PDA

View Full Version : The most popular size fly rod for trout.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-02-2018, 03:04 PM
For my old friends of the Greatest Generation a split cane fly rod that was 7'6" to 8'6" in #7 line in 2 or 3 pieces was the norm.

For us Baby Boomers it was a tubular hollow fiberglass fly rod that was 7'6" to 8'6" in #6 line size in 2 pieces.

Today the "standard" is a graphite fly rod in 9' for a #5 line in 4 pieces.

What is your favorite size rod for trout?

eastbayed
06-02-2018, 03:19 PM
As a Baby Boomer I loved an 8 and 1/2 foot 5 weight Fenwick glass. It had the best feel of any fly rod I've ever used. Lost it in the Oakland Fire. Now my favorite rod is a 9 and 1/2 foot 4 weight graphite. I seem to lean towards longer rods now for aggressive wading and nymphing.

Sheepdog8404
06-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Bill,

Personally, I think the appropriate sized fly rod for 90% of California's trout would be an 8-8.5' 3wt. That "5wt is the best all around fly rod" thing may be great and all if we were in the Rockies. Most of the places I fish would be pretty boring to fish a 5wt. Wayyyy overgunned for the lion's share of the fish that live in our rivers and streams. Sure there are the exceptions but here lately, I have almost exclusively reached for my 3wt when I head out the door on my way to a trout stream.

John Sv
06-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Bill,

Personally, I think the appropriate sized fly rod for 90% of California's trout would be an 8-8.5' 3wt. That "5wt is the best all around fly rod" thing may be great and all if we were in the Rockies. Most of the places I fish would be pretty boring to fish a 5wt. Wayyyy overgunned for the lion's share of the fish that live in our rivers and streams. Sure there are the exceptions but here lately, I have almost exclusively reached for my 3wt when I head out the door on my way to a trout stream.

Not to be ‘that guy’ but there’s a lot of 5 weight lines that are in the aftma grain weigh of a
6 or 6.5 so maybe things haven’t changed all that much except length? I have a glass
Fenwick 6 That casts with a modern stroke well with a 4 weight line. I use a 7 6 3 weight mostly, 9 5 at for name brand streams and lakes. For me it’s less the size of the fish and more the stuff I’m throwing at them.

John Sv
06-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Oh and how windy it is...

JohnD
06-02-2018, 06:09 PM
5wt for high sticking, 4wt for general purpose.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Bill,

Right on Sheep Dog....

Friends of mine who I highly regard as top veteran fly fishers use much lighter, smaller rods than most.

You can use the lightest rod that will deliver the fly and then you will have something that will protect the tippet strength.

**I think the 9' #5 line in 4 piece is just a good all around starter rod so you can fish for bass, shad and half-pounders too.

bigfly
06-03-2018, 07:55 AM
For many years I carried a 9ft 5wt.....cute fish, dries, and smaller water, then I started fishing the Truckee.
Now, I don't leave home without an 11 ft 6wt switch rod.
Can't understand how I got by all that time with such a short light rod.
Big fish up here don't respect cute rods, the way they do a serious stick.
Just watched a guy with a nostalgic penchant for a 50s era 8'6" glass rod, struggle for 5 months on the T......
He maxed out with a 13ft leader and 4ABs, and was farming large fish.......
He just got his new Dually, and life just got better.
I get tired as a guide watching people work too hard to get the job done.......or just one rod for everything....
If you are sneaky creek fishing, then sport the short rod, but if you come up to fish the bigger water, bring the bigger tool.

Jim

JasonB
06-03-2018, 08:04 AM
I’m with John regarding what constitutes my decision making process. For most trout that I fish for here I really don’t “need” a 5wt or 6wt, but depending on what kind of water I am working, how I am fishing it, and how much wind I will be contending with I often will go for one of my heavier rods. If I am dry fly fishing for trout, and I’m not fighting fierce winds or high water, I almost always grab my 8’ 3wt or my 8’ 4wt.

For streamer fishing or mousing on the other hand ... 6wt every time.
JB

PV_Premier
06-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Can't have just 1, right?

I usually have a time and a place for everything, even the needs of a single river change dramatically over the season.

But I agree with Bill, for those just starting out and wanting a catch all, a 9' #5 is hard to beat.

I tell beginning CA fly fishers to buy two rods. A 9' #6 and an 8' #4 or #3. With those two rods, I feel you can cover 80-90% of situations you will face fairly reasonably, and have some fun doing it.

Full disclosure, I own too many rods...maybe 12 or 15 now? Let's see...three different switch rods, 3 6wts, 2 5wts, 2 4wts, 2 3wts, a 1wt...maybe I missed one in there...

EricO
06-04-2018, 12:40 PM
I agree for places like the Truckee...I've had my rear kicked by a few with my 5wt. Just
not enough rod for those big strong fish. Now I have a 6wt that will be tried first at the T
this year.

I also use a 4 wt, 10.5 ft for the Big T...it has good backbone, a fighting butt, but those
fish deserve a 6wt + IMHO.

I do use a 5wt for places like the Pit because you have to be able to stick it to em if you're
in a run where they can jet downstream. A 4wt suffices, but rather use my 5wt.

Rest of the time I use my Scott 4wt or my Orvis 3wt Hydros.

PV,

You need more rods....12 just isn't enough. ;) I think i'm at 10 now ranging from
2wt to 7wt

Eric

wineslob
06-04-2018, 11:36 PM
I think it entirely depends on the water I'm fishing. Probably the most used rod(s) are my Granger 8642's. They are a "true" 5 wt. and very versatile rods. Plenty of power when you need it and delicate when necessary. That said the most fun rod is a 1925 7.5 ft. Hardy 3 wt. that I think is a Princess model. It is an absolute blast to fish on small streams for small trout.