PDA

View Full Version : Mendo/Russian River?

shaunsquid
06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Heading out to Mendcino area Friday morning from Sacramento, staying the weekend for a "couples" weekend. I know I can weasel in a few hours on the water if its on the way up on Friday morning. I have never fished that area, and won't have the luxury of time to search around forever. Any tips on where I can pull off, set the lady up with a book, and cast a few? ANY tips would be greatly appreciated as, like I said, I have never wet line on the Russian before. I am planning on bringing the 9' 5W, but have others in my quiver if folks deem it better suited. I am not much of an ocean angler.

Rossflyguy
06-07-2018, 02:33 PM
The Russian river has smallmouth in it. Throw out a brown/black bugger.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Either surf fishing or up the Russian river in the Alexander Valley for Smallmouth.

Charlie S
06-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Lived in Ukiah until 4 years ago. The River above Lake Mendocino is regularly planted with trout and has easy access. From Ukiah to Cloverdale it is spotty fishing. From Cloverdale to Healdsburg has good SM Bass fishing but access is spotty. That stretch has some huge Pike Minnows. Have caught them on streamers to 10-12 lbs. From Healdsberg to Guerneville has SM Bass, pike Minnows and Lord knows what else.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-18-2018, 10:38 AM
I just talked to Scott Heemstra who has been working there for 8 years and is the now tackle manager.

He is a serious fly fisherman and had previously guided in Alaska.

Right now he is fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass and probably some Shad in the Russian.

He uses a sink-tip line with a short 4' 8# leader with streamers, bait fish imitations.

He likes olive and black/olive Zonker like flies.

He said a canoe, SUP or kayak is best for the lakey lower river.

They rent SUP and kayaks too.

He mentioned Steehead Beach and the Alexander Valley.

Spring, summer and fall is Smallmouth time.

He is also fly fishing for Surf Perch and Stripers off the beaches all summer.

http://kingsrussianriver.wixsite.com/kingsrussianriver

Scott works Friday through Monday......call him for good fly fishing info.

707/869-2156

They also have a Facebook page.

They are also very active during the winter for
Russian River Steelheading.

Rob Russell Fly Fishing
06-19-2018, 05:15 AM
Hi All,

Looking for info. on the Russian River? I am happy to help. I guide the river all year, for all species present. (Maybe not sturgeon and pikeminnows). Give a call or email with any questions. Rob Russell 707-888-2571, russellrob5@gmail.com OR on Facebook and Instagram @robrussellflyfishing

SST Flies
06-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Lived in Ukiah until 4 years ago. The River above Lake Mendocino is regularly planted with trout and has easy access. Concur...

Big black/brown stones and olive caddis patterns will be the ticket. WATCH FOR SNAKES!