PDA

View Full Version : Give me some backpacking ideas

Woodman
06-27-2018, 06:23 PM
I'm planning to take my son on a short backpacking trip (one night, 4-5 miles each way) in mid-July. I was thinking of the Grouse Ridge area, but recent posts make it sound like the fishing prospects aren't so hot up there of late. Which is too bad, because that used to be an awesome area years ago.

Anyone have some other thoughts. Within a couple hours of Sacramento would be good. PM me or answer here depending on the sensitivity of your advice.

Thanks for the help.

tcorfey
06-27-2018, 08:20 PM
My son just hiked with his scout troop around Grouse Creek area two weeks ago. I believe they stopped and fished the Yuba and Fordyce Creek. Any way I gave him a Tenkara rod with a braided leader and 5x tippet and tied on a size 16 Parachute Adams. He came back and said, Dad I listened to what you taught me and I figured out where the current was and fished the seams near the foam and caught and released about a dozen trout. So it seems fishing is not too bad up there.

Larry S
06-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Woodman,
Looks like tcorfey gave you some good advice. You might want to give a shout out the member Ed Wahl.
Pretty sure he could give you some ideas.
@tcorfey; Probably made your boy a true disciple of the Tenkara system. Hooked for life!
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Jeff F
06-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Maybe hit the west side of Desolation. There is a good trail along the south side of Loon Lake that goes to Buck Island Lake, Rockbound Lake, and Rubicon Lake. All these lakes fish pretty good for browns, 'bows, and brookies. The trail is 6 miles, but very flat, very easy, and quick.

Another option might be Forni Lake in the same general area. Very mellow 5-mile hike. Forni Lake has some good brook trout fishing. And the western trails of the Desolation get far less traffic than the Tahoe side. The trailhead is east of Union Valley Reservoir at the Tells Creek Equestrian Center by the Van Vleck ranch site. Just google it.

Larry S
06-28-2018, 03:24 PM
tcorfey,
Sent you a PM.
Larry S
Sun Diego

Ed Wahl
06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Hey Woodman, I think Summit City Creek out of Hope Valley would fit the bill. Nice walk in and out, a bit steep coming out but has a nice little waterfall to take a break in at the halfway point. Brookies galore. Absolutely beautiful canyon.
Showers lake off of hwy 89 is about 4 easy miles in and has plenty of nice cutts. I'm going to shoot you another one on a pm.
Ed

tcorfey
06-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Larry, sent you back a PM. Thanks again.

Regards,

Tim C.