PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Update -May

cdevine
05-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Just thought I would write a quick update on the east side from some recent trips.

EW is running really nice at 235 CFS. The majority of the river is wide open with wading and crossing not to bad in most spots. Decent pressure on the mile section but below its very open. A couple weeks ago had some amazing skwala stones poppn on NV side with browns coming up and hammering a slightly submerged one. Double Dutch Bug was a solid bet. Streamer bet has been good as well. Fish are very active right now. This fishery overall is in great shape.

The freestones are running pretty high and off color. Not like last year though. Some of these will start to get real fishy into mid June with the below average winter we had.

East Carson still high and off color. I didn't bother fishing it. Close to 1000 CFS. Will be awhile before it gets into form that is worth nost of our time.

West Walker- Similar to EC. Very high and off color. 1000+CFS Took a temp reading along 395 in canyon and it was 45 degrees. Might have better luck up near pickle meadow.

West Carson- This has become a real circus fishery. It gets harvested out as the dump truck unloads fish. Its fun to walk in the meadow later in the season and toss caddis.

I'm looking forward to the high elevation stuff. I think early July this year will be prime.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the report.......

EricO
05-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Cool CD,

Nice brown and report.

I think the freestones will start early as well. Looking forward to when the Truckee hits
about 650 cfs or so. And when I can wet wade again...if ya go down, it's just a
refreshing little dip...hopefully.

I'm also jonesin to get into the Blue Lakes area, but that's going to be a while...got a
secret spot there that I'm dying to fish again.

Eric

cdevine
05-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Thx Eric/Bill. Its really nice to see the health of our streams/rivers/lakes as we crawl out of the 2012-2015 drought. I've noticed healthier/stronger/ and quite frankly a greater population of fish from the previous years where I typically fish.

Blue Lakes area should be nice. You can have a lot of those places to yourself with a little effort.