnyview, Anderson River Park, Balls Ferry, Gravel Bar (primitive), Jellys Ferry (primitive), and Bend Bridge are the put-in/take out spots through the Bend area. The first three are in Redding. There is another launch at Caldwell Park above Posse Grounds, but the ACID diversion blocks downstream floating. You need a motor to go upstream from there. The Fly Shop has a map and can set you up.

Here is a link to flows out of Keswick. Pay attention to this each time you go. There are some spots that are passable in high flows and no go zones at lower flows. Not many, but a few.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/dynamicapp/QueryF?s=kes

Birds nest, cinnamon pupa, midges in mornings, and small mayfly patterns for nymphing. Dry fly bite happens fairly consistently in summer last hour of light, some spots/nights better than others.

The guys at The Fly Shop can help with shuttles if needed.

Edit:

For the Sun Dial Bridge run, you will put in at Posse and go to Park Marina (short float) or Bonnyview (more typical float). Just floating (no fishing or pushing downstream), Posse to Bonny is 2 hours or so.

Rossflyguy
07-25-2018, 11:29 AM
Posse Grounds, Park Marina (next to Aqua Golf), Bonnyview, Anderson River Park, Balls Ferry, Gravel Bar (primitive), Jellys Ferry (primitive), and Bend Bridge are the put-in/take out spots through the Bend area. The first three are in Redding. There is another launch at Caldwell Park above Posse Grounds, but the ACID diversion blocks downstream floating. You need a motor to go upstream from there. The Fly Shop has a map and can set you up.

Here is a link to flows out of Keswick. Pay attention to this each time you go. There are some spots that are passable in high flows and no go zones at lower flows. Not many, but a few.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/dynamicapp/QueryF?s=kes

Birds nest, cinnamon pupa, midges in mornings, and small mayfly patterns for nymphing. Dry fly bite happens fairly consistently in summer last hour of light, some spots/nights better than others.

The guys at The Fly Shop can help with shuttles if needed.

Edit:

For the Sun Dial Bridge run, you will put in at Posse and go to Park Marina (short float) or Bonnyview (more typical float). Just floating (no fishing or pushing downstream), Posse to Bonny is 2 hours or so.

Thanks!! The info I needed. I’ll hit up the fly ship on the way up. Gonna need to load up in patterns either way.

JayDubP
07-25-2018, 05:44 PM
link to interactive map of Sacramento River access and fishing points.

https://www.sacramentoriver.org/access_site.php?activities=Fishing

Look forward to a post of your success.

Jim

Rossflyguy
07-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Watching this fire there maybe no lower sac float. Hopefully they contain it by next weekend.

dude02
07-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Containment is up to 20%, but this will burn for a while. The smoke this morning downtown is horrible, quite literally sickening. I would stay away at this point.

ricards
07-31-2018, 09:35 AM
Containment is up to 20%, but this will burn for a while. The smoke this morning downtown is horrible, quite literally sickening. I would stay away at this point.

To make matters worse, we're getting smoke from other wildfires in northern California.

Rossflyguy
07-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Seems the fire is moving away from Redding. I’ll be making my trip up that way Saturday. Unless the fire gets pushed back around Redding.

ricards
07-31-2018, 05:00 PM
Seems the fire is moving away from Redding. I’ll be making my trip up that way Saturday. Unless the fire gets pushed back around Redding.

I sent you a PM.

Grounded
08-01-2018, 08:02 AM

I'll be heading up Friday morning to meet a buddy with a boat. We'll be floating Saturday too. Looks to be boats on the water this morning, but still heavy smoke. Bring your N95 masks...

Rossflyguy
08-01-2018, 01:34 PM
I'll be heading up Friday morning to meet a buddy with a boat. We'll be floating Saturday too. Looks to be boats on the water this morning, but still heavy smoke. Bring your N95 masks...

Seen reports of salmon being caught on the the section just opened. Steak and eggs combo time.