PDA

View Full Version : Mike Dunbar of the Modesto Bee - Editorials - Just Exactly What is he Advocating for?

OceanSunfish
07-18-2018, 11:14 AM
For some reason my post was deleted and I do not have the time to recreate. Perhaps at another time.

OceanSunfish
07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
For some reason my post was deleted and I do not have the time to recreate. Perhaps at another time.

https://www.modbee.com/latest-news/article214969055.html

Video that Mike Dunbar created....... another unorganized argument.

https://www.modbee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/mike-dunbar/article214472449.html

This editorial was rather interesting as it is another 'eye rolling' moment..... Here are few words......

Mike Dunbar wrote: "Instead, we heard about the sad, sad salmon fishermen. So much hand-wringing over a couple of hundred fishing boats, you’d think it was one of California’s most vital industries. It’s not."

"The entire commercial salmon catch for California has never amounted to more than $25 million, falling far behind crab in value to fishermen. Meanwhile, they’re catching a fish that grows in staggering abundance in Oregon, Washington, Canada and Alaska. The state’s most often quoted scientists say that as the planet warms, salmon can’t survive in California."

Welp...... glad to hear: "they’re catching a fish that grows in staggering abundance in Oregon, Washington, Canada and Alaska" not sure what he cites to substantiate that claim..... Oh, and it appears that he feels that Salmon have no future in California nor was it ever a worthwhile commercial industry..... inferring, why bother? I surmise we do not need to bother "saving them" from "Striped Bass, one of the most voracious feeders anywhere"........

Obviously, there is a lot more to this and I certainly have my reasonable opinion as to what needs to be done to fix the Delta. This is just an FYI to those that have time to read and comment.

Darian
07-18-2018, 03:07 PM
This article is little more than a rant. It seems that he's supporting water diversions by creating distracting comments about the value state of Salmon returns but, who knows???:confused:

OceanSunfish
07-19-2018, 12:20 AM
This article is little more than a rant. It seems that he's supporting water diversions by creating distracting comments about the value state of Salmon returns but, who knows???:confused:

Yes, a "rant". Fake-news, yes? ;)

Darian
07-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Not sure if it's fake. I'm thinking that the "water grab" he's talking about is the edict by the SWRCB to require more water to be allowed to flow through the Delta to the sea instead of south to agriculture but it's really hard to be sure....