PDA

View Full Version : Sierra flows

joh
06-05-2018, 01:23 AM
How are the smaller streams in the Truckee area flowing right now? I'll be camping with my 4 yo daughter this weekend and am hoping to teach her how to fish streams and hopefully get into some dinkers. As much as I'd love to be knee deep in the Truckee, I'll need to find a more toddler friendly place to try to get her into fish.

I'm also thinking of going up 108 to check out one of the forks of the Stan, so if anyone has any info about flows up that way, I'd appreciate it if you could share.

PV_Premier
06-05-2018, 07:51 AM
How are the smaller streams in the Truckee area flowing right now? I'll be camping with my 4 yo daughter this weekend and am hoping to teach her how to fish streams and hopefully get into some dinkers. As much as I'd love to be knee deep in the Truckee, I'll need to find a more toddler friendly place to try to get her into fish.

I'm also thinking of going up 108 to check out one of the forks of the Stan, so if anyone has any info about flows up that way, I'd appreciate it if you could share.

Flows are fine, water temperatures can be the bigger issue on high elevation streams. I was out a couple weekends ago at 5000' elevation on the west slope and water was still a bit cold for good fishing.

Was at the NF Stan in Arnold last weekend and the water was cold, fishing was not good by my measure. Ditto for Beaver Creek. That said, I am not an expert on that area and probably was approaching it the wrong way as others have been successful from what I've heard.

Double check regs too, some streams do not open until July 1 (eg, those that flow into Tahoe).

Bob Loblaw
06-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Flows are fine, water temperatures can be the bigger issue on high elevation streams. I was out a couple weekends ago at 5000' elevation on the west slope and water was still a bit cold for good fishing.

Was at the NF Stan in Arnold last weekend and the water was cold, fishing was not good by my measure. Ditto for Beaver Creek. That said, I am not an expert on that area and probably was approaching it the wrong way as others have been successful from what I've heard.

Double check regs too, some streams do not open until July 1 (eg, those that flow into Tahoe).

I fished the Stan at Sourgrass on Saturday and the water level was much lower than I expected...looked more like September than June. the fish were looking up and they chewed their way through 3 Purple Hazes before I called it a day. Nothing better than throwing away a fly that was chewed to death! Biggest fish was about 10 inches.

joh
06-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the responses. Due to the cold and windy weather forecasts for this past weekend, ended up skipping the Truckee and camped lower down the mountain in El Dorado NF. Fished some small streams which were flowing perfectly, got lots of dinkers mostly on dries and even kept one for the grill because the little one insisted she wanted to eat one, hehe.