PDA

View Full Version : John squires

Jake B
06-24-2018, 09:50 PM
I saw last night Jeff C posted about his raft capsizing in Alaska with 3 aboard. I looked online and all I saw was that there is still one missing as of Thursday and was not wearing a pfd. I do not know those waters but saw in his post it was challenging water. I hope for the best and thoughts and prayers go out I personally do not know John. It really hit me hard when I read it. In passing I’ve said hi and he seemed like a really nice person. Maybe it struck me because we all share the same local waters and have the same passion I don’t know.

Larry S
06-25-2018, 07:23 AM
Jake,
Found this;
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/06/22/sacramento-john-squires-alaska/

==Doesn't look good.
Best.
Larry S
Sun Diego

bigfly
06-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Sad to hear this..........will miss his posts.

Jim

njbeast
06-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Didn't know him but will miss his insight. RIP Mr. Squires

Larry S
06-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Reports seem to suggest that John wasn't wearing a PFD. This could and should be a
teaching moment. Get one and wear one when in "iffy" conditions.
Condolences to John's family and friends. RIP John.
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

cdevine
06-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Really sad to have read this news. RIP.

My brother lived in AK for a few years and I would often visit him. The first time I went he had me read a few articles from the local paper illustrating how many tragic accidents they have each year in the wild, on rivers, or some combination thereof. It was eye opening and gave me a newfound respect for mother nature and moving water.

Bob G
06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Terrible news...I really enjoyed John's insights.

In 1978 I managed Grosvenor Lodge in Katmai, and I guided most days on the American River. I don't know whether or not American Creek and the American River are the same streams...Truly God's Country!

RIP

Fly Right
06-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Really sad to have read this news. RIP.

My brother lived in AK for a few years and I would often visit him. The first time I went he had me read a few articles from the local paper illustrating how many tragic accidents they have each year in the wild, on rivers, or some combination thereof. It was eye opening and gave me a newfound respect for mother nature and moving water.

I had a career in public safety (now retired). Part of my training was swift water rescue. That had a profound effect on the way I think about the power of water. I get teased from time to time although most of it is respectful because I wear a PFD when I wade and I don't even think about getting into my kayak without one on. I also wear one if fishing from a guide boat. It is the inflatable horse collar type that is comfortable in warm weather.
I'm trying not to preach.......do what you want. My $.02 don't rely on luck or ego. Water is bigger than you are.

yubaman
06-25-2018, 03:14 PM
What a tragic event. I enjoyed reading the insight and information in his posts. His info on what he was doing up on Independence Lake was most interesting.

mems
06-25-2018, 07:19 PM
So sad, he was just talking about how he looked forward to this trip. I hope he had fun catching some fish before it all went south. Mems.

tcorfey
06-25-2018, 07:37 PM
That is such a shame, he seemed to be a good man based on his postings. My prayers go out to his family. At least he passed while doing something he loved. I hope when I have to go it is while I am fishing or hunting.

Tim C.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-25-2018, 08:09 PM
John was born in 1946 so I would bet he had a wonderful life......72 years old.

markz
06-26-2018, 12:41 PM
I was sad to hear of John passing, although I didn't know him. I read some of his posts.
I used to do a lot of river guiding, and have been to the Kenai. When I eventually retire, I thought about doing a wilderness rafting trip. I looked up the American Creek, AK on youtube to see what one might expect. One thing I noticed when watching a couple of peoples video is that nobody was wearing lifejackets going down the creek. In one video a cataraft blew out one tube either on a rock or tree. Things happen on the river; so wear your lifejacket even if there is a 99% chance nothing will go wrong.

Larry S
06-26-2018, 01:03 PM
I may be way off base, but, it a state can pass a regulation banning felt wading soles, it would seem that certain
safety regs could/should be enacted and enforced. Big bucks are spent for rescues. As a non-fishing aside,
we surf fish several days each week in the La Jolla Farms - Blacks Beach-Glider Port area. Quite often, cliff
rescues are needed for fools that take needless risks. Fire-life guard rescue teams are there; sometimes with
a helicopter. Last I heard, the city can charge $750 per rescue.
Once again, condolences to John's family and friends. I concur with those that enjoyed and appreciated his
forum posts. RIP!
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Bob Loblaw
06-26-2018, 03:13 PM
72 is too young to go, but if most of us had the choice, chasing fish in a river in Alaska would figure near the top of activities that would merit the phrase "good way to check out".

I had my 11 year old daughter in a boat twice this weekend, Manzanita and the Fall River. She grumbled both times, but even though it was flat calm and seemingly without any danger, she wore a life preserver both times. I have to confess, I did not wear one on the Fall.

Stu B
06-26-2018, 04:18 PM
I fished American Creek yesterday. This is a beautiful, remote spot in Katmai Park. Sadly a few days ago the river was higher and would be tough to navigate in a raft. The raft was still in the river capsized over a log jam. RIP. Be safe out there. Stu

JasonB
06-26-2018, 05:33 PM
This is very sad news, though I hate to count a man out until there’s a bit more certainty. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I might get a chance to meet him yet. Sure seems like one of the good guys, the kind I’d enjoy sharing some water and a story or two with. Safe travels John, wherever they may take you
JB

lee s.
06-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Damn!
....lee s.

TaylerW
06-28-2018, 02:03 PM
When things go wrong, they go wrong so fast!!! I pray he went quickly and his family can find peace in time. 71 years is too young but he passed following his passion!

JayDubP
06-28-2018, 03:20 PM
When things go wrong, they go wrong so fast!!! I pray he went quickly and his family can find peace in time. 71 years is too young but he passed following his passion!

Loved his posts and his joy and all the experience he brought to this board. Hope we all can learn a lesson from someone as experienced and knowledgeable as John. I have been in a fishing kayak incident on the Klamath where I needed a PFD and a separate vehicle accident where I needed a seat belt--- I was sure glad they were there to make the difference. In my 70 plus years, I do not remember many drowning deaths on rivers that started with "the victim was wearing a PDF" ... be safe my friends and next time you want to spend $500 for a new fly rod, put some money in a great PFD instead.

Jim

gwris
07-03-2018, 05:36 PM
I met John when he spoke to our Fly Club about how to plan a trip to Alaska. He was eventually persuaded to take others when he went to Alaska to fly fish rivers each summer. I was lucky enough to go with him once and had planned to go again in the next couple of years. He was not out to make money but simply to share the beauty of Alaska with other people. John made it very affordable. He had a great heart and a good sense of humor. He was also a strong supporter of efforts to stop the Pebble Mine. I will miss him.
Gregg

Larry S
07-03-2018, 06:05 PM
gwris,
Agree. John seemed like that guy that we all wanted to meet and fish with.
Always enjoyed his posts and his descriptions of trips taken. Any word
of his recovery?
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego, Ca

gwris
07-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Larry - Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything more.
Gregg