PDA

View Full Version : Anybody run an electric motor on an aluminum skiff?

John Sv
07-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Hi,
Anybody do this?

Thinking of going electric but wondering if there are viable options.

Does a trolling motor get you anywhere?

What about larger HP motors like a torqueedo?

Thanks in advance

tcorfey
07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
I lived on an electric only lake for awhile. Used a 55lb thrust motor with a 12' aluminum v-hull and a 10' aluminum Jon Boat. The lake was about 1.5 miles long and .5 miles wide. Used a group 27 deep-cycle battery and never had a problem. It moves you along about the same as a 3.5 hp gas motor. But if you run it on full power all the time it will wear the battery down fairly quickly. One item to think about is a Group 27 battery weighs about 60lbs and so does the 55lb thrust motor where as a 4hp motor weighs about 60lbs and a 3.5 hp weighs about 45 lbs then a gallon of gas maybe 7lbs. so if weight is an issue the gas motor may weigh less depending on the fuel you need. Electric is nice as it is instant start and very quiet but the new 4-stroke gas engines are pretty quiet too. If you are going back country for multiple days then with an electric you will need some way to recharge it (generator + charger works). Some of the fancier electric motors have autopilot built in to them andremote/keyfob controls and for hands free boating that is a pretty good feature.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2018, 07:26 PM
What size is you aluminum skiff?

There is a bass club that is aluminum Jon boats with only electric motors and they have tournaments too.

http://jbbcnc.com/

John Sv
07-03-2018, 09:18 PM
14' Klamath with a pretty good VEE. For windy lakes like Donner and stampede...
Thanks!

tcorfey
07-03-2018, 10:34 PM
With a 14' Klamath on those lakes I would want at least a 6hp gas engine and much better with max HP to get on plane. The max on that boat is probably 20hp. You could have an electric for slow trolling and keep the gas engine for running in the wind. I personally would look on craigslist to see if there are any good used motors or given it's 4th of July check with some dealers or one of the big box stores for a sale.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2018, 10:46 PM
I would put a Honda or Yamaha 20hp tiller 4 stroke outboard on it so at higher altitude and loaded it would still get up on plane.

A friend had a similar old aluminum boat with an old 15hp 2 stroke on it. I recommended he get a new 20hp 4 stroke.

At the ISE show someone had the Honda 20hp on sale so he bought one. He said he loves his boat now.

He says it is quieter, uses less fuel, doesn't smoke and is faster.

Try to put the gas tank up forward in the middle to the front of the boat for balance.

I would also put a 50# 12 volt bow mounted electric for maneuvering around.

I had had a lot of boats from 8 foot to 17 foot in my lifetime and have been in hundreds of others' boats.

John Sv
07-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Thanks team!
Gas motor is covered already. I was just intrigued by the idea of these new 10 hp equivalent electric motors. They must be so quiet and not smelly to troll with... But I never see or hear them being used so their must be something about them. Plus they are 5 grand!