PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Host

Baja Fly Fisher
05-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Hey group, I'm looking into changing my web site host. I want a DIY web host to where I can make my own changes when I need to. After next year, I will be going back to my old name of Flies Unlimited.
Now it's listed under Flies Unlimited/ Murakoshi's Fly Fishing Adventures.

I'm kinda retiring from doing a lot of trips. After the 2019 season, my Baja trips will be a thing of the past. But I have something or some in the works who might want to take it over, not sure yet. As for me, after 26 years I'm leaving Baja, yep you heard it, leaving Baja. I'll miss it but I will take trips on my own to fish but no more groups. I plan on still doing a few trips to Christmas Island, Belize and hopefully Aitutaki.

Anyway, I got off the subject. I want to design and run my own web site going back to my old days when I started in 1972 of selling flies. When I bought my first iMac, Apple at the time had a program for designing and doing your own web site, then they dropped it. I've heard that there is an Adobe program that will let you DIY.

To all you computer guys out there, it's this a program that you've heard of, is it complicated.

Now that I'm confused, I think it's time to quit talking and get some advise - good or bad

Thanks

Jay

stanbery
05-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Look at https://www.weebly.com/
Free site hosting and web design software.

Jon

Baja Fly Fisher
05-31-2018, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info. All I have to do now is figure out all the technical stuff. Like getting my domain transferred from one company to the new one.

Tony P
05-31-2018, 09:14 PM
Use any host you want & use Wordpress to design your site. Simple to learn, lots of tutorials, & plenty of free templets on the web if you don't want to design your own.

Mr F
06-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Hi Jay,

I use Squarespace. They're not the cheapest but they make it easy--especially the domain name transfer. It took about an hour to create my page.

Hope that helps.

-Max

Baja Fly Fisher
06-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Max,
What's the link to your site. I'd like to look at it.

Tony,
I've read a lot of reviews and quite a few are negative, especially trying to get a hold of them, all emails and no phone calls

Jon,
Have you used weebly

Mr F
06-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Max,

Here you go: www.maxf.ink

FYI The video is hosted on Vimeo.

I think they do a free 30 day trial so you can play around with the templates.

stanbery
06-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Max,

Tony,
I've read a lot of reviews and quite a few are negative, especially trying to get a hold of them, all emails and no phone calls

Jon,
Have you used weebly
Sorry, was in Mammoth for a week so just saw this

Yes I have
https://buzzflyrods.weebly.com/sage-z-axis-9-foot-4-weight.html

Just did not finish setting it all up but it does work.

Pete uses weebly as well with the template that he used it looks really nice
http://www.renaissanceflyrods.com/

Hope this helps
Jon

Gotribe
02-14-2020, 05:16 PM
Wordpress is considered the go-to I think, but it had too much functionality for me. So I went with Wix which is more template driven. But if you’re a computer or design guy you might want to start with
Wordpress.

Lance Gray
02-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Hey group, I'm looking into changing my web site host. I want a DIY web host to where I can make my own changes when I need to. After next year, I will be going back to my old name of Flies Unlimited.
Now it's listed under Flies Unlimited/ Murakoshi's Fly Fishing Adventures.
I'm kinda retiring from doing a lot of trips. After the 2019 season, my baja trips will be a thing of the past. But I have something or some in the works who might want to take it over, not sure yet. As for me, after 26 years I'm leaving Baja, yep you heard it, leaving Baja. I'll miss it but I will take trips on my own to fish but no more groups. I plan on still doing a few trips to Christmas Island, Belize and hopefully Aitutaki.
Anyway, I got off the subject. I want to design and run my own web site going back to my old days when I started in 1972 of selling flies. When I bought my first iMac, Apple at the time had a program for designing and doing your own web site, then they dropped it. I've heard that there is an Adobe program that will let you DIY.
To all you computer guys out there, it's this a program that you've heard of, is it complicated.

