PDA

View Full Version : Fishing West Yellowstone

Jim May
05-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Hi All,
I'm headed to Yellowstone Park in a couple weeks on a family vacation. I've never been there and don't really know anything about fishing there. My son in law and I would like to do a drift boat trip one day. If you have someone you have fished with back there on any of the rivers that you would recommend please let me know.
Thanks
Jim May

johnsquires
05-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Most rivers are still running pretty high due to the huge snowpack and runoff. Best to call one of the shops and get their thoughts. Blue Ribbon Flies is in West Yellowstone. (406) 646-7642

aaron
05-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Flies, Madison River Outfitters, and Big Sky anglers are all solid. I'd stay clear of Arrick's or Jacklin's. If the Madison is still high Big Sky Anglers has Henry's Fork permits and its a short drive.

Bob G
05-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Another strong vote for Blue Ribbon Flies.

Good Luck!

yubaman
05-29-2018, 04:47 PM
You know what, you might nail it! Flows are dropping fast. We are going over to fish the Big Hole, Ruby, Beaverhead, Poindexter, etc. from June 6-17. I was getting very worried, especially when the Big Hole hit 10,000 cfs over the weekend, but it is now dropping fast. It is supposed to be down to 6,000 cfs in 1 week, and the Salmonfly hatch is expected to happen during the next week! I assume you will see the same conditions over at Yellowstone.

Good Luck!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-29-2018, 09:22 PM
July, August, September are top months.

Call 'Blue Ribbon Flies' is in West Yellowstone.

https://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/contact/

We encourage you to call us at (406) 646-7642 or (406) 646-9365 with any questions ...

Our mailing address is P. O. Box 1037, West Yellowstone, MT 59758.

Some lakes and spring creeks might be fishing in June?

OceanSunfish
05-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Sent you a PM.

OceanSunfish
05-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Northwestern Energy completed the much awaited dam tunnel project on Hebgen. Cooler water on the Madison for the hotter summers now. Hatches should improve.

Jim May
05-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great info. I've got a drift boat trip booked and will do some d i y fishing. Should be fun I have not done a lot of trout fishing, heck I've never even sat in a drift boat.
Thanks Again
Jim May

yubaman
05-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Jim,

Possibly the most important information you will receive . . . if you want a couple of cold ones, bring them. A guide will not provide those for you!!!

Bob

gitt
05-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Jim,

You are drivng past plenty of good water before arriving in West Yellowstone. If you are driving through Idaho, don't hesitate to stop in Island Park just to stretch your legs at Lawson's Fly Shop or Trouthunters. Then you have Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn just below Quake Lake along the Madison drainage. If you fish on your own inside the park, the Firehole should provide some nice walk in fishing. Be cautious in the meadows especially on grass that feels like you are walking on a waterbed. Had a buddy break through the topsoil and his elbows kept him from going completely under. The worse part was he smelled like sulfur until he could wash off the mud and clean up. Then, no one wanted him in their car. 80) If the runoff blows things out, don't hesitate to give Henry's Lake a try. You can rent boats at Rose's Resort and head to Staley Springs or the county boat launch on the Northwest side of the lake.

The only downside is you have to buy fishing licenses for Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and the park. Pick an area, stick to it and hope you made the right choice.

johnsquires
05-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Jim,

You are drivng past plenty of good water before arriving in West Yellowstone. If you are driving through Idaho, don't hesitate to stop in Island Park just to stretch your legs at Lawson's Fly Shop or Trouthunters. Then you have Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn just below Quake Lake along the Madison drainage. If you fish on your own inside the park, the Firehole should provide some nice walk in fishing. Be cautious in the meadows especially on grass that feels like you are walking on a waterbed. Had a buddy break through the topsoil and his elbows kept him from going completely under. The worse part was he smelled like sulfur until he could wash off the mud and clean up. Then, no one wanted him in their car. 80) If the runoff blows things out, don't hesitate to give Henry's Lake a try. You can rent boats at Rose's Resort and head to Staley Springs or the county boat launch on the Northwest side of the lake.

The only downside is you have to buy fishing licenses for Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and the park. Pick an area, stick to it and hope you made the right choice.

Very good post!!

OceanSunfish
06-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Pick an area, stick to it and hope you made the right choice.

Easier said then done..... but correct. There are so many places to fish it's hard to stay put and focus on the water at hand..... Nice problem to have and then...... there's the scenery!