PDA

View Full Version : Bollibokka Way Station Early July Advice

Pupa
06-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Heading to Way Station at Bollibokka July 4-9 for the first time. I've fished Conservancy many times as well as private water below but never the Bollibokka. Anyone have any advice or stories about this water? I've been told it will be hot and that wet-wading is preferred (with wet/breathable leggings and light long sleeves for sun protection). I've also been told to expect buzzworm activity and loads of poison oak.

Needless to say, we're super excited about the trip and want to be well-prepared in terms of flies/equip. I'm preparing for long days of bobbicating with some dries at morning/evening with perhaps some streamer action. There are some newbies on the trip so we've engaged Chuck from Wildwaters for several days - had a great time with him recently on a steelhead trip in Oregon.

Any advice on favorite flies/methods greatly appreciated!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Maybe some streamers?

Check with Bob Grace @ The Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, CA.

(530) 235-2969

donkeyhunter007
06-24-2018, 10:16 AM
I have 10+ trips to Bolli.

Streamers work. Tug is the drug. I switched to swinging and rarely use the Bobber in that section anymore.
24ft Rio integrated sink tip and a single hand spey cast will cover the river.

Dry fly in the morning and night.

Neoprene leggings is the way to go. I converted nearly my whole group to this strategy. I have to give props to Fred Gordon, I got the idea after watching him in the river with neoprene pants he is half river otter. Long sleeve shirt.

Watch for rattlers!!!

The big pool just below the way station can hold some big fish. My buddy had a 12" thrashing about, then it went limp as we watch the leviathon emerge from the deep!! Biggest fish I have seen charged the fish on the line but at the last second when the fish played dead (went limp) the monster trout turned away and returned to the deep. I grabbed my 7wt and a huge articulated rainbow pattern and tried for days to catch that fish. I did raise the fish from the deep, he chased the streamer a couple times and once smacked it with his tail and flopped around but when I raised up he was never hooked. The leviathan lives under the big dark rock.

HAVE FUN!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-24-2018, 05:04 PM
It was private for decades but now lucky people can book into there through The Fly Shop in Redding, CA.

https://www.theflyshop.com/adventures/bollibokka.html

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9v1HfGkHY

Lots of private water and lodges in California

http://www.kienesflyfishingtravel.com/california

Pupa
06-24-2018, 11:53 PM
donkey thanks for the great story! i remember john rickard explaining that most of his streamer browns on the mccloud came at high noon mid-summer. any particular swing/streamer pattern you would recommend?

Troutsource
07-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Donkeyhunter, doesn't it get hot as hell in neoprenes in mid-summer? Or do you just stay in the water all day long? How do you handle all the stuff in your vest? Do you just say F#&* it?

donkeyhunter007
07-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Waders are already hot as hell. and wet from sweat. I find them hotter than the neoprenes.
The neoprenes are soaking wet so I am cooler hiking between holes. you need gravel guards.
Vest is ok doesnt get anymore wet than with waders. although you dont need a vest if your swinging flies. tippet and flies.
I do have a patagonia waterproof sling that floats and holds a lunch if im gone all day. I can now swim to holes that have not been fished by others.

Last but not least do everyone a favor and and wera a pair of boardshorts over the neoprenes.
It will extend the life of your pants as you scoot around on rocks all day.
also the first time wearng neoprenes I felt like ballerina in tights and nobody wants to look a your junk allday.
the shorts are key.

David A
07-05-2018, 07:33 PM
There's a wise old adage that says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all." Normally, I try to adhere to this rule, but in the case of the "Bollibaka Club" I feel compelled to make any exception. Here's why . . .

The "club's" river-front property is located just a few miles above Lake Shasta. It is the closest private land fronting the McCloud River above the lake. Several years ago, the property was purchased by the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of Southern California.

MWD is a strong advocate of raising the height of Shasta Dam so that more water can be stored in the lake for shipment south. Raising the dam's height will definitely flood several more miles of both the McCloud River and the Upper Sacramento River, including portions of the McCloud where the Bollibaka Club now sits. MWD wants to ensure that no affected "private property" owners on the McCloud object to raising the dam, even though this would flood several miles of the finest wild trout stream in California and destroy a number of sacred Indian burial grounds as well.

