PDA

View Full Version : Driving/Road Advice Big Bend to McCloud Backroad

BobVP
05-27-2018, 09:00 AM
I am thinking about adventuring from the Pit at Big Bend over the dirt road to McCloud.
I have been down as far as the camp below the dam on the McCloud side but no further.
The map tells me it is about 20 miles and any images I can get on line show winding dirt road.

Anyone here driven that road in the past year or so?
Any advice on where I could get information?

My old Forester has very little trouble with rough roads and I have a tendency to drive slower that most whether it is a freeway or a dirt lane, but I do not want to be foolish.

Thanks.

tcorfey
05-27-2018, 05:38 PM
I drove it two years ago and had no issues. I drove it in my 1996 Pathfinder. Actually the road was all dirt but in good condition at that time. Could have been some damage to it last year but I do not know.

Forgot to mention the road goes by Iron Canyon Reservoir which has a couple of nice campgrounds and can be good fishing too.

StevenB
05-28-2018, 06:32 AM
I have not driven that road in the recent past, but I have been on it many times in years past.
I have almost always driven it from the McCloud side to Big Bend. It is the shortest way from Dunsmuir to Pit 5.
Road is pretty rough at the start (coming from Ash Camp) but once you get up to the top (close to Iron Canyon Reservoir), it smooths out and is a very good dirt road. I would expect it is passable to most any vehicle.
This early in the year it could still have snow on it (but probably not this year because of the light snow pack)

I usually call the store in Big Bend and ask them if the road is open when I want to drive it in the spring:
Pit Stop Store - Big Bend, California - Grocery Store
Phone (530) 337-6254 · Address. 25252 Big Bend Rd; Big Bend, California 96011

BobVP
05-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Thank you Steven and T.
A new adventure awaits...