PDA

View Full Version : What Specie Of Fish Is This?

jnesheim
06-13-2018, 05:00 PM
A few weeks ago, I was surprised to land a fish that seemed out of place, on a tributary of the North Fork of the Yuba River, Lavezzola Creek. it is one that looks exactly line the McCloud Redband I caught a few years ago on a tribuary to the McCloud River. Take a look at the photo and let me know what you think.

JOHN

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2018, 05:37 PM
It's a Leopard trout......no I think it is a wild Rainbow trout? Beautiful spots....

Mickey
06-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Lots of nice fish used to be in Lavazolla. I fished it a lot when I worked for the USFS in 1990. Lots and lots of bears and cranky old miners as well.

bigfly
06-14-2018, 09:11 AM
A few weeks ago, I was surprised to land a fish that seemed out of place, on a tributary of the North Fork of the Yuba River, Lavezzola Creek. it is one that looks exactly line the McCloud Redband I caught a few years ago on a tribuary to the McCloud River. Take a look at the photo and let me know what you think.

JOHN

Wild Juvenile Rainbow.......most bows are from the McCloud since 1903....

I don't recommend handling them with gloves though......steals their slime....

Jim

Fly Right
06-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Wild Juvenile Rainbow.......most bows are from the McCloud since 1903....

I don't recommend handling them with gloves though......steals their slime....

Jim

It has the look of a costal cutt as well

Fly Guy Dave
06-16-2018, 06:05 AM
Wild Juvenile Rainbow

X2

It kind of looks like a coastal cutt, but there aren't any cutt marks and the parr marks on a coastal are less prominent. Definitely a wild rainbow.

jnesheim
06-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys, I settle for a wild rainbow as the species. I'm learning and now understand there is a lot of variety in that species. For more, try looking at this for starters -- it's got easy links and photos for various species.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Inland/McCloud-River-Redband-Trout#35755373-angling

JOHN

wineslob
06-24-2018, 09:52 PM
Looks like many of the 'Bows I catch in Butte Creek or the West Branch, even Philbrook Creek....