Currently, the FlyShoppe in Redding has a lease agreement with MWD whereby they share the large weekly fees of $7,300 for the Rock House and $4,500 for the Way Station. Given these facts, I would never choose to rent the Bollibaka Club facilities. Others may disagree, and I can respect that, but the facts are the facts.

Thanks to all of you for considering this input. David in Sacramento

donkeyhunter007
07-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Large weekly fee?? people pay $6000 to go to a lodge in BC ?? That is per person. Bolli holds groups of 11-12 people it is the best deal in fly fishing.

I am also not sure how renting Bollibokka is contributing to the raising of shasta dam? Would you prefer it sit empty until it is flooded?

The amount of money the water district gets from the fly shop is minuscule in the scheme of things.

You should probably direct your energy/anger towards the family that sold the land to the the water district. sounds like if they would have held on to it then the water district would not be able to raise the dam. I dont think they needed the money.
I believe they made coffee.
Hills Brothers maybe???

I am going as many times as I can until its flooded. I hope it is never flooded. The more people who enjoy the area the more people will raise a fuss when it comes time to raise the dam.

motosacto
07-12-2018, 02:16 PM
I’ve been to Bollibokka 8 times. It is definitely combat wading - smooth basalt rocks - cleats just skate over the top, rubber is slick, and felt “sorta” works. I have seen rattlesnakes on or near the trail every year. Poison oak is all over. In addition to indicate nymphing and dry fles in the evening, I have had good luck with dry droppers - big fish will come up for Chubby Chernobyls. Be sure to try different colors - this year, light nymphs like copper-colored copper johns and flashback birds nests worked better than dark nymphs. I also had fish reject every dry I tried in the evening except very light PMDs.

The politics surrounding Bollibokka are complex. Here is a recent Sac Bee article with some info if you are interested ...https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article209471359.html

Back to fishing — here are a couple of pics from Early June...

Remarkably fast water - wading for risk takers, but holds many fish that will go after a "brontosaurus burger" fly like a Chubby Chernobyl
http://www.westerickson.net/misc/BB2018-09.JPG

My dry dropper rig - Chubby and a Dark Lord prince nymph
http://www.westerickson.net/misc/BB2018-08.JPG

Fish extracted from the water shown above -- 12" class
http://www.westerickson.net/misc/BB2018-07.JPG

John Sv
07-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Not
To
Miss the point and geek out instead, but what rod is that? Looks like an old Fenwick reel seat but the rod does not... thanks

motosacto
07-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Not
To
Miss the point and geek out instead, but what rod is that? Looks like an old Fenwick reel seat but the rod does not... thanks

Scientific Anglers System 5 rod (blank made by Fisher) and a System 5 reel (made by Hardy). Enough backbone for an energetic 20” rainbow but still fun with smaller fish...

gwris
07-14-2018, 11:47 AM
I'm with David. I will not support MWD when their goal seems to be to grab as much water from northern California regardless of the environmental consequences to Nor Cal. They are also trying to destroy the Delta so as to get more water.
And no, I don't support the Fly Shop helping MWD to defray the cost of holding that property. I realize that this is a minor cost for MWD. Perhaps if enough people make a statement with their actions, things will change for the better.
I respect everybody's right to their opinion, this is mine.
Gregg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2018, 01:41 PM
What about splitting California into three states?

Northern California

California

Southern California

If we (Nor Cal) could have the rights to all the water and sell it to the rest of them.

BumpBailey
07-16-2018, 07:43 AM
I'm with David. I will not support MWD when their goal seems to be to grab as much water from northern California regardless of the environmental consequences to Nor Cal. They are also trying to destroy the Delta so as to get more water.
And no, I don't support the Fly Shop helping MWD to defray the cost of holding that property. I realize that this is a minor cost for MWD. Perhaps if enough people make a statement with their actions, things will change for the better.
I respect everybody's right to their opinion, this is mine.
Gregg

I'm with Greg and David on this one. As much as I would love to fish those waters, as long as MWD has any stake in it, I won't. I try not to give them or the Resnicks any of my money.... Plenty of other beautiful places to fish both for pay and free! MWD wants all the water they can get. It is an infinite resource in their eyes... water flowing to the ocean they see as a waste... F the farmers and people that live around the delta, they don't need fresh water... only the people down in the desert that is the Southern California Valley.....

