PDA

View Full Version : West Walker River

KSB209
07-03-2018, 04:22 PM
I am planning a trip at the end of July and need some help because I have never fished that river. I know the part in CA below (to the south) of Topaz Lake is barbless and artificial which would be good for me and my fly rod but a couple guys coming with me would rather fish the Nevada section (north side of Topaz) with no hook restrictions and allows bait. So my question is how accessible is the water on the NV side? I heard it is surrounded by private land and difficult to get to the river if you don’t know your way around. Just looking for any info on how to get to the river. Might try the CA side to with my flyrod so any tips or tricks would be appreciated also.

Planning on spending a day at the West Carson and floating around Red Lake in my blow up pontoon too. Figured nymphs on the Carson and maybe dragging some wolly buggers or leeches at Red Lake would be the trick there

BS
07-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Planning on spending a day at the West Carson and floating around Red Lake in my blow up pontoon too. Figured nymphs on the Carson and maybe dragging some wolly buggers or leeches at Red Lake would be the trick there

Just a little tid-bit for you regarding Red Lake that may be helpful.

I fished ICR (outside of Markleeville) a few weeks ago (VERY SLOW for everyone) and overheard a group of guys on the water talking about how much algae (bloom) was already in Red Lake.
Mind you this is second hand information that I overheard and not my first hand observation................

If I were you, I'd make a phone call or two to see if Red is experiencing the "Algae Bloom".
There's nothing worse than arriving at a destination and then having to come up with a "plan B" at a moments notice !!!!

Good luck and let us know where and how you did.

Bob

KSB209
07-04-2018, 09:54 AM
I agree and forgot that Red gets that algae bloom in the summers. I always try and have plan a, b, and c when I leave for a weekend fishing trip. Was thinking about the Truckee too but that is a little road trip coming from Minden, NV which is going to be based camp for a few days.

Morgan
07-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Go try out Caples lake or Silver lake, a tad past Red lake. Much prettier area and a way better chance at catching fish for everyone.

Dick
07-04-2018, 02:00 PM
The West Walker River through the canyon and up Hwy 108 is not barbless and restricted during the regular trout season. The barbless regs take effect after the regular season closes on Oct 15th thru the next year opener. The river was just planted with trout to 6+lbs. The community of Walker has the "How big is big?" contest going during the month of July. The water flow is getting good now.

KSB209
07-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the intel guys. I’ll report back after the trip at the end of the month

KSB209
07-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Well packing up and heading out on Wednesday. Any tips on where I should park along the river? Planning on fishing to part of the river south of Topaz Lake and around Hwy 108.

Dick
07-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Rainbows to 6+ lbs planted yesterday at the Hwy 395 bridge at the south end of the canyon. You will have a lot of company. Try upstream where the Little Walker enters the West. Just a short walk from the bridge.

Skies are smokey around here and more thundershowers are predicted for the day.

KSB209
08-07-2018, 08:33 PM
A week after I got back but I wanted to share. My fly fishing skills are probably to blame for the lack of fish on the fly so I switched to conventional gear and drifted worms. My guesss was 60-70 trout in 2 days for 2 guys drifting worms. I know this is a fly fishing forum but hey.... the walker was on fire a week ago. Just need to hone in my casting and fly skills for the trip next year

Morgan
08-10-2018, 06:31 PM
A week after I got back but I wanted to share. My fly fishing skills are probably to blame for the lack of fish on the fly so I switched to conventional gear and drifted worms. My guesss was 60-70 trout in 2 days for 2 guys drifting worms. I know this is a fly fishing forum but hey.... the walker was on fire a week ago. Just need to hone in my casting and fly skills for the trip next year

So you guys drifted worms and killed a bunch of trout.
Not cool.

JasonB
08-11-2018, 07:49 AM

Thanks for sharing the report, sounds like you guys got into a lot of action alright. It sounds like you are a bit new to fishing, so your enthusiasm is understood, but you should be aware that fishing with worms has a much higher mortality rate so it’s not really ideal for catch and release fishing. Drifting worms is one thing if you are looking for a couple of trout for dinner while out camping, but Catching and releasing a whole pile of trout on worms really isn’t cool at all. Not meaning a personal slam, but hopefully the next time you’re really getting that kind of action you might switch to a less lethal and more sustainable form of angling.

JB

cdevine
08-11-2018, 08:43 AM
From Fly fishing too worms is like going from Tobacco to Heroin. But I have kids and they've all started that way but now have progressed to C&R, fly fishing , and some conventional lures when bass fishing etc.

As a suggestion tie on a wooly bugger on the West Walker or drift a SJ/egg pattern . Trust me you will catch fish. They plant it pretty heavy now and you will catch fish. Keep at it. You will have some tough days but in the end things will work out.

OceanSunfish
08-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing the report, sounds like you guys got into a lot of action alright. It sounds like you are a bit new to fishing, so your enthusiasm is understood, but you should be aware that fishing with worms has a much higher mortality rate so it’s not really ideal for catch and release fishing. Drifting worms is one thing if you are looking for a couple of trout for dinner while out camping, but Catching and releasing a whole pile of trout on worms really isn’t cool at all. Not meaning a personal slam, but hopefully the next time you’re really getting that kind of action you might switch to a less lethal and more sustainable form of angling.

JB

I think many things come into play with regards to a trout's mortality rate in conjunction with fishing with the "garden hackle". The bottom line is whether or not the trout can inhale the bait as they do with eggs or chemically treated baits that stimulate appetite. A good size redworm or crawler threaded on a hook presented in moving water might be taken very similar to how they would take a Woolly Bugger or leech pattern. Angler skill is another variable and probably the most significant.

IF my kids are fishing with baits (eggs, worms, crickets, "dough") it is assumed the catch will be taken home and consumed. However, I've noticed as their skills improve, most fish are hooked in the layer of skin around the mouth. Of course, Lake fishing is a whole other ballgame......

Just another point of view.

On another note, I'm pretty sure the angler was aware of the consequences and would have ceased fishing if every fish was 'gut-hooked'........

Dick
08-11-2018, 04:44 PM
The river is planted for a put and take situation. The fish are sterile (triploid). The powers to be are managing the river system for Lahontan Cutthroat throat trout even though they don't/can't seem to survive after plants in the past.
There are a few Brown trout in the river and should (in my view) be handled with care and returned to live another day.

Even with fly caught trout there is some mortality. It would be nice if all anglers would consider the next person who will follow him/her while they enjoy a day in God's creation and a day of fishing. Why do we all need big fish day totals?????

cdevine
08-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Dick, I don't know the WW that well but I've heard a lot of those browns reside in the private land stretch near Coleville. I've never caught one in the canyon section.

Dick
08-12-2018, 12:01 PM
They are few and far between but there are some. During the C&R season I picked up a couple. One about 16". Had one come up for a dry last week but missed it.
The largest percentage of catches are Rainbows and there doesn't seem to be much natural reproduction of any resident RT.

cdevine
08-12-2018, 12:31 PM
They are few and far between but there are some. During the C&R season I picked up a couple. One about 16". Had one come up for a dry last week but missed it.
The largest percentage of catches are Rainbows and there doesn't seem to be much natural reproduction of any resident RT.

Yeah, really bums me out. I've had some good luck with wilds on the Little Walker but that is a trek and off the path. More of a creek. The WW is really just a put and take factory now. Reminds me of the EC which is too bad. Not sure how long you've been fishing it but I heard there was a major flood back in the mid 1990's and it apparently never recovered.

PV_Premier
08-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Here we go...down the wormhole (pardon the pun) :rolleyes:

Dick
08-12-2018, 06:56 PM
January 1997 the highway was washed out in several places along with the Mt. Gate Lodge and cabins. The river has had it ups and downs fishing wise since. DFG has attempted to establish Cutts but they haven't done well.

KSB209
08-13-2018, 08:07 AM
I figured I was going to get hammered on this board when I mentioned worms. Thats why it took a week to respond about my trip. I wasn’t sure if I should and even tell you all I was drifting worms. With that said I have thick skin.....most of the fishing I do when I plan on releasing is with pinched barbs and a little piece of plastic that keeps the worms/bait on. 90% of the fish come off with out me even touching them and swim away just fine. Anyways I hope to become better with the fly rod for next season.

OceanSunfish
08-13-2018, 11:16 AM
I figured I was going to get hammered on this board when I mentioned worms. Thats why it took a week to respond about my trip. I wasn’t sure if I should and even tell you all I was drifting worms. With that said I have thick skin.....most of the fishing I do when I plan on releasing is with pinched barbs and a little piece of plastic that keeps the worms/bait on. 90% of the fish come off with out me even touching them and swim away just fine. Anyways I hope to become better with the fly rod for next season.

Are you using the "Bait Buttons"? Pretty cool little accessory developed by a DDS.

Sorry you had to state your methodologies...... I assumed you knew and practiced best C&R methodologies as possible under the circumstances.

It's great that people get out and fish with rod and reel, any kind of angling rod and reel....... and as long as they haul out what they brought in, i.g., refuse, etc. then all good.

njbeast
08-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Sunfish...thanks...never knew what they were called...use them all the time on the Smith side trolling for steel

PV_Premier
08-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Don’t let the haters get you down too much. If you want to quickly build your confidence with a fly rod, head to any tributary of the American up Hwy 50, or the North Yuba up Hwy 49. Tie on a size 14 parachute Adams, grease it up, and get ready for a lot of action.

KSB209
08-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Yes those bait buttons are pretty cool. Make it easy to fish barbless in almost any situation. So far my skills with a fly rod are probably a 5 out of 10 and I do actually practice at the local parks when I can’t make it to the river. Need to take some classes but work and kids keep me busy a lot especially with all their extra curricular activities. DId manage together out Shad fishing the the AR a few times but let’s be honest you don’t need a lot of skill to catch those critters. Now I know you will catch a lot more with “skill” and knowledge !!!!

OceanSunfish
08-13-2018, 11:05 PM
Yes those bait buttons are pretty cool. Make it easy to fish barbless in almost any situation. So far my skills with a fly rod are probably a 5 out of 10 and I do actually practice at the local parks when I can’t make it to the river. Need to take some classes but work and kids keep me busy a lot especially with all their extra curricular activities. DId manage together out Shad fishing the the AR a few times but let’s be honest you don’t need a lot of skill to catch those critters. Now I know you will catch a lot more with “skill” and knowledge !!!!

Do not sell yourself short on this forum with regards to fly angling skills, etc. I think most have to admit they are "5s" too or thereabouts......

If you are working and nurturing a career, plus being an involved parent supporting your kids, a "5" is pretty darn good! You'll have plenty of time after you paid college tuition and retire. Then, will you have a better mindset and attitude to elevate your fly fishing.