PDA

View Full Version : Nightime on the American Legality?

Sheepdog8404
06-20-2018, 02:03 AM
I was curious if anyone knows about the legality of being on the lower American in a boat at night. I understand the parkway closes at sunset so leaving a vehicle in the park would be a no go, so a shuttle would be in order. Since there are no nighttime fishing restrictions and since the actual river is state property, not part of the property, I don't see an issue.

I DO fully understand that remaining on the water over night and navigating the river at night is dangerous so there is no need to discuss that here. This is purely to seek out information regarding any laws prohibiting it. Thanks for the help!

bigfly
06-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Not sure.........but, I thought NV. county was the only moving water that is open at night.....
No clue about the legality of boating at night.....I've done enough to know it's sketchy, and fun.

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-20-2018, 02:59 AM
It use to be that above / upstream of Hwy 80 at Cal-Expo was closed to night fishing.

I thought it was to protect salmon from being snagged years ago.

Below Hwy 80 at Cal-Expo was open to 24 hour fishing.

Not sure today what the law is?

* Years ago it was believed that Stripers where only caught on flies in the evening, night and early morning.

30 years ago many only night fly fished for Stripers.

Darian
06-20-2018, 05:08 AM
Sheepdog8404, the current year F & W Regs show:

"3.00. Fishing Hours.

(a) Day Defined: One hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Remaining hours are night.

(b) All fish may be taken day or night, except as follows:

(1) Waters with restricted fishing hours for all species:

(A) American River between Business 80 and Nimbus Dam (Sacramento Co.): Night fishing prohibited"

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Thanks Darian......

Sheepdog8404
06-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info Darian. That’s exactly what I was hoping not to find or hear. Lol