Now that I'm confused, I think it's time to quit talking and get some advise - good or bad

Thanks

Jay

Jay,

Check out my site. It's Yahoo. It's easy to do and you can add a store like me. It cost about $40 a month. Not bad.

Take a look.

At the show if you want me to show you it I will. Let me know. I will be there and I am staying at the Double Tree as normal.

Thanks

Jay Murakoshi
02-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Lance,
I'm staying at DT also.
See you there
jay

Gregg Machel
02-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Jay, like others mentioned here, I would go with WordPress. This is what we used on previous kiene.com websites and a slew of others. If you are not technically savvy yourself, get some help to set it up, spend an hour or so training on how to update it, and then you have one of the most powerful and supported platforms available today. Since it is the most popular, there are many plug-ins that exist for just about anything you can imagine doing.

* So do some research on WordPress.
* Look at pre-made templates: These are paid: https://www.templatemonster.com/wordpress-themes.php and there are many free templates available too.
* If needed, get some help to setup
* Once setup, sites are simple to maintain.
* You can set the site to auto-update for security patches.
*WordPress is free, your only expense is your hosting service, most likely around $5-10 a month.

I did Bill's sites for years, another fly shop up in Montana, a handful of guides, and many non fly fishing related sites.
I am a Web Developer for Sutter Health now, and did the same for Intel Corporation for a number of years. Hit me up if you have any questions.

*Edit to add that the current https://kienesflyshop.com/ website is still WordPress, but I did not do this version. When Gary took over, he had his own web folks and I bowed out gracefully and remain on good terms with all parties.

** Another note is that your content is the most important part of a website. You can have the best web developer in the world and without good compelling content, your website will still be bad. You should have a clear idea of what you want your website to do for you and an abundance of pictures and text to support that. A web person can help you organize and present your content.

My 2 cents and some food for thought! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-16-2020, 05:42 PM
Thanks Greg......

*Without Greg there would be no "Bill Kiene's Fly Fishing Form".

Jay Murakoshi
02-17-2020, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll check out Wordpress. All I want is for my new web site to show and advertise the flys I'll be selling. Also, advertising a few of my destination trips to the tropics. I have 1,000's of photo I could add to the topics.
A few years back when Apple had their program for building web sites, it was easy to follow but for me it was a pain in the butt, but over time, I understood what I was doing then they discontinued the program. Then I went to GoDaddy and they really started digging into my pockets.
Thanks again and I will study WordPress. Have you ever played with WIX.

Lew Riffle
02-19-2020, 08:11 AM
Wordpress is my suggestion too. Talk to Al Q. He has used it with success. https://alquattrocchi.wordpress.com/
q

Sallymayorz
06-14-2021, 08:20 AM
I find it useful to be able to transfer your domain. My site was so slow when loading that I was losing money. I mean, it's a shame not to make money out of it. This is the main reason we create a site anyway. I was lucky enough to find an agency to make sure that I had enough organic visitors to my site daily. It's one of the hardest things not to get enough traffic to justify the ads you are looking for. Luckily, I was able to get a web traffic agency (https://www.traffsio.com) that guaranteed me over 10,000 visitors per month without spending too much.

kevins
06-24-2021, 04:23 AM
I think its good task for software developers by https://mlsdev.com. The right tools and language to allow the developers to quickly and easily create and maintain custom software development tools. When searching for a provider, be sure to ask how many programmers are on staff. The bigger the company, the more programmers it typically has on staff. The third element is experience. Many top software development companies hire new graduates on a full-time basis, allowing them to gain valuable experience in the industry while working their way up. The development process begins with the concept. This section explains the needs of the client, including what kind of software development process they want. If you have specific questions about the requirements of your project, keep in contact with the firm's development team. Most top custom software development companies take your needs and specifications very seriously. You will be working with a dedicated and knowledgeable team of developers who will be willing and able to work with you to make sure your needs are met within your budget and timeline.