I am all for three states. Unfortunately, it will never happen. Government won't break up the largest economy in our country, let alone one of the largest in the world..... they want to keep raping and pillaging too!

daveiam
07-16-2018, 08:38 AM
A BIG YES TO THAT. Unlikely, but probably the only solution to stealing our water.

Northern California is clearly not able to control the water theft. Not to mention the ongoing environmental damage. Plus the escalating effect on native wildlife, which was started in late 1950's under the current Governor's father (the then sitting Governor, Pat Brown).

How can the current Governor Brown, who stands tall on climate change, allow this to happen. He, whether he likes it or not, is in the back pocket of Southern California water companies.

Northern California

California

Southern California

If we (Nor Cal) could have the rights to all the water and sell it to the rest of them.

OctoberCaddis
07-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Just to get a couple of things straight, folks, just so the ire is properly directed:

- Metropolitan Water District does not own Bollibokka. It's owned by the Westlands Water District from the Central Valley. Booking or not booking the Bollobokka has zero impact on Westlands' bottom line.

- Raising Shasta Dam would not flood "miles" of the Sac and McCloud, it would flood under a mile between the two. On the McCloud about 1500 feet would be inundated when the dam is at full capacity, which would not occur often. That point is well below any of the structures on the Bollobokka, so I don't think it would close in the event of a dam raise. I'm not too familiar with the lowest stretch of the Sac so I'm not sure where the highest water level would reach, but I believe it's less than a half mile from the current high water mark.

- Raising Shasta would create a surprisingly small amount of "new" water, I think somewhere around 120K acre feet when fully filled, which again doesn't happen all that often. Doesn't seem like much for $1.2+ billion.

- No funding has been identified for a raise. Westlands is obviously interested, but are they going to put up $1.2 billion to raise the dam? I don't think they can or would. No federal funds are on the horizon and state law prohibits state funding of anything that inundates any portion of the McCloud.

All in all: not likely to happen in the near term, not catastrophic to either river if it does.

BumpBailey
07-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Just to get a couple of things straight, folks, just so the ire is properly directed:

- Metropolitan Water District does not own Bollibokka. It's owned by the Westlands Water District from the Central Valley. Booking or not booking the Bollobokka has zero impact on Westlands' bottom line.

OC you are correct. Westlands is the Central South Valley siphon and the MWD is the Greater Los Angeles Basin siphon. Westlands is the title holder to Bolliboka. My deserved ire for both was misdirected in this case....

Jay

BS
07-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Northern California

California

Southern California

Hummmm............

I think Stan Statham had that "insite" some 3 decades ago.

Bob

gwris
07-16-2018, 12:38 PM
OC - Thank you for correcting and educating me. Westlands and Resnicks have very poor records when it comes to the environment. Along with MWD they seem to see Nor Cal as a source of water regardless of the environmental consequences. When they have destroyed the Nor Cal environment, where will they turn for water? Why not turn to that now before we damage the environment any more? Of course we know why - it is all about money. My dream is that Californians will stand up and tell these players that enough is enough, now rather than later.
Perhaps raising Shasta isn't all that bad. For me though, it is just one more step in the wrong direction.
Gregg

OctoberCaddis
07-16-2018, 12:40 PM
OC - Thank you for correcting and educating me. Westlands and Resnicks have very poor records when it comes to the environment. Along with MWD they seem to see Nor Cal as a source of water regardless of the environmental consequences. When they have destroyed the Nor Cal environment, where will they turn for water? Why not turn to that now before we damage the environment any more? Of course we know why - it is all about money. My dream is that Californians will stand up and tell these players that enough is enough, now rather than later.
Perhaps raising Shasta isn't all that bad. For me though, it is just one more step in the wrong direction.
Gregg

Hey Gregg, I'm not arguing that it would be a positive development by any means! Just want folks to be informed so if they weigh in with public agencies and what have you the effort is well-aimed.

Troutsource
07-17-2018, 09:19 PM
State of Jefferson.