PDA

View Full Version : Do Any Of You Old Guys

johnsquires
06-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Remember Bel Lange? He had a TV show on Channel 13 called The Outdoorsman. I saw a picture today of someone who looked just like him, so it jogged this memory. My dad worked with Bel at the TV station and they would often go fishing together. We got a lot of free lures and flies passed on to us.
I often wish we had such a show now for our area, something similar to what Tom Stienstra does, only on TV.

Mickey
06-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Wow that's a memory from the past, I had forgotten all about Bel Lange. Google shows he lived to be 88, sounds like he had a good run at life.

The only local show (radio) I know about currently is Bob Simms outdoors 1530am KOVR on Saturday mornings. KOVR also gives hikm a 60 second spot Tue-Fri morning just before 6am.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2018, 07:40 PM
The Outdoorsman TV show with Bel Lange.

40 years ago when I worked at Sports Unlimited on Arden Way we advertised on Bel's TV show.

He was at our store all the time......great guy and a real outdoorsman.

I think Bel and his son, Bel Jr, bought Ewoldt's Rod and Reel Repair.

Bob Simms would love to do a TV show on hunting & fishing.

Tony Buzolich
06-09-2018, 10:17 PM
I used to watch that show when there were only three channels of TV in Sacramento. If you remember Bel had a partner for a while too. Seems like he was a bit older at the time but the two of them would share stories and do fun stuff.

This is going WAY back, but there was another show called the Flying Fisherman or Flying Outdoorsman or something like that. And it was a fishing show too.

This was about the time I started fly fishing the American for shad.

Bill, wasn't Sports Unlimited on Arden across from the old White Front and Thirfty Drug Stores ?
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2018, 06:45 AM
Sports Unlimited was next to Marie Calendar Pies just west of Watt Ave a few blocks.

In the 1970s we had a huge gun business with 3 gunsmiths plus the biggest fly fishing and fly tying in town.

Tony Buzolich
06-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Bill,

That's the place. I used to go in there just to look at everything. There was another old gun shop on Fulton Ave. called Dick's. I think it's now, or was, Von Housen Motors.

We used to go in there and buy all kinds of different odd cartridges one at a time. Even bought a Browning .25 Auto there before I could even drive. No scruples back then. Used to shoot that thing behind Cal-Expo (before there was a Cal-Expo) and even got a bobcat and a coyote with it next to that old black railroad bridge.

Growing up in the good ol' days was fun. Tony

johnsquires
06-10-2018, 09:09 AM
In Lodi we had a place called Stroh's Sporting Goods. Old building, wood floors, and a guy who really knew his stuff. Going in there as a kid was like going to a toy store for me.

Dave E.
06-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Going back decades, there was a Bel Lange's Outdoors store in south Lake Tahoe. Heading from the Y towards stateline it was on the right. A real toy store for outdoors types. Dropped my fair share of play dough there on each pass through the area.

Dave

k.hanley
06-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Say hey Tony,

The show you were thinking of was by Gadabout Gaddis. It sure does bring back big time memories. I loved that show.

You might enjoy this link.....

http://www.gadaboutgaddis.com/

Cheers, Ken

johnsquires
06-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Good memory, Ken. I loved Gadabout Gaddis.

Tony Buzolich
06-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Yep, "The Flying Fisherman" that was it. Gaddabout Gaddis, how could you forget a name like that? Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2018, 05:58 PM
You old farts member the Wild World of Sports and American Sportsman TV show with Curt Goudy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwb-p6TaTys

It was hunting & fishing, but not all fly fishing, with famous celebrities.

Lee Wulff took Curt Goudy to Labrador for dry fly fishing for giant Brook trout.

Thanks to Joe Shirshac I got to go there once to Anne Marie Lodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwK0gYTzRz4

Newer video......at Cooper's Minippi Anne Marie Lodge in Labrador.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d4INm3CjXY

They have a Green Drake hatch there in July.

**This is a historic bucket list trip.

On most week long trips Brookies to 7 pounds are caught....the average is over 5#?........ the area record is 14# on a dry fly.

johnsquires
06-10-2018, 06:26 PM
I remember Curt Gowdy being on American Sportsman several times. I also remember Arnold Schwarzenegger on the same show going into Yellowstone backcountry with Doug Peacock to film grizzlies. Another show I miss.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2018, 06:43 PM
There are a bunch of the old American Sportsman shows on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=american+sortsman

Larry S
06-11-2018, 04:51 AM
One of my favorites was the SpanishFly with Jose Wejebe.
Died at only 54, flying some sort of experimental plane.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Fly Right
06-12-2018, 08:30 AM
I remember watching American Sportsman with Curt Goudy on the family black and white every Sunday afternoon. The second Trader Joes in existance was in the town where I grew up. We used to buy ammo there before going to the shooting range. Times have changed!

johnsquires
06-12-2018, 10:13 AM
One of my favorites was the SpanishFly with Jose Wejebe.
Died at only 54, flying some sort of experimental plane.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Well, that's interesting because John Denver died at age 54 in an experimental plane crash. He loved Alaska and fly fishing. He used to spend time at the Little Mulchatna Lodge. Here is some footage of him fishing on the Alagnak.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-pty-pty_speedtest&hsimp=yhs-pty_speedtest&hspart=pty&p=john+denver+fly+fishing#id=2&vid=53a572c8be9232774f92153b74b9fd15&action=click

Larry S
06-12-2018, 11:59 AM
John,
Well, that does it! I'm not going to fly at age 54.
If memory serves me, Denver's plane crashed
into Monterey Bay.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

johnsquires
06-12-2018, 12:56 PM
To me, the words "experimental" and "plane" have never seemed a good fit.

wineslob
06-24-2018, 10:01 PM
I remember Bel. (damn, I'm "old"???) Another show I watched, but cant remember the name of was a guy that filmed all the shows on 16mm film, almost always had "shore lunch" and finished the show by turning a sign around that said "gone fishing".
I still have my first fly tying book (from Bills shop when it was in Town and Country Village in the 80's) by Jack Dennis, it has a picture of Curt on the back interviewing Jack..............with a tape recorder. :